This is quite an easy achievement, most people will unlock this medal several times on the road to tier X, if they play as a heavy tank or tank destroyer.
If, for some reason, you have chosen light tanks, or artillery, to reach Tier X, then you might struggle to unlock this.
The easiest way to get the "Top Gun" medal is by seal clubbing tier I and II tanks in a tank which is completely overpowered for it's tier.
That tank... is the one and only... T-18.
The mighty T-18
People have always complained that this tank is overpowered, and since it's introduction there have been calls to have it "nerfed" by wargaming.
The T-18 is a Tier II, U.S. Tank Destroyer. This tank can be fitted with a 75 mm Howitzer M1A1 gun, (a tier IV gun,) and it will obliterate almost every Tier I tank that you see in a single hit. Tier II tanks are usually gone in two hits.
It boasts 51mm frontal armour, (very thick for tier II,) with no obvious weakspot. As long as you face your enemies you will usually bounce everything that they throw at you.
It can move at a top speed of 48kph. It reverses slowly. You can get around fast and pick your battles.
It has excellent ramming capabilities. The combination of heavy frontal armour and fast speed means you will always come out on top.
Being a tier II, you will frequently see games filled with tier I or tier II opponents. These games are where you will mop up and dominate the other players, who won't know what hit them.
These players usually don't know where to aim, don't know about weakspots, can't lead their shots, don't bother training their crew, won't spend any silver on equipment, and are usually just trying to graduate to a better tank as fast as they can.
The T-18 should be fitted with binoculars, (to increase your view range,) and a camo-net, (to reduce the chances of being spotted.) You can sell both of these later for a full refund. I would also recommend the enhanced gun laying drive, this reduces your aiming time. However, this is complex equipment, so you won't be able to get a refund when you're done.
It will take you a little while to get your crew exp (tank mastery) up to 100%. You should definitely spend silver on your crew training, to bring their tank mastery up to 80%. It should cost about 50,000 silver for "Regimental School" if I remember correctly.
Don't waste your gold - never, ever waste gold on tank mastery. 1000 gold is a rip-off.
It won't take long to unlock the "T-18 HMC package" - this is the one you want.
Unlocking "Top Gun"
In order to unlock Top Gun you will need to kill the most enemies out of all players in the game. (At least six.) There can only be ONE Top Gun medal awarded in each game.
If someone on the other team kills more than you, then he will get the medal, not you. If two players both have six kills, the award will go to the player who earned the most exp during the battle.
My usual "Top Gun" strategy with the T-18 is to use it as a mid range, explosive sniper.
- You want to be in a Tier I/II game. If you are up against Tier III enemies you will be evenly matched.
- Don't lead the charge. Follow just behind your team mates and steal their kills.
- When an enemy sits still to fire, hit him with the Howitzer. Always try to steal kills this way.
- If you come under fire, always face your opponent. Let your armour bounce their shells.
- Keep your distance from the enemy.
- Don't get flanked.
- Engage enemies one at a time.
- Lead your shots. The Howitzer takes a second to land and fires in a trajectory. Like an artillery shell, it takes longer to land than a regular tank shell.
- If an enemy is moving you need to aim at the ground in front, that his tank is about to be on. This takes practice, you can only master this through experience. You must also account for distance and speed.
- You should only fire when the reticle is at it's smallest. The Enhanced Gun-laying Drive helps reduce your aiming time.
- Avoid other seal clubbers using a T-18.
The rest of it is down to luck. You might head down one flank and find it empty, or you might get swarmed by the entire pack of enemies. You need six kills, so you need to be active, but also careful. Pace is the key.
In a typical game with my T-18, I usually manage four or five kills. Every so often I get six, which is another Top Gun medal for my collection.