So here's what I did. The bad part is it's not a sure-fire strategy, as part of this requires luck. The good part, though, is that you can 1) do the practice round as many times as you need to get a firm grasp of the rules, and 2) if you lose for real, you can challenge him again and again. I got it on my second try.
The rules are as follow:
- Ivo and the Red Pirate both get five six-sided dice.
- Each die is labeled 1-5 with the sixth side being a star. The star acts as a Joker in a card deck.
- One person rolls their dice and claims what they have. The hands are the same as poker.
- The other person says if they are lying or not.
- If an accusation of lying is given, that person shows their hand. If they were lying, they lose the round. If they were not lying, the accuser wins the round.
- If an accusation of lying is not given, then the next person rolls and the process starts over.
- When you make a claim of your hand, it must be higher than your opponent's previous claim.
- Once you've rolled, you can choose to keep your hand or re-roll any of your dice. This sometimes helps, but not as often as I would have liked.
- There are five rounds, and the first to win three rounds wins the game. Each win is denoted by a small stone that you take to your side.
A few tips to help out (since it's a game of chance, these might not help:
- Red seems to usually start (for me) with claiming he has three-of-a-kind or a straight. I found that believing him works the best on this, as he usually has three of a kind and will win the round if you call him a liar.
- If you manage to get four-of-a-kind on your first roll (either through actually having four-of-a-kind or having some stars that make that work), then you've pretty much won that round. If he calls you a liar, you've won. If he believes you, he has to say he has five-of-a-kind, and calling him a liar usually works, winning you the round.
- If you have a bad hand, even after re-rolling, you may just have to suck it up and take the loss. That's what rematches are for, after all.
These are really the only tips I can give. Just keep at it and you should have three rounds in no time. Once you've beaten him, the achievement should pop and Ivo will receive the Pirate outfit.