I just got the achievement and wanted to add some additional notes. This was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be.
I used a combination ClubStew
’s references and what MxOxRxRxIxS
said about the “don’t look, won’t destroy” glitch. I tried the “walk backwards” technique but gave up when I realized I didn't need it :)Where does this happen?
This is the last part of Chapter 6 “Our Mutual Fiend”.
Play through the chapter until you’re sent outside to help defend the silo from Striders. Just before you get into the car, look to your left at the map. You have to look around the guard standing in front of it. Notice that the map shows 2 large buildings about half-way down, a Saw Mill near top-center and 2 small buildings at the bottom. What buildings am I trying to save?
The 3 buildings that need to be saved are the 2 large buildings (one on the West side, South of the Cranes, one on the East side, South of the Water Tower) and the Saw Mill (top center). You do not need to save the 2 small buildings South by the Silo because they are not attacked.How many Striders am I fighting?
There are 3 fast and 10 slow Striders plus 1 to 3 Hunters with each Strider.
Strider #1-slow from the Cranes
Strider #2-FAST from Saw Mill (from the East side of the Saw Mill)
Strider #3-slow from Water Tower
Strider #4-slow from the Cranes
Strider #5-slow from the Saw Mill
Strider #6-slow from the Water Tower
Strider #7-FAST from the Cranes and heads to the building South of the Cranes
Strider #8-FAST from the Water Tower and heads to the building South of the Water Tower
Strider #9-slow from the Cranes
Strider #10-slow from the Saw Mill
Strider #11-slow from the Water Tower
Strider #12-slow from the Saw Mill
Strider #13-slow from the CranesWhich Striders destroy the buildings?
Only the FAST Striders (#2, #7 and #8) will attack and destroy a building and each only attacks one specific building. The SLOW moving Striders will just work their way South to the silo and will not attack the buildings, so you have more time to deal with them.Does the “don’t look, won’t destroy” glitch really work?
The “don’t look, won’t destroy” rule absolutely works! It’s ok to look at the 3 buildings UNTIL their respective fast Strider comes out. After that, any peek at the building will cause the Strider to open fire when it gets there. Until you look at the building, the Strider just walks up to it and waits.What other basics should I remember?
- Use the Magnusson
Devices (MD) on the Striders
- Use Rockets
on the Hunters
- Reload the car with a fresh Magnusson Device when ever possible.
- Always clear out the Hunters before you move on. They destroy the Magnusson Devices while you’re trying to stick the Striders.
- I used the Invincibility and Reload cheats with the Rocket Launcher.
Invincibility = LB D-up RB D-up LB LB D-up RB RB D-up
Ammo Reload = Y B A X RB Y X A B RB
- Keep an eye on your Rocket Launcher ammo. If you switch weapons with zero rockets, you can't switch back to the Rocket Launcher and reload. If that happens, just restore the last save.Should I make changes to my controller settings?
YES! You must
at least clear the Gravity Gun quick-select (RB) because the Ammo Reload code uses RB. Also, remember to stand still while entering the codes. (thanks Epsilon Theta
I left the LT, RT and X buttons unchanged and I changed the Sprint command to RS. All the others controls I just cleared (including the Gravity Gun shortcut button). That means that the RB, LB, A, B and Y buttons did nothing when I entered the reload code.How often should I save?
When you get somewhere SAVE. Just before you attack a Strider SAVE. After you kill a Strider SAVE. After you clean-up the Hunters SAVE. If you screw-up and empty the Rocket Launcher and then switch weapons (DOH) you just have to reload the most recent save.So, How did you do it?
OK. Back to the game and the map.
- Before you drive the car outside of the Silo SAVE - Note the date & time of this save. Never overwrite this one in case you need to restart the whole thing. You don't want to replay the whole chapter just to get back to this point!!! All future SAVEs in my description are implied so I’m not going to call them out. Don’t forget!
- The video by mactiddy
(below) is very helpful to take out the first 2 Striders, but the video stops after #4-slow.
- Drive to the Saw Mill and take out #1-slow and #2-FAST just like the video does.
- REMEMBER to refill the Car’s MD before you drive to the next Strider…
- Drive East then South to chase down #3-slow south of the Water Tower.
- Drive North then West past the Saw Mill towards #4-slow at the Cranes.
- Drive East back to the Saw Mill and take out #5-slow.Here is where I deviated from the other solutions
- By now you should have had warnings about #6-slow and #7-FAST.
- IGNORE the warning about #7-FAST coming in from the cranes. Let him just go to the building and wait. He won’t destroy the building unless you’ve peeked at it since he started walking.
- From the Saw Mill drive East then South and chase down #6-slow from the Water Tower.
- Now we’ll go back and get #7-FAST who has been patiently waiting to die at his building South of the Cranes. While driving there, you need to avoid looking at the building. So… from the Water Tower building drive North-East towards the Water Tower, then West past the Saw Mill, to the Cranes then South-West. Drive through the trees and stick to the rocks on the left. Park behind the large boulders before you get to the Crane building. You’ve already been saving often (right?) and this is another good spot to save. You can peek around the rocks and see the Strider just sitting there. Can I peek at the building?
- IMPORTANT Don’t look at the building unless you want to see what happens. In that case, look at the building and note how quickly the Strider destroys it. Then just reload the last save point when you're ready.
- Use the Rocket Launcher to draw out and kill all the Hunters hanging around. Shoot them while looking away from the building. When done, grab the Magnusson Device from the car, peek around the rock just enough to see the Strider, then aim, shoot and kill. You gotta be fast because he’s going to shoot the building soon after you stick him with the MD.Only one Fast Strider left!
- Don’t bother reloading the car with another Magnusson Device from the building you just saved. Just get in the car and drive FAST South then East to the building South of the Water Tower. You’re going there to kill the #8-FAST Strider. Cut through the trees to save time. Park in front of the Water Tower building. Run inside and get a Magnusson Device and then walk North/East towards the Water Tower. Strider #8-FAST will come from the tower and get to you before his Hunters. Proceed to kill him and then clean up the Hunters.WOW It Worked !!!
- EXCELLENT, the last 5 Striders are easy to kill because they are all slow.
- Drive over to the Cranes (after refilling Magnusson Device on the car) kill the Hunters with rockets, then MD Strider #9-slow.
- Back to the Saw Mill for #10-slow
- Over to the Water Tower for #11-slow
- Saw Mill for #12-slow
- Chase down #13-slow who by now is probably half way to the silo.DONE
And congratulations !!!