I had a recent review on here but since it was based on a speedrun on the old Halo Combat Evolved, some of you did not like that version and thought it was very different from the new CEA version. Plus the resolution of the first video in my previous solution was not all that great. So I've decided to update a speedrun with a CEA version based on my previous solution's video.
First I would recommend to thumb's up for both of Heavymetal's and Quickdraw's solutions!
I needed a more of a visual walkthrough for this achievement and would like to share the speedrun that I used for a guide. Just follow this video by Mitch3ll (based on Riptor's original speedrun) who completed it at 19:18.
My only suggestions that I can share is to:
- have bandana skull on as suggested before me. Spam grenades and it is imperative for you to pick up a shotgun!
- run through the level as fast as you can to shave off time. If you die the timer resets on your last checkpoint anyways!
- you don't really have to copy the video exactly minute by minute but I would highly recommend grenade jumping since it despawns some of the enemies in certain sections (like grenade jumping some of the doors). Also Rhyolitic has mentioned that it is easier to grenade jump the first wall to the right (right in the begining) on floor one instead of doing the difficult carrier jump. What you do first is throw grenades to kill the carriers that are hiding then go back to grenade jump that first wall to your right and hop into that circular orangy room then grenade jump back to the main hall on the second section where the carrier was hiding (the one you were suppose to use to jump). This should despawn the enemies the same way the carrier jump does.
- something that I forgot to mention that dodi779 reminded me on his comment below is that on top of grenade jumping, you need to... CROUCH JUMP. Basically it's executing a crouch at the top of your jump (if you execute it too early, you don't jump as high). It is kind of awkward when you try to execute it on your controller but with practice it doesn't take too long to learn. This will really help when you need to jump over high walls, especially while grenade jumping.
- there are certain sections on floor 2, 3, and 4 that you can hide back instead of facing swarms of the flood. Just follow the video as a guide.
- I found grenade jumping the last door (right before the end of the level) on floor 4 shaved a good amount of time and avoided the last crazy swarm of the flood. It is a bit tricky since you might have some flood following close behind you. You also need to do it as soon as you get to the door. I would suggest to just spam grenades behind you to kill off some of the flood following you and right when you get to the door as soon as it starts to open do the grenade jump. You can die as many times as you want and retry but if it is too difficult for you, you can just follow the video and take out the swarm slowly.
- also I would NOT use the boom skull since it makes the carriers explosion larger as well! I had it turned on my first day attempts for the cheev and all I can tell you is that I was blowing up and bouncing around like nobody's business!
- also thanks to "ArchTirannus" for sharing this tip with us. "Before performing the first grenade jump at the very beginning, make sure you step underneath the monitor to make him go to the next 'checkpoint'. If not, after doing the second grenade jump the monitor will not follow you unless you go near him, making the flood to spawn all over the place."
If you follow the video as a guide and use all the shortcuts then you're likely to make the the 30 min cut off time with some required skill and luck.
I have to say that this was waaaaay easier for me to get than the "That Just Happened" cheevo since I did that one legit. Hope this helps everyone!
Here is the video that Rhyolitic used by Master RC for the alternative jump which also has commentary!http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_211987...
Credits to Mitch3ll and Riptor from highspeedhalo.net and Rhyolitic and Master RC for the commentary version. I will change the video if there is a better one out but this should be good for now!