3. Story walkthrough
Choose a new game and customize your character however you like. The options are quite limited in the beginning but you can change everything (except for the gender since all samurais are male!) with each new start of the game. Don't forget to take a weapon with you, but I can tell that the unarmed stance is also sufficient in the beginning.
We will start right away with our first set of achievements. Upon starting the new game you will watch a few cutscenes (BACK button can skip them) and upon encountering the scavengers on the battlefield you can react in a few ways. In this case, pull your sword (LB) and scare them away. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO KILL THEM! Harming innocents will always result in penalties on your rating and for now, you don't want that! Now head to Takatana village (walk forward and left) and enter it. Go to the left and you should see 2 guys bullying a girl. Take out your weapon and kill the first. Your very first achievement will unlock here for killing your first enemy (you may feel proud)
Fist time killing an enemy.
Now switch to a blunt attack style (called "nasake", use the back button while your weapon is out) and knock the 2nd guy out. This will grant you another achievement.
Defeated an opponent with a Blunt Attack.
Now the girl is some sort of a tutorial help for you, if you need to know, but right now, its not interesting. Take what the dead guy had (a sword and maybe some other stuff, pillage with the A button) and get up the stairs to the right to a farm. Pick up some of the radishes (press A above them) and maybe the weapon-radish (you can use it as a weapon!). Now eat 1 of them, press start and leave Amana. You now should get a rating for vegetarian samurai and around 200 samurai points. What we will do now is repeat that process until we reach 10,000 samurai points, wherever possible, increasing the difficulty level for more points! Upon reaching the 10,000 you will get the following samurai point achievements.
Total Samurai Points exceeded 200 points.
Total Samurai Points exceeded 2000 points.
Total Samurai Points exceeded 10000 points.
While doing that, you will also unlock the following achievements naturally without doing anything for them.
Obtained an extra Sword Safe.
Now we can start to play the game as we like, but first, we will go for a little weapon collection tour. Equip any weapon you want to level up (I used the radish since it earned me quite quickly a new skill) and choose instant kill difficulty (everyone dies within 1 hit). Now get to Takatana as always, kill the 2 guys (optional you can pick up their weapons and sell them) and every guy you see carrying a weapon. Pick that weapon up and return it to your safe in your house (on the right side of the river at the very end). While doing that, your weapon will have certainly gotten a new skill and therefore will give you an achievement for that.
Learned a skill for the first time.
Don't forget to kill the blacksmith, since he has a unique weapon as well (from the river go straight forward, up the winding path and into the small cave). After that rampage we head for the "guarded gate" on your world map. Kill 2 guys, get their weapons and return them to your safe (you only can carry 3 weapons at a time). Rinse and repeat until there are no more guys with weapons in the starting area. Now head to the right and you will see a large building near a small lake. This is the dojo, enter it and kill 1 guy on each floor (drops boken, so take it!). Upon reaching the top, don't hesitate for too long and kill the sensei. Upon doing this you get a new sword and an achievement.
Defeated Sensei at the Dojo.
You also shouldve gotten now more than 10 different weapons and therefore another achievement.
Obtained 10 different weapons.
Now we leave Amana, start a new game on easy and upon entering the city, we leave Amana immediately again. You should get the title "nobody" for a rating of 1%. Do the same for normal, hard and instant kill and the achievement for 5 titles obtained will unlock.
We enter Takatana city again (on easy is recommended, but it's now up to you what you choose) but this time we look for an old lady near the river on the way to your house named Misae (her name is highlighted in purple. every important person has a colour highlighted name, for future encounters). This is a job broker and in nearly each of the major areas there is one to be found. Here a small list for each broker in each part:
- Takatana Village - Misae
- Omiki Town - Oryo
- Amana Castle - Commander Kiyonari
- Castle Minor - Joji
Now complete 50 jobs of whoever you like the most to earn some money. Each time your gains increase which represents the trust of the faction. Try to amass as much money as you can, you will need it later on. After the 50th you will have the following achievements.
Completed a job successfully.
Completed 50 jobs successfully.
Go to the smith and buy with your hard earned cash some weapon parts. Now build a new weapon and upon doing that, another achievement will unlock for forging a new weapon.
Forged a weapon for the first time.
Also the following should unlock for you.
You should've spent around now about 10 hours in total on this game. Therefore you will unlock the following achievement. If not, don't worry, you cant miss this one!
Played more than 10 hours.
We will now concentrate on the jobs Oryo in Omiki town has to offer. One of them includes that you have to break a weapon of a bragard. Let him attack you and block all the time or make sure to hit him only when he blocks. You can aid the process by having a weapon with a sword breaker ability, but that's optional. After some time his weapon will break and will net you a nice achievement.
Broke an opponent's weapon.
Now kill him if he doesn't drop the broken weapon on his own, leave Amana, equip the broken weapon and enter Amana again on instant kill difficulty. Get to the part where those 2 guys bully the girl again and kill one of them with one straight hit. An achievement will unlock there for you.
Killed an enemy using a weapon with zero durability.
Switch to Nasake and do the same with the other guy to get another achievement (careful, you might get killed so be fast).
Defeated an enemy with Blunt Attack using a weapon with zero durability.
Exit Amana again and start a game on easy. Now we go for a relationship with a character. Some of them have large benefits, like they can carry your weapons for you, mend your wounds or provide an additional sword safe. Nonetheless, since there is only an achievement for 1 of them, I will point out the easiest to obtain and leave the rest to your likings. Achievement unlocked with one of the following:
- Momiji : found at Amana castle on day 3 between 10:00 and 16:00 and as soon as you speak to her, she will attack you. Apologize to her and she will put away her weapon. Speak to her and answer "you have reason to kill me" and then "join me"
- Yukino : At Omiki village, after a few inklings you can hire her for 100 yen between 18:00 - 00:00.
- Yuzu : Takatana North in a small house if you have 300 or less HP. Upon talking to her say "oh,mother?" and upon talking to her again, she will join you.
Restart again on easy. Now we go for the Titles. There is a total of 49 titles to be obtained and I will list the easiest I found during my journey. You only need 20 for the achievement, so here we go:
- Nobody : Rating above 1% on easy
- Wanderer : Rating above 10% on normal
- Newbie : Rating above 20% on hard
- Novice : Rating above 30% on instant kill
- Vegetarian samurai : Only use vegetables to restore health
- Gay samurai : Bump into 50 men
- Osei Lover : Bump into Osei 50 times (next to Munechika on the farm)
- Horny Samurai : Bump into 50 women
- Itsuse Lover : Bump into Itsuse 50 times (hit the guard at the back of Minori castle and you will go to a room with her)
- Chatty Samurai : Start 250 conversations (search for Yue in Takatana village. Tell her "you're beautiful" and she now will have 1 conversation option. Repeatedly press A until you can see the title on your profile)
- Angry Samurai : Smash 200 objects (destroy everything in Takatana, leave the area and enter again to grind this one out, nets around 40-50 items each time)
- Dojo Conqueror : Defeat everyone at the Dojo (set the game to instant kill, go to the dojo at the guarded gate and kill all 3 people in the dojo. this earns you also an achievement!)
- Sorry Samurai : Apologize 100 times (doesn't have to be in front of people, your head has to go down to make it count)
- Disturbed Samurai : Kick dead bodies 150 times (look for dead bodies or kill someone and now start kicking away at him)
- Compassionate Samurai : Defeat 30 people with blunt attacks (go on a rampage, easy as that)
These are the easiest 15 I found, for the last 5 choose any of the following one. Keep in mind that higher titles overwrite lower ones, so best is to leave the game as soon as see the title.
- Faithful Samurai : Clear the game with 1 partner (either ending will suffice as long as the partner doesn't die)
- Rich Samurai : Total yen exceeds 10.000
- Princess lover : Bump into Araragi 50 times
- Collector : 100 items total picked up
- Troublemaker : 100 people kicked
- Workaholic : Finish 20 jobs
- Sword Maniac : 15 weapons appraised
- Litterbug : 50 items discarded
- Sword artist : 20 weapons created
- Shy Samurai : finish the game with less than 5 conversations
- Insomniac : Clear the game without sleeping
- Riceaholic : Eat 50 pieces of rice
- Naughty samurai : Shamefully slash 100 people
- Slayer : Kill 300 people
- Merchant : Spend 10,000 Yen (blacksmith doesn't count!)
- Annihilator : Kill 1000 people
- Executioner : 100 Instant kills
- Blessed samurai : Clear the game with less than 1000 points damage received
- Samurai pimp : Have 10 partners
- Holy samurai : Clear the game with less than 100 points damage received
- Harmless samurai : Clear the game without killing anyone (blunt attacks only if needed)
- Martial Artist : Clear the game with only bare hands style
- Impatient Samurai : Clear the game under 1 hour (this is the highest rating you can have, will overwrite EVERY single one, so make sure you spend more than 1 hour in the game!)
- Samurai 4 Ever : 120% samurai rating (also an achievement for that)
- Title king : Attain all 49 titles
We will now concentrate on the following things : earning money (around 30k+), collecting weapons and leveling 1-3 favourite weapons in the process (by leveling, I mean using them). In this game, the higher the level of a weapon and the more kills you can earn, the better it gets (unless it's not breaking). Also the smith can enhance every weapon for a rather high price, so keep that one in mind as well.
Earning money is done, in my opinion the easiest way, by doing jobs at EVERY job broker available until they give you maximum trust and you earn 600+ yen per job. Finish one at a time and alternate between them and you should have a lot of money in quite some time. Alternatively you can kill the head of Ouka clan and claim every day 500 yen for doing nothing. For that you simply have to sleep and visit the job broker every single day. Upon hitting around 30k (the morey you get, the better!) yen, you should've found already around 50 different weapons, if not, farm a little bit with my list on instant kill difficulty.
I also have to mention here that there are independent job brokers in the world as well which offer you mini-game-jobs. In my opinion the one where you can get the most money for the smallest effort is the tuna-cut minigame at castle Amana from the "iron warrior". If you do this on instant kill it will only take you around 15 seconds and earns you 600 Yen!
Obtained 50 different weapons.
Now we wait until day 5 (or do something else until then) and afterwards go to the post station (left on the worldmap of Takatana village). One of the traders will sell skill scrolls for the different weapons/stances/styles. 800 for the barehanded and 1000/1200/1600 for every other one. Now upon having spent ALL your money (use up the scrolls each time when you are full), kill the trader, his guards and everyone else standing in your way (attacking you, not literally standing there!!) BEFORE you leave the area. You should get all your spent money back!! Now leave Amana and rinse repeat until you got every weapon covered you own. This will give you ALL the stance related achievements!! (if not, farm more weapons) Don't be fooled by the short description, this will take A LOT of time considering that you have to carry the right weapon to upgrade and then switch to another one! Also you will have to get every weapon in the game once and upgrade every skill with it. Make sure to use my list to get every weapon possible!
It's up to you if you do this on instant kill or easy, but be warned that if you get killed BEFORE you claim your money back, it's lost! So save before that. This will also unlock the 100 skills learned achievement and master 30 weapons.
Learned a total of 100 skills.
Mastered all skills for thirty weapons.
Mastered all skills of Ninja Dual Sword Stance.
Mastered all skills of Dual Sword Stance.
Mastered all skills of Upper Stance.
Mastered all skills of Middle Stance.
Mastered all skills of Ninja Stance.
Mastered all skills of Draw Stance.
Mastered all skills of Bare Hands Stance.
Mastered all skills of Spear Stance.
Mastered all skills of Side Stance.
Mastered all skills of Single Stance.
Mastered all skills of Lower Stance.
As soon as you finished all the stances you should unlock in the middle of it the following 2 achievements.
Mastered all skills for a weapon.
Learned a total of 10 skills.
We will now concentrate on the Endings. Since I provide a step by step guide in a different list for that, there is no need to go into detail now. However, you will have to kill Shuzen Fujimori as well for an achievement and the endings I recommend are the true ending and ending 21. He is easily one of the toughest enemies in the whole game, with his dual swords (both unique swords of course) and an incredible skill in using them. Without a really good set of weapons and a shitload of healing potions, he is really tough to beat. If you however get maximum trust by doing jobs for castle Amana on instant kill, you can enter his quarters for an audience and kill him off with one clean cut. You might also earn his unique weapons so this is a double win for you.
Defeated Shuzen Fujimori.
Now we go on each difficulty for the endings. While easy and normal are easy enough and don't have any certain ending that's best done on those skill levels, for hard and instant kill I recommend ending #7 on hard and #14 on instant kill. This will take another chunk of time and dedication and even one slight change will change the ending, so be consistant with the list!
Cleared the game in Easy difficulty.
Cleared the game in Normal difficulty.
Cleared the game in Hard difficulty.
Continue playing to unlock this secret achievement. (Secret)
Continue playing to unlock this secret achievement. (Secret)
Completed and discovered 5 Endings.
Completed and discovered all Endings.
There should be now only 3 achievements left to do. Those will need a little bit of practice, that's why I write them here. The first will be for getting a samurai rating of 120%!
Start up a game on normal (higher difficulties make the points earned higher!) with a decent weapon (should have by now one with at least 110 ATK, if not, level up since you will need a good weapon for the boss fight). You will need to act honorably and get maximum trust with Osei (speak to her as often as you can and whenever you can. do the same in between events if possible!). Now we start at Kuchigahara "I've been better" and head down the rice paddy to talk to Kota "calm down kid". Omiki town (cutscene on middle bridge) and talk to Osei. Head to the road, talk to the thugs "stealing is bad you know?", speak to Yuma "i have a grudge with Fujimori" and get to castle Minori's guards "I was approached by one of your guys". Back to the road, event with Sezuen up at the temple. Speak to him until he leaves. Takatana rice tax event "please have mercy". Leave to Kuchigahara, return and talk to Osei in the kitchen. As you exit, event with Munechika "I'll think about it" and "they'll understand someday". To the road and event with Sezuen up at the temple. Takatana rice paddy with Kota "you may end up better than me". Speak with Osei (behind the house), should mention festival and will move down to the field (if not, leave town and enter again and talk to her until she does! This is important since otherwise she won't respond in the ways needed!!). Castle Minori, event with Yuma and speak to him "I sympathize with you". Castle Amana guard at front gate "I have skills to prove" and win the tournament. Takatana speak with Osei between 16:00 and 18:00 "together we could..". NOBUNAGA EVENT. Takatana visit the farm and castle Minori. On Genjuro say "OK" upon finding Yuma "you're OK with dying for nothing?" and beat him with blunt attacks. Back to Takatana village and talk to Ssei "let's leave Amana together". Kill Shinosuke and leave Amana. You should now have 120% samurai rating and therefore another achievement + title.
I also provide a few of the options you should pick when talking to her (I have added the last portion she´s saying!):
- "I wish all the samurai would disappear from this world" - Answers: "You´re absolutely right", "Samurai are a necessary evil", "I fight for that future"
- "I like the people from this village" - Answers: "Whining won´t solve any problems", "Deal with it", "Don´t use weakness as an excuse!"
- "I hate samurai" - Answers: "I don´t mean you any harm", "Isn't that being prejudice?"
- "The sight of a sword is frightening in this village..." - Answers: "I´ll be careful", "Oh..", "The world will change someday"
- "I´ve seen many samurai in my life" - Answers: "There are reasons to fight", "For the future"
- "Oh.. welcome" - Answers: "I´m here to talk to you", "About Amana", "How are the crops?"
- "The flames of war are spreading destruciton across the land" - Answers: "Until there is peace", "Peace will come once the country is united", "I´ll save as many lives as i can"
- "I enjoy this village´s landscape" - Answers: "I think so too", "I like the landscape of the village", "I feel more alive here"
- "Well, well, you again" - Answers: "I want to clear something up", "I´m sorry"
- "Munechika said that eventually a war.." - Answers: "I don´t want to fight"
- "Every fall, Takatana village has a small festival" - Answers: "That´s exactly why you need that festival", "Praying brings people together", "I feel the same way"
These are definitely not all of them. A small tip here is to always answer mature and honorably, this way you certainly won´t fail. Save before you talk to her, just to make things sure.
Continue playing to unlock this secret achievement. (Secret)
The last 2 will be for instant kills. You will have to block in the moment an attack will normally hit you. Now there will flash a button (the first one is ALWAYS the A button!) and as soon as you push it, you enter the instant kill mode. An easy way to enter instant kill mode is to CONSTANTLY spam RB (block button) AND the A button since this is always your first prompt.
Now every enemy will run towards you and engage you and upon pressing the right button you will kill him with one blow. This is a really tough achievement and even 10 will take a lot of practice and dedication, not to mention the 100! Press start as soon as you see the button prompt and button mash the button after getting back to the game. This way you have slightly more time to react, but I can tell, its really hard. You can get this either during a redemption mission where you have to kill 100 to redeem yourself, or either while attacking castle Minori or Amana. Both have infinite spawns, but I recommend Amana since there are way more. Upon getting the 100, you will have both achievements.
Achieved 100 Chain Kills.
Congrats, you now have a 1000 gamer score which you truly can be proud of!
This walkthrough is the property of TrueAchievements.com. This walkthrough and any content included may not be reproduced without written permission. TrueAchievements.com and its users have no affiliation with any of this game's creators or copyright holders and any trademarks used herein belong to their respective owners.