Industry News

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Xbox Live Rewards Becomes Microsoft Rewards in June

• x ALBANACH xx ALBANACH x518,404
    Posted on 06 April 18 at 19:05, Edited on 06 April 18 at 19:38 by x ALBANACH x
    Vok 250 said:
    Johnny Ola said:
    They made the switch six months ago in Canada. I like the new program better. Xbox Live Rewards was pretty awful.
    MS pulled the wool over your eyes then. If you crunch the numbers. Microsoft Rewards is a ripoff compared to Xbox Live Rewards. The only reason it doesn't suck right now is because they grandfathered in the MyVIP rewards levels.
    The last I read, the MyVIP reward tiers were only being honoured until Dec 31st. Has that changed?

But, in what way is it a 'rip-off'? Almost every activity giving any real return in Xbox Live Rewards involved spending money. The 10% rebate everyone is crying about losing involved spending £1200 in the first place.

Microsoft rewards on the other hand will (without considering any seasonal discounts or promos) give me 12months Gold + 6 months Game Pass over the course of a year without having to spend a single penny. If instead, you were to spend a years worth of points on store-credit it averages out at £55-£60, again, without having spent any actual money.

I can't quit grasp how that is in any way worse than a system that only incentivises you to throw ever increasing amounts of cash at it - XBL Rewards is practically pay-2-win.
  • Posted on 06 April 18 at 19:11
    Yeah, you can "spend" your MyVIP gems, but unless you have enough for a console, you can't get anything because all of the digital content that you can afford if you don't spend your entire paycheck every week is "sold out".... how do you sell out of digital content? Literally, the only things I can buy are the consumables in one or two games that I don't play, so those points are now useless and saving them for something bigger ended up being a pointless endeavor for me. Oh well, it was free, right?
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 06 April 18 at 20:39
    Minishills is so terrible, they really are too big to fail. The terms of service is completely illegal but nobody notices, or cares for that matter. And their binding/non-binding agreements they try to force you into, here is something for microsofts lawyers:

[W]e therefore hold that where a website makes its terms of use available via a conspicuous hyperlink on every page of the website but otherwise provides no notice to users nor prompts them to take any affirmative action to demonstrate assent, even close proximity of the hyperlink to relevant buttons users must click on—without more—is insufficient to give rise to constructive notice. While failure to read a contract before agreeing to its terms does not relieve a party of its obligations under the contract, Gillman v. Chase Manhattan Bank, N.A., 73 N.Y.2d 1, 11 (1988), the onus must be on website owners to put users on notice of the terms to which they wish to bind consumers. Given the breadth of the range of technological savvy of online purchasers, consumers cannot be expected to ferret out hyperlinks to terms and conditions to which they have no reason to suspect they will be bound.

That means that sending an email to your users is not sufficient to force someone into a binding agreement. Quit trying to be sneaky meistershucks.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 06 April 18 at 23:30
    Wont be long before every games launch from dash will push microsoft rewards and the awful sounding 'bing', load a save and another bing ad, create a save and another bing ad, exactly the reason why I stopped playing that crappy 360 free to play gameshow game that was nothing but one big awful ad for 'bing'.

Whoever thought up the name bing and expected that change to destroy 'google' I have a nice lump of beechwood always at the ready, and for whoever ok'd the name as better than 'msn' well they are beyond any kind of help. Msn search failed because it simly did not get the quality of results google always did, changing the name to bing was never going to help, in fact it probably made it worse. Google is google, bing is a sound that will grate at least 50% of any population, and yes I am one that it grates.
  • JBS 80JBS 80789,549
    Posted on 07 April 18 at 06:23, Edited on 07 April 18 at 06:25 by JBS 80
    MetalGearMark said:
    But, in what way is it a 'rip-off'? Almost every activity giving any real return in Xbox Live Rewards involved spending money. The 10% rebate everyone is crying about losing involved spending £1200 in the first place.
    True, in a way, but the point is that the rebate system actually rewarded people that spent money in the Xbox store, If a person that spent £1200 and gained the 10% rebate were to spend a further £1200, then they would benefit from a discount of £120. Under Microsoft Rewards a spend of £1200 without the rebate is worth the equivalent of £3. Don't read this as me being salty about losing the rebate, as I've spent nowhere near enough in the past year to achieve even the lower tier of the rebate (I had a 2% or 4% rebate a few years ago, and I was happy with this while it lasted).

Anyway, the main reason for this post is to inform people reading this that the XBL rewards Vault has been restocked somewhat. The 3-month and 12-month Gold subscriptions are available, and there's a few extra game-specific currency options at the lower tiers that may be of value to some players. I have 1358 gems, and I won't reach 2000 (which was my goal for the 12-month Gold sub) before the switchover, so I should probably get the 3-month Gold code now while it's available. But I'm going to hold out for a bit to see if the rewards credits come back in stock (I'd be able to get 25 Euro worth for 1250 gems). I hope this doesn't bite me in the ass and I end up with the Microsoft Rewards equivalent of about £3.50 come June.
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead787,542
    Posted on 07 April 18 at 12:47
    GroungeMunky said:
    Kugare said:
    I'm not really happy about this. I believe with the new system we lose the VIP discount, in my case the 10% 5 star discount. As someone who probably buy digital games for around 1000€ each year the 10% was a really nice thing.

Now i can create a 5000 point goal for a 5€ gift card and i'm slowly making progress. rolllaugh
    "Microsoft Rewards has two status tiers: Level 1 and Level 2. Earn and keep Level 2 status by reaching 500 Microsoft Rewards points each month - no matter how you earn points, they all count toward your status.
    Level 2 members can earn five times more points on Bing.com, save up to 10% on rewards from Microsoft products and services, and get access to exclusive offers"

"How it works
    When you purchase qualifying content from the Microsoft Store, as a Level 2 member, you’ll earn 10 points per pound spent, plus bonus points.

Bonus points are based on your MyVIP Star Rank as of 31 May 2018. As is the case Xbox Live Rewards, you must keep your Xbox Live Gold membership active throughout the entire month to earn the Gold Points."
    5* =100 points
    4* = 80 points
    3* = 60 points
    2* = 40 points
    1* = 20 points

Reward points can only be used on the rewards catalogue on the Microsoft rewards site. But most of it i just 200 - 300 points to be entered into a prize draw.
    It’s almost impossible to reach level 2 as there are only 300 points available each month.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • Posted on 07 April 18 at 14:30
    HolyHalfDead said:
    GroungeMunky said:
    Kugare said:
    I'm not really happy about this. I believe with the new system we lose the VIP discount, in my case the 10% 5 star discount. As someone who probably buy digital games for around 1000€ each year the 10% was a really nice thing.

Now i can create a 5000 point goal for a 5€ gift card and i'm slowly making progress. rolllaugh
    "Microsoft Rewards has two status tiers: Level 1 and Level 2. Earn and keep Level 2 status by reaching 500 Microsoft Rewards points each month - no matter how you earn points, they all count toward your status.
    Level 2 members can earn five times more points on Bing.com, save up to 10% on rewards from Microsoft products and services, and get access to exclusive offers"

"How it works
    When you purchase qualifying content from the Microsoft Store, as a Level 2 member, you’ll earn 10 points per pound spent, plus bonus points.

Bonus points are based on your MyVIP Star Rank as of 31 May 2018. As is the case Xbox Live Rewards, you must keep your Xbox Live Gold membership active throughout the entire month to earn the Gold Points."
    5* =100 points
    4* = 80 points
    3* = 60 points
    2* = 40 points
    1* = 20 points

Reward points can only be used on the rewards catalogue on the Microsoft rewards site. But most of it i just 200 - 300 points to be entered into a prize draw.
    It’s almost impossible to reach level 2 as there are only 300 points available each month.
    Depends where you live. I already have 1,300 points this month alone.
    Dead Rising Survivalist: 17d 06h 58m (PS4 ; 2nd), 17d 06h 56m (Xbox One ; 1st) Xbox 360 : 17d 07h 00m (hacked leaderboard)
  • GMNGMN496,316
    Posted on 07 April 18 at 15:36, Edited on 07 April 18 at 15:39 by GMN
    HolyHalfDead said:
    GroungeMunky said:
    Kugare said:

"How it works

5* =100 points
    4* = 80 points
    3* = 60 points
    2* = 40 points
    1* = 20 points

you can get at least 160pts per day what are you talking about dude?

Microsoft rewards, is just bing rewards pal.

90 points pc search

60 points mobile

10 daily

providing i dont miss any days i get around 5000+ per month
  • PhilmnatorPhilmnator289,516
    Posted on 07 April 18 at 18:19
    I've had an account since the beginning apparently, but ultimately used Microsoft Rewards (formerly Bing Rewards) far more anyway. The latter has been quite awesome so I'm down
  • Kerrysgold1Kerrysgold1101,383
    Posted on 09 April 18 at 10:12
    It's totally based on your spend. They could changed the system, & add a tile to the home screen ( like gold ). I earn very little, because I spend nothing in the store.
    Posted on 09 April 18 at 11:02, Edited on 09 April 18 at 11:04 by HolyHalfDead
    GMN said:
    HolyHalfDead said:
    GroungeMunky said:
    Kugare said:

"How it works

5* =100 points
    4* = 80 points
    3* = 60 points
    2* = 40 points
    1* = 20 points

you can get at least 160pts per day what are you talking about dude?

Microsoft rewards, is just bing rewards pal.

90 points pc search

60 points mobile

10 daily

providing i dont miss any days i get around 5000+ per month
    In New Zealand they add one search worth 10 points every 3 days. It would take me well over a year to earn 5000 points.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • XellizXelliz377,059
    Posted on 09 April 18 at 12:57
    I've gained 402 gems in April alone and from barely doing anything. Good thing those are worthless now since the store is out of stock and worthless later when they lose 99% of their current value.
  • Mince lfcMince lfc3,240,068
    Posted on 10 April 18 at 14:45
    GroungeMunky said:
    Kugare said:

"How it works

5* =100 points
    4* = 80 points
    3* = 60 points
    2* = 40 points
    1* = 20 points

Sorry maybe a stupid question, does purchases need to be made on the Microsoft store website for points per pound and bonus points? or can you still get the points when purchasing from/on the xbox store itself
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 23 April 18 at 16:14
    So far I can see the change will only be in Canada as for now. All other seems to keep Xbox Live Rewards (but guess will change at later stage).
    Mixer & YT: KlikoTV
  • Posted on 23 April 18 at 20:20
    No, US is changing to Bing Rewards as well.
  • MathGuy42MathGuy42836,448
    Posted on 05 May 18 at 00:23, Edited on 05 May 18 at 00:24 by MathGuy42
    According to this tweet from XboxLiveRewards
    ATTENTION ALL GEM HORDERS! We’ve just restocked the MyVIP Vault with some of the most requested items. Remember, it’s first-come, first-served but we’ll be restocking again soon! https://bit.ly/2jiSFMg
    I was able to request 10K Reward Credits. A message said I should see them within 96 hours.
  • Elite1111111111Elite11111111111,156,983
    Posted on 05 May 18 at 00:35, Edited on 05 May 18 at 00:37 by Elite1111111111
    MathGuy42 said:
    ATTENTION ALL GEM HORDERS! We’ve just restocked the MyVIP Vault with some of the most requested items. Remember, it’s first-come, first-served but we’ll be restocking again soon! https://bit.ly/2jiSFMg
    I was able to request 10K Reward Credits. A message said I should see them within 96 hours.
    Thanks for posting man! Was able to get $30 of credits.
  • Posted on 05 May 18 at 02:49
    Damnit! I spent mine on some stupid movie because that was all that was left. :/
    Posted on 05 May 18 at 06:20, Edited on 05 May 18 at 07:19 by HolyHalfDead
    MathGuy42 said:
    ATTENTION ALL GEM HORDERS! We’ve just restocked the MyVIP Vault with some of the most requested items. Remember, it’s first-come, first-served but we’ll be restocking again soon! link hidden
    Thanks for the tip-off smile

I was able to turn 794 "Bing Points" to 15,044 "Bing Points"!

It's a massive difference because in New Zealand it takes a whole month to earn up to 300 "Bing Points" and yet with Xbox Rewards I could earn 250 points from a single survey :(
  • TropanTropan1,071,058
    Posted on 09 May 18 at 04:46, Edited on 09 May 18 at 04:53 by Tropan
    Ouch, 300 a month. We get over that in a day Stateside, sometime double when they run bonuses and using phone searches of course

Points earned today - 420 / 440 (they still can't get me to use Edge browser lol)
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads