tldr: Tired of trying to keep up with who you've done what with for achievements? Click my spreadsheet link below and start tracking it!
This is not a specific guide but more so a checklist along with some tips for tackling this game as a whole. There are other excellent, very detailed guides for unlocking each specific achievement.Background
When I decided to start Killer Instinct from scratch in early 2021 (began 3/26/21 and finished 6/21/21), I decided that I needed a way to guide and track my progress to completion in the most efficient way possible. With a base game of 94 achievements and 28 DLCs which is composed of 23 characters, a ranked MP DLC (League Title Update), a story mode (similar to MK's ladder system), an RPG type mode (Shadow Lords 1 & 2), and Shadow Mode (machine learning type bot simulator) that made up another 370 achievements, this game was going to take some time and coordination. Info
I created a spreadsheet by exporting all of the Achievement Titles, Achievement Descriptions, and Gamerscore from TA. I added the following columns:
- Order: to keep the initial achievement order
- BASE/DLC: determines if the achievement was part of the base game or one of the DLCs
- Release Date: for sorting purposes
- Type: I created 23 "Types" of achievements in this game, most are repetitive across characters (i.e. win versus match with [insert character])
- Character: let's you know which character the achievement applies to. There are 29 characters in total. Some achievements are assigned to "Any" meaning those do not apply to a specific character. Omen does not follow the normal DLC achievement path rather it has 5 random achievements tied to it.
- Unlocked: put an "x" in the cell if you have unlocked it. This ties in with the Pivot tab where you refresh the pivot tables to show your percentage complete.
If you decide to use the spreadsheet, start by deleting all of the x's in the Unlocked column on KI TA tab
(not to be confused with the KI TA sortable tab which is used for sorting to your hearts desire without messing with your main tab). Once you start filling in "x" 's in the KI TA tab, you can refresh the Pivot tab to see your progress based on Type and/or Character.https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15H3gCJi-Jlv7KOkrHUn0...
I hope this spreadsheet helps for anyone starting this beast of game that is quite fun. It was more time consuming than challenging but overall I really enjoyed it.Tips:
- Complete the Shadow Mode achievements first as these have broken in the past and were unobtainable for a while before they patched it.
- Find a hardcore, dedicated group to boost ranked achievements. Playing this game legit online will take a while and will be pretty tough!
- Try to have fun with Shadow Lords Mode, once I understood how it worked (which just took playing it a while) it was a lot of fun!
- Keep a second controller handy for some of the Fight Challenges. For example, blocks can be done easily by rubber banding your main controller to block while you perform a move with the second controller.
- If you haven't already, read through the Walkthrough. It was well done up to the point before the writer quit updating it. For the rest, read through the guides and of course, the comments on the guides for good info.
Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions to make the spreadsheet better.