Here are some useful tricks, that helped me a lot when i finished the Game on Pro back in 2005 on the Cube.
MANAGE YOUR HEALTH
At the beginning of the game, one or two hits could kill you already, so be careful until you increased your health 2 or 3 times. Also some botany for beginners. People who already played RE4 in the past can skip this.
- Green herbs regain little pieces of energy. Can be mixed to increase the effect up to 3 pieces wich i strongly recommend. Use single green herbs only, if you have minor injuries and no space available in your inventory.
- Red herbs multiply the effectivy of green herbs if mixed. Can not be used alone.
- Yellow herbs increase the total value of your health a little bit. Can be used alone or mixed with a single green or a red/green mix. Yellow herbs are rare, so use them wisely. Best thing to make a red/green/yellow mix and only take it, if you are almost dying. This will stack and fully regain your health bar.
and use them to your advance. You may have noticed, that every time you go through a door with loading sequence, a checkpoint is generated. This can be useful decimating large group of enemies step by step (i called this "Hit and Run"). Also, you are able to reload, if something went wrong. For example you took more damage than planed or you wasted to much ammo. Attention: This trick DOES NOT work on the El Gigante in Chapter 2-3. Going back through the door will reset his health!
MELEE COMBAT SAVES AMMO
Use knife and meele attacks as often as possible! Especially on Pro you can run out ammunition faster then you think. Example: Shoot in an enemys knee/face to make him tumble, then get close to him an use a meele attack. When he goes down, stab him with your knife while he is trying to get up. Repeat these steps if neccessary. This also works with more than one enemy at a time. If they are close enough to each other. Use the shotgun and aim for the knees to make a whole group tumble or going down.
DEFEATING EL GIGANTE ONLY WITH YOUR KNIFE
On hard? Is that possible? With a little practise: yes indeed. I made it myself.
Why I did this? I basicly had not much ammo I wanted to waste (I also decited playing without the TMP). If you can predict his movements and always keep some distance while not attacking, he won't be able hit or grab you often.
Chapter 2-1: Note that, if you freed the dog from the bear trap in chapter 1-1, he'll disctract El Gigante most of the time. This makes it a lot easier. Right after the cutscene, turn left and run between the pile and the wooden cart (with the yellow herb). Turn around and wait for EG to come and going to punch. Take a step to the right, so that his punch will miss you. In this time penetrate him with your knife 3-4 times. Then he'll grab a rock to throw at you. Still penetrate him 3 - 4 time but be ready to retreat fast enough before he turns around to attack. When he's chasing after you, run behind one of the trees. While EG grabs it and trys to hit you (watch out for the QTE, usually LT+RT), you can hit him a couple of times. When the dog appears always keep some distance, so that EG will go after the dog not you. Hit 2-3 times when he attcks the dog, then retreat in time. rince and repeat this a couple of times and El Gigante is going down without a single shot fired.
Chapter 2-3: If you choose the right path with the El Gigante, the condition for this to work is that Ashley wears the knight armor. (See "Ashley the knight" below). Just let her stand somewhere and take some steps distance. Attack when EG grabs Ashley. Don't worry, she won't even get a single scratch. :D When he throws her on the ground retreat, than rince and repeat.
Chapter 4-2: Kill one El Gignte by dropping him into the molten metal pod. And if you really want to use the knife here, use the "Dittman Glitch" to outrun his attacks. But i don't recommend knife only here as you dont have any possibility to distract him. But by now your shotgun, magnum, rifle and/or TMP (if you use it) should be powerfull enough to bring him to his knees with few shots in the face.
can be detroyed with a single blast from the shotgun, if you aim for the knees at close range.
finish off Ganados head tentacles monster thingys whatever instanlty. But better not waste them on a single Ganados.
USE YOUR ENVIROMENT TO YOUR ADVANTAGE.
In crowded areas, there are often positions, where the enemies don't have more then two ways to get close to you. So you can take them out from a safe point and distance, as they come to you. But watch out for enemies with explosives, sickles or crossbows, as they may still be a thread, if you don't take them out quick enough. If enemies need to climb up a ladder or jump to reach you, just use your knife so they fall down and get injured. Repeat this, until they die. It may cost more time, but it really can save ammunition and health.
THE "DOOR KICK TRICK"
If you are in a room with doors, you can also use them for your advantage. If a door is closed, and one or more enemies stand right behind, you can see them because of clipping errors. When you know they lurk directly behind the door, kick it open (quickly tap X twice). this will throw them onto the ground (or at least make them tumble) where you can attack them with your knife. Or shoot if you want to.
The following is just a personal suggestion. But i never used ord needed any other weapon than mentioned below.
- Handgun: Don't spend too much cash upgrading your default handgun. Instead, buy the "Red-9" pistol. This can be purchased by the merchant in the tunnel back to the church in chapter 2-2. It's the best handgun in the game. Recommended Accessoire: shoulder pad
- Shotgun: I recommend not to upgrad the standard shotgun more then 2 or 3 steps per category. Instead buy and upgrade the Striker riot-shotgun as soon as availble (I think somewhen in Chapter 4 or 5)
- Magnum: the "Broken Butterfly" is the best revolver in the game. It can be purchased in Chapter 3-1. But it also can also be found in a chamber near the hedge labyrinth. The door is locked from inside. You can unlock the door with Ashley's help after you reunited with her at the End of chapter 3-4. Also note that magnum amunition is rare. So better use it on really big/strong enemys or bosses only.
- Rifle: Again, don't spend to much money upgrading the standard rifle. Instead buy and upgrade the semi-automatic version, which also is available from chapter 3-1.
- TMP submachine gun: Vey usefull for crowd control and against El Gigantes. Buy the shoulder pad for better aiming!
A NOTE REGARDING CHAPTER 5-4
In Pro-Mode, Mike (the chopper pilot) will not help you blowing up the gunners besides the first one. For the rest of this level you are on your own, so it will be pretty though. There a only 2 checkpoints in this chapter (when you unlock the doors). So remember where the enemies lurk and use "hit and run" tactic as often as possible.
GENERAL TIPS MAKING MONEY
Again, people who already played RE4 before might know this already, but for the beginners.
1. Loot everything!
2. If you think you don't need it (spare ammunition, weapons you found or got) then sell it!
3. Always buy the treasure maps! They're absolutely worth every Peseta.
4. Some treasures can be combined (2 or more pieces). So, their individual value will be increased or multiplied. All of the following treasures can be found by buying the trasure map from the merchant and looking for the white star unless otherwise stated.
Combineable Treasures: (thanks to TheDevilHand)
Beerstein + Y,R,G Catseye = 20,000 Ptas
Butterfly Lamp + G,R,B Eye (Obtained by killing Novistadors) = 32,000 Ptas
Crown + Royal Insignia (Kill Verdugo), Crown Jewel = 48,000 Ptas
Elegant Mask + G,B,R Gem = 20,000 Ptas
Golden Lynx + Red Stone of Faith, Green Stone of Judgment, Blue Stone of Treason = 35,000 Ptas
ASHLEY THE KNIGHT (thanks Brettalius & mudder85 for the notes)
If you beat the "Seperate Ways" Sidequest before you start your Pro run, you will unlock a knight armor as a costume. You have to select the "Mafia suit" oufit for Leon in order for Ashley to wear the armor. This will protect her from all damage, even in boss fights, so you don't have to worry about her health all the time. Also, she is to heavy to get carried away by enemies. This makes her the perfect disctraction. You simply can defeat them, while they try to carry her away without avail. Thanks xxxDerVxxx and Shizno759 for the hint.
KNIFE REGENERADORES (thanks katchtwentysix for the note)
Instead of wasting your precious ammunition you also can dislimb their legs and then strafe back when they jump at you. Hit them with their knife when the on the ground. They are not able to move, while you slash them. You need about 50 slashes to finsh them off.