This is the first major boss fight in the game but before starting here are a few suggestions, which are completely optional, however they will make life easier. If you just want to go to the fight, skip to the The fight
section below or to the 2 minute mark in the video.
- Shinobi Firecracker Prosthetic Tool:
It's useful to have this tool to scare the boss' horse and allow you to get a few extra hits in. It's located in Ashina Outskirts on a hill, just after the fight with General Naomori Kawarada. This location is difficult to describe but it's in the video. You need to purchase Robert's Firecrackers from the Crow's Bed Memorial Mob and take it back to the Sculptor to fit but bear in mind you will need 500 Sen.
- Ugrading your health:
You can do this by collecting four prayer beads from defeated mini-bosses. To get mine I killed:1) General Naomori Kawarada2) The Chained Ogre3) The Shinobi Hunter Enshin of Misen4) Juzou the Drunkard
There's a hidden prayer bead immediately after Juzou the Drunkard in the Hirata Audience Chamber, so you can get away with killing three bosses for your first health upgrade. I've shown the location in the video.
- Healing Gourds:
As well as upgrading your health, I would also suggest getting some extra Healing Gourds. You'll get one after defeating General Naomori Kawarada and another in the room above the wall after beating the Chained Ogre.
- Grappling Hook Attack and Medicine Potency:
The final stage of preparation is to buy the grappling hook attack skill and to upgrade your healing items with Emma's Medicine Potency skill. These are both in the Prosthetic Arts tree.The fight
So, with all the preparation complete, here are some tips for the actual fight:
- As soon as the boss appears lock onto him by clicking the right stick and then attack him immediately - you can get 5/6 free hits before he starts attacking you.
- Try to stay close, it's all about getting the boss' posture bar in the center full and then going for a finisher. If you move too far away, his posture reduces and you'll have to fill the bar again. So focus on countering and chipping away his health but keep up the pressure.
- When he moves away, if a green triangle appears above him, use the grappling hook to pull yourself to his position and get a couple of hits in, then counter. Although if you see him start to swing a chain you might find it safer to move back out of range until the attack finishes.
- Try not to get too greedy with the hits, get a couple in and then counter his inevitable attack. It's very easy to be overwhelmed but if you counter and then get a few hits in you'll eventually wear him down.
- Pace yourself, this is a two stage fight but both parts are identical so you can use the same tactics. Keep an eye on your health and if you do die, as I did, resurrect as quickly as possible and begin attacking again. If you delay the boss' posture bar will reduce and you'll have to work on it again.
- Use the Shinobi Firecracker Prosthetic Tool to scare the horse, then move in and attack for some easy hits but beware he does counter quite quickly.
This fight took a long time to get the hang of but once it clicked, I could get him almost to the end of his second health bar regularly. Not to say this is an easy fight, it isn't but it is doable and it's quick if done correctly. I've consistently managed to get this to around 4 minutes.