This one is even easier now with the latest tutorial update...as of 9/7/17 it's there.
1) Open the tutorial world
2) Go to the blacksmith area and go up the stairs where you'll see 2 blocks of iron stacked on top of each other
3) Open the chest next to them and remove the iron blocks
4) Ensure in your "User Interface" menu you have "Classic Crafting" ticked
5) Go into crafting (Hit X)
6) Place the iron blocks in any of the empty squares and you'll see iron ingots produced. You'll get 9 for each block you craft.
7) Then craft your amour. Easier route is if you turn off Classic Crafting at this point
8) Equip armour.