5. Single Races
The "Single Races" game mode is accessed from the main menu. There are only 2 achievements to be gained from this game mode. No collisions is a nightmare to get. No nitrous is pretty easy to get. Overall, these 2 achievements will require you to spend a bit of time, and you will most likely need to dedicate yourself approximately 30+ Hours.
There are 15 single races available. Every race also has a reverse counterpart This makes for a total of 30 races. Every single race has to be done with all 5 available car types. Theoretically it is possible to work on both achievements simultaneously. Thus you will have to do an absolute minimum of 150 races. However most people will agree, doing them seperately is easier and we are looking at a maximum of 300 races.
Let us start with the easiest achievement to get a feel for this game mode.
Win Single Race with all combinations of courses and machine classes without using nitrous.
This achievement requires you to do 150 races with each class but you can not use Nitrous. Just simply win each race in 1st place without pressing that any nitrous button. This will take some time and you can make an honest effort to do it without collisions. When I was done with this achievement I had about 10 no-collisions done.
My experience with this achievement was one of slow but steady progress. Overall I did not have to restart a lot of races. If you lose then force yourself to go back to the main menu instead of pressing the retry-button. You don't want to lose the miles driven and delay aquiring the achievement for driving 10,000 miles.
On to the tough cookie from this game mode.
Win Single Race with all combinations of courses and machine classes without any collisions.
This is by far the hardest achievement in the game. To get this achievement, you need to win all of the single races with each class of cars without crashing into anything. This means you must successfully pass 13 other cars, not crash into a car, a wall, or an obstacle, and win! There are 5 classes of Cars, and 2 x 15 tracks. This equals 150 races. Here are some tips from myself...
- Use the Unlimited Nitrous Power-Up you've unlocked in World Xplorer. This will allow you to use unlimited Nitrous from the start and when used it gets automatically recharged. This also means the timing of your boosting and drifting can be at beginners-level. Instead try to choose wisely between single, double or triple boost.
- While racing you will find there are some safe positions among your opponents where they will rarely bump into your car. Try to boost past other cars while driving on a straight and reach the next safe position. These positions are: 11, 8, 4 and 1. (+/- 1 position)
- Once you're in first place continue to use nitrous and drive in the middle of the road to avoid the walls. You don't want to suffer the wall-syndrome and hit a wall while the finish is in sight.
- Double and Triple Nitrous will sometimes make your car uncontrollable. Choose a stable car from the mild or normal boost-type. Leave dynamic boost-type cars for the professionals. Keep in mind you have already beaten this race without any nitrous at all.
- Restart the race as soon as you crash.
- If you feel that there is a car which is in your way at the beginning of the race then quit to the menu and re-enter the track. This will change the setup of the cars.
- For a good turn as you drift let go of your RT button. Point your joystick on the controller in the direction you wish to go. Then re-use the RT button and this will give you a great drift while avoiding corners.
There are some tracks which are possible to do the No Collision and No Nitrous at once. It can be easily done on the Lakeshore Drive, Airport and the Aviator Loop tracks. As mentioned before. Make an honest effort to get both but never lose sight of your main priority.
The worst track among them all for doing the No Collision is Secreast District. This track contains a ramp, and if you are going the normal route, you must break near this ramp or you will go flying off it and hit the brick building on the right side. The mirror route is the same, as you must judge your speed when going up this hill! Watch out for cars which are speeding behind you as well. They won't break around that corner easily!
Many people give up on this achievement and admit to being happy with 940G Gamerscore. Win this achievement to consider yourself a Pro!
This walkthrough is the property of TrueAchievements.com. This walkthrough and any content included may not be reproduced without written permission. TrueAchievements.com and its users have no affiliation with any of this game's creators or copyright holders and any trademarks used herein belong to their respective owners.