I received this achievement last December and I think I have a pretty solid strategy to earn it for those of you who do not have it.
I. Join any match in any playlist and use any leader. All of these criteria depend on your taste of preference in how the game is played.
II. Utilize strategy and quick decisions to overpower the enemy into submission until they are eliminated. This portion of the strategy to acquire this achievement requires that the player understands the unit interaction and characteristics within the game. Here is a list of notable traits that has been provided courtesy of developers from www.halowars.com:
In Halo Wars every combat unit has an armor type and at least one weapon (often more), while each weapon has its individual damage, damage type and accuracy stats. Every attack in halo wars has a specific weapon associated with it even special attacks such as grenades or canister shot have separate specific weapons just for that special to use.
The first item we will look at it is the accuracy system in halo wars and how individual projectiles are directed when fired at the enemy. Every weapon has individual accuracy ratings that determine how accurate the attacks it makes are; the first rating is a straight chance to have the projectile be fired true while the second rating is used to determine how far off the aim is if the attack is not perfectly accurate. After the projectile is fired all that is left to find out is what unit is actually hit as a weapon can “roll” a miss and the enemy can move into the projectiles path.
After a projectile actually hits a target comes stage two of combat where the armor type of the unit being hit and the damage type being applied are used to look up a damage modification. The final damage is calculated by multiplying the base damage by this damage modifier.
A simple example of this is a marine firing on a scorpion with his rifle which for this example we will say does 10 base damage, now then the scorpion is armor type “Heavy armor” and the rifle does damage type “small arms fire” so we cross reference small arms fire and heavy armor on the table and get 0.4 modifier. The final damage will 4 damage done to the scorpion tank, calculated by taking the base damage (10) and multiplying Is by the modifier (0.4).
Overall the damage system is relatively straight forward with the main complexity coming from the number of armor and damage types but where feasible like type weapons share like type damage types. The machine gun on a scorpion does the same damage type as on the warthog for example. Also most game units have a fairly straight forward armor type except for a few special cases I will not be covering (but they are not important for this article).
Some base Armor types in Halo wars:
-Light infantry: Marines, Grunts, Jackals, brutes, Elites
-Heavy Infantry: Flamethrowers, Hunters, Cyclops
-Medium Armor: Warthogs, Ghosts, Choppers, Wolverines, Cobras
-Heavy armor: Scorpions, Wraith, Elephants, Scarabs
-Aircraft: Hornets, Banshees, Vultures, Vampires
-Building: Bases, Buildings, Turrets
Some example of damage types
1. Heavy MG and plasma
-Plasma pistols and rifles
-Plasma cannons on ghost, banshee and wraith
-Heavy machine guns on warthog, scorpion and hornet
2. Anti air missiles/ needles
-Wolverine anti air missiles
-Turret anti-air missiles
-Vulture anti-air missiles
-Vampire heavy needles
-Turret anti-air needles
-Marine grenade/ RPG special attacks
-Grunt plasma grenade special attack
-Wolverine grenade mortar
4. Sniper attacks
-Covenant anti-infantry plasma mortar turret
The following percentages show how effective each weapon type is when combating: Light Infantry, Heavy Infantry, Medium Armor, Heavy Armor, Aircraft, and Buildings, respectively.
(Weapon X): 100%, 150%, 0%, 200%, 50%, 250%
means that a weapon of "X" quality would do normal damage to light infantry, 1.5 times that to heavy infantry, no damage to medium armor, double damage to heavy, half damage to aircraft, and 2.5 damage to buildings.
160%, 120%, 120%, 40%, 180%, 40%
120%, 120%, 100%, 60%, 300%, 60%
80%, 60%, 160%, 120%, 80%, 160%
400%, 300%, 40%, 20%, 40%, 20%
300%, 200%, 40%, 20%, 40%, 40%
Here is also the url for the link to download and/or study the Halo Wars tech tree:http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/D4B911A1-A5DB-4AC6-B55....pdf
Understanding what energy levels will make it easier to be able to manage your resource income until you are able to produce stronger units.
Also, if you would like to understand all of the units in Halo Wars to an incredible degree, you can study the unit stats spread sheet provided by Halo Wars developers through halowars.com. Use this link and open the spreadsheet:http://www.halowars.com/assets/units/HaloWarsUnits.xls
Personal notes from experience of playing Halo Wars for as long as I have been:
- Being able to scout enemy bases is a double-edged sword. Beware of enemy scouters but don't always be too shy to scout yourself.
- Sometimes the resource gathering phase in the extremely early period of the match can make or break your chances. Be careful but remember to stay assertive and collect those free resources.
- Micromanage units as well as possible. To some of you (especially those who are here to boost) might not know what this is all about so I have posted a youtube link following this strategy to help you understand "micro'ing".
- Communication is key. You have an extremely higher chance of winning matches and, thus, obtaining bonus experience points for being the victor if you are able to talk with your teammates (obviously, if you play 1v1 then this does not apply to you).
- Think on your toes. Hypothetical situation: If you have massed a lot of marines and are going to attack your covenent enemy only to find that he has an equally large amount of anti-infantry waiting at his base, do you continue to pump out infantry? No! Keep him occupied with your units by micromanaging them and killing as many as possible while you destroy your barrack(s) and start building some machinery (aircraft preferrably since if you switch to tanks, he could just as easily begin hunters).
- Experience is the biggest key to this. Just keep playing matches and you will catch the hang of the strategy required for success in Halo Wars.
Using these tips and guidelines, you too can achieve the Halo Wars rank of general. I hope this strategy helps all who read it. Thank you.
P.S.- Yes, I know that FJ is the Halo Wars player providing the micromanaging youtube video. For those of you who do not know who FJ is, it would definitely help you to watch some of his videos. His youtube account name is FJ509.