If you are still having trouble turning in GULAG RECON side quest:
The solution to delete the game, reinstall and play offline without update did not work for me on the XBOX X. Here is what i did to test and solve this issue, which after hours of effort, was finally solved.
1. Attempted to uninstall game, reinstall and play offline. Result: game wouldn’t load, just got Black Screen.
2. Attempted to uninstall the DLCs. RESULT: got error message about a Durango file missing and only option was to Terminate.
3. Reinstalled DLCs. Tried to load game again. Result: BLACK SCREEN. The game simply would not load in offline mode on the XBOX X.
I began to realize this offline solution would not work on the X, so i decided to move my external hard drive to the standard XBOX One console that i still have and try from there.
1. Tried to load game RESULT: Game loaded but only option was to start a new game. Because i was offline, it was also not syncing save file from cloud.
2. Went online to go ahead and download the update, so that i could sync from the cloud after it was done. I was going to go ahead and delete the game again once update was done and game was sync’d, so i could install and turn in that mission offline.
3. I decided to try to load the game mid-update but it was stuck on the resume option. Update was only halfway thru.
4. Tried a few minutes later and it let me load the game AND TURN IN THE MISSION.
I did not need to wait for update to finish, i did not need to uninstall, and reinstall offline without update which was the next plan.
I should get an achievement for all this time and effort required just to turn in one tiny little side mission.
Developers, you need to fix this glitch. You may have solved it on the standard XBOX One, but the solution to uninstall and reinstall/play offline to turn in the one mission, does not work on the XBOX X. At least it didnt for me.
I hope this helps anyone else having same problem, and if so, i hope you still have your standard XBOX ONE.