The end goal is to build a large key that takes up three spaces of inventory, then go to the EXIT door with the letters ACG on it. This is also the same room that you start in. It's on the eastern wall, two floors above the caves (Called ground floor on the map). Make sure the pieces of the key are in the right order or it won't work.
Follow the map made by Pavero (I take no credit for the map):
Note: The locations of keys, key pieces, and most enemies are random. The door locks are always in the same spot and the colors are the same. (I'm actually not 100% sure if they're always the same or if that's random too)
Before you get anywhere close to getting the pieces of the key you need to unlock a large portion of the doors first. There are 4 different colored "smaller keys" that only take up one space of inventory. They are randomly placed on different places on the map and only open doors that are the same color as the key.
Since there's four you might have to leave one behind to open more doors. Never forget where any keys or key pieces are, there's a good chance you will need them again. In fact write down where you left them, you don't want to search around for 10 minutes if you lose track of them. If you find pieces of the large key, you can leave them on the floor by the Exit door, it will save the location for them.
Once most of the doors are open then you can grab the pieces to the large key. There's always a piece in the attic, and there's usually one in the caves. The third one is randomly on one of the middle three floors.
The worst part is the pieces of the large key look like other items. The important thing is that they are always yellow. This is a brief description of each piece:
1. Looks like a crown on it's side (The key loop so you can put it on a keychain)
2. Looks like a trumpet (has a G, where the trumpet handle would be)
3. Has the letters A C under a line
Other things to note:
1. **IMPORTANT** The middle room of the basement always contains a key that is the same color of the doors that lead into it. That means there is no way into that room except to fall from the floor above (The ground floor). There are three holes on that floor. The one in the top right corner always drops you to the caves. The other two might drop you into that room. It was different for me on different playthroughs.
2. Don't be a hero. Use the infinite lives cheat. Hold
until the Rare menu comes up. Go under options, hit
, turn on the cheat and save yourself some sanity.
3.. The classes don't have much of a difference. Knights can teleport through clocks. Wizards teleport through bookcases. Serfs teleport through the large yellow barrels that say 1884.
Teleporting always takes you to the same place each time you do it and it's always on the same floor. It's usually in a straight line to the other side of the floor you're on. It's not too useful, and will probably just confuse you if you're new to the game.
4. Other items don't do much, especially since you'll have infinite lives on. You can ward away some of the special boss-like enemies with them, but they mostly take up space. Make sure to pick up each one you come across at least once for the "Inventory Management" achievement. If you don't need it a quick way to do this is hit
There are at least 45 locked doors. Since you're going through the castle 3 times you should unlock the "Redefine Keys" achievement.
The first time you run through this, you will probably get around 40-60 minutes. Later runs you might be able to get 20-30 minutes.
Please let me know if there's anything I'm missing. A lot of things are random and there is very little information on the internet for this game.