The first survival mission is unlocked after mission 6 of the campaign. This survival round is called "GI Joe Survival".
The survival round is difficult compared to the other early missions. You will face several wave´s at once, which mean that your towers will be under constant pressure. It´s more than likely that you will constantly lose towers if you don´t rescue them.
1) Don´t repair towers. Instead use your money for the hitpoints upgrade of your tower. This upgrade has some advantages over repairing:
- The first two levels of the upgrade are cheaper than repairing
- The tower has full health after the upgrade anyway
- The tower has more health points after the upgrade
2) Start with an anti tank tower and upgrade this tower immediately, because wave two consists of jeeps, which are so fast, that they are at your base before the troops of wave one (infantry). Take control of the anti tank tower and try to score high enough to earn your hero usage.
3) Use as much anti tank towers as possible and make use of splash / area damage upgrades. There is a high amount of enemys and single target towers are not very useful because of that.
You have to build one anti air tower, because after some waves aircrafts are coming. These aircrafts will focus your towers and destroy them, if you don´t have at least one anti air tower. I wouldn´t upgrade the anti air tower, because there are much more ground units, which has the highest priority.
See the video below for my solution. My aiming was mostly bad, despite of this I have managed to get the achievement, because I have build the towers efficient and had a good start.Additional and more easy solution:
from Elite1111111111 & MikeProcurator
There is a He-Man survival after the third mission. The mission plays very similar to the other survival. There is no need for anti-aircraft, you will not face planes during the first 10 waves.
Probably there's a survival vs. each of the DLC Armies every 3 levels.