*WARNING* - POTENTIAL SPOILERS
As daunting as this achievement might seem, it's really not as bad as one might think. For starters, the main storyline is short as hell - I sat down and started this mode at 10am and finished around 4pm (it was short because i completely avoided side quests and challenges because i'd already completed them in my standard or New Game + modes). Secondly, you can only unlock this game mode once you've finished NG+, and for good reason: If you can't finish NG+, then you shouldn't even be thinking about getting this achievement until you improve. Anyways, here's a couple of tips for all you budding "I Am The Night go-getters":
1. RESTART YOUR GAME
If there is even a shred of doubt that you won't be able to finish a fight, restart. It's completely safe, and gives you another chance to succeed where you previously failed. This piece of advice is the most important.
2. Evade, Evade and... Evade
Seriously, the evade and hit from behind (A + A, X) is by far the easiest and most foolproof way to stack your multiplier up, and is a great way to slowly whittle down your enemies. Most of the combat fights in IATN mode have at least one armoured thug, and I found that the best way to get rid of them was just evading and attacking the non-armoured guys until the multiplier reached five so that you can use the B + Y takedown on the armoured ones.
3. Get rid of guns
Might sound simple, but armed thugs can reset any multiplier you have in an instant. I found that the X + Y destroy weapons combo took too long, so i just settled with either using the Batclaw to wrench the weapons away, or actually attacking them so that they dropped their weapons.
4. Have confidence
Corny, right? But it applies to this game mode so much, especially in predator encounters. If you see a guy standing stupidly in the open (as thugs usually do), take the chance! If you fail, restart. If you don't, keep going. Use gargoyles as much as you can, and if the enemies end up destroying them (which only happens in a few of the encounters), just stick to grates and vents.
5. Practise your Counter
Just continue your New Game + file and pick random fights. The lack of Counter icon in the game actually affects how you play the game initially, so it's imperative that you can counter easily without the icon. Every bit of health counts!
Aside from the Bane encounters, I'd say the Boss fights aren't too difficult at all. If you couldn't beat Killer Croc, you've got a long way to go. Deathstroke's fight was just outright fun, Copperhead's was a LITTLE tricky (but again... evade, evade, evade) and Firefly's was just basic. EDIT
: Using gadgets (such as the concussion grenade and explosive gel) on Copperhead hallucinations gets rid of them, as they will only damage the real Copperhead. Thanks to Blargby for the tip.
Here are my tips for Bane though:
- Be wary of any nearby thugs. Most of the time Bane will take them out with collateral damage, but every other time they're the reason you lose health so quickly in these battles. If you've stunned Bane and are beating him up, remember to counter thugs if they try to attack you during the beatdown.
- When Bane charges at you, SPRINT, then EVADE at the last second. If you evade straight away, he tends to just change his direction to where you leaped to. Also, try not to get stuck in a corner, as Bane will just constantly charge at you.
- If you get the 5x multiplier, use the B + Y combo on Bane ASAP. Every attack you make on him counts, and the B + Y combo does a substantial amount.
- For the final Bane encounter (when he goes berserk), the four simplest takedowns (as far as I know) are the Vent Takedown, Grate Takedown, Corner Takedown and Silent Takedown. And yes, I did them in that order. I think after the first takedown, Alfred tells you to use the electric gates to your advantage, which is a little tricky. You have to kind of steer Bane towards one of the gates and hit X when you're next to it.
That's about it.. If you find your combat/predator skills lacking, you can practise in the Combat Training Module. Also, if you're REALLY desperate, and you completely doubt your ability to succeed in this game (which you shouldn't.. have faith!), then you can just save a backup file on the Cloud. But again, if you just stick to your guns and remember the restart button, you should be perfectly fine. If I can get this achievement, anyone can
Feel free to comment or PM me if you're stuck. Happy hunting!