This will be one of the last achievements you'll unlock, or probably the last one if you are not paying for crystals (like me).
As a non-paying player, to unlock the achievement took me:
- 2 months
- 1 hour / day average playtime
- 2.200 matches (versus + horde) approximately
- 46 average power spent each match
Since the P2W mechanic does not offer any kind of boost or advantage in terms of power spent, the above math can be applied to both paying and not-paying players.Lose-to-grind strategy
If you want, for any reason, to grind for the achievement, you should use a defense/area control setup. You main goal is not to win the match, but to spend as much time as possible spamming pins: your ideal outcome is a tie, since if you spam pins for the total match + sudden death time, your power spent will be an average of 120 per match!
I found the most effective setup for defense/area control to be a grenade based
one.*** EDIT February 2020 ***Hammer of dawn
pin has been replaced by Power generator
Your setup should include:
- Emergence hole
- Ink grenade
- Frag grenade
- Shock grenade
- Stun grenade
- Power generator
- Sam Byrne (until nerf)
The 2 remaining slots are up to you; I personally went for Drop Pod
, and Nemacysts
, but probably some ranged pins will do the trick aswell.How to use this setup
You are aiming to block the opponent.
- Sam Byrne is an extra stun grenade (plus area damage), so use it whenever possible to keep control of the first cover line.
- Hammer of dawn is very effective when your opponent plays a high-health pin.
- Frag grenades are good against ranged pins.
- Stun, shock and ink have to be used in combination to take care of large groups of pins.
- Emergence hole counters your opponent's Emergence hole or Seeder.
You can therefore integrate the strategy with your custom pins.Should you match against a de-ranking player, just keep spamming grenades in the middle of the area: remember, you are going for a tie!
The effectiveness of the setup obviously
depends on your pins level, but I found it quite viable in arena 6 and bronze league with pins in the above screenshot.
So spam power with the grenade setup, switch to your main setup to get chests and win streaks, then back to grenades setup. Rinse, repeat and enjoy!