The best way to go for this is to create a Hellevator close to your home base. A Hellevator is a good way to get underground quickly.MAKING A HELLEVATOR
1. A fast pickaxe is recommended since this will require a lot of digging.
2. Make a hole leading straight down, at least two blocks wide (I recommend five because you can add walls later and line it with material to keep enemies out).
3. Place platforms across at intervals to prevent falling damage, or bring some buckets of water and drop them at the bottom to make a little safe landing area.
4. Add some light sources.
5. You can make branches out to the sides (and add doors) to access underground areas for mining ore or exploring.
6. You can also make this go up into the sky if you are going for Icarus as well.
Once you have created a hellevator, simply go down to "The Underworld" (the area with no background walls and volcanic looking background) and return to the surface. The fastest way to do this is with a Gravitation Potion. If you have built platforms, you can climb your way back out. It is also easier to get out with a set of wings.
While you are in "The Underworld," you can go for:NOTE: You cannot use a Magic Mirror or Teleporter system
to go back to the surface. You have to do it the old fashioned way.QUICK SOLUTION
***Same as 360 version***