Sports Forum

Forum to discuss your teams, sporting events, etc

NHL Playoffs 2018

AuthorMessage
HillbillyChaos
Posted on 09 April 18 at 18:30
Just curious if anyone wants to throw their picks out for the 1st round of the playoffs, keep track of it just for the fun of it and bragging rights type thing. I am going to make my picks with how long I think the series will go, but if you just want to pick a winner without predicting the length of series obviously that is ok as well. I am more picking the length of series as a added challenge to myself. Also, if someone is better at creating more of a bracket style thread where we go right through with picks to the finals or add-on to this one rather than just typing out the picks round for round, please do. I am not all that good at that kind of stuff lol.

So without further ado, here are my picks for the 1st round:

Eastern Conference:

Tampa Bay VS New Jersey: Tampa in 6 games
Boston VS Toronto: Toronto in 7 games
Washington VS Columbus: Washington in 5 games
Pittsburgh VS Philadelphia: Pittsburgh in 7 games

Western Conference:

Nashville VS Colorado: Nashville in 4 games
Winnipeg VS Minnesota: Winnipeg in 5 games
Vegas VS Los Angeles: L.A. in 6
Anaheim VS San Jose: San Jose in 7
dropK1CK ninJA
Posted on 09 April 18 at 18:47
TBL in 6
TOR in 7
WSH in 6
PIT in 5

NSH in 5
WPG in 6
LVK in 6
ANA in 7
Ask me about my rock collection.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 17 April 18 at 21:09
As long as the Bruins lose, I'm happy laugh
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
HillbillyChaos
Posted on 20 April 18 at 08:28
Shinnizle said:
As long as the Bruins lose, I'm happy laugh
Not looking good then eh lol
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 20 April 18 at 16:35
Doesn't have to be in the first round (although I would prefer it). The two teams I want most to win the cup is Vegas and Winnipeg. The only team from the East I would really wanna see win is Washington.
HillbillyChaos
Posted on 20 April 18 at 19:14
I think whoever wins the Preds/Jets series(pretty near guaranteed they meet in the next round, both those series could be closed out tonight)has the best chance of winning the Cup. I am not buying into Vegas, they'll have to score a hell of a lot more to compete with San Jose. And as far as the Sharks, they always find a way to shit the bed in the playoffs.

I want Pittsburgh to win the cup, but I can't be a complete rose colored glasses fan and should admit that they probably won't have enough gas in the tank to 3peat. Other than them out of the east I don't really give a shit. Unless Jersey pulls some sort of miracle and becomes a Cinderella story for Taylor that I can get behind.
dropK1CK ninJA
Posted on 20 April 18 at 19:25
HillbillyChaos said:
I think whoever wins the Preds/Jets series(pretty near guaranteed they meet in the next round, both those series could be closed out tonight)has the best chance of winning the Cup. I am not buying into Vegas, they'll have to score a hell of a lot more to compete with San Jose. And as far as the Sharks, they always find a way to shit the bed in the playoffs.

I want Pittsburgh to win the cup, but I can't be a complete rose colored glasses fan and should admit that they probably won't have enough gas in the tank to 3peat. Other than them out of the east I don't really give a shit. Unless Jersey pulls some sort of miracle and becomes a Cinderella story for Taylor that I can get behind.
They said the same thing last year about the Pens. All we heard about in the Finals was how fresh the Preds were in terms of total games played over past 12 months versus the Pens. We saw how that worked out.
Ask me about my rock collection.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 20 April 18 at 19:31
I don't mind the Pens, but I'm not a huge fan either, so I'm growing kinda tired of seeing them win. But I'll take them over Boston any day of the week.

I'm simply rooting for Vegas because it would make for a hell of a good story. And Winnipeg because it's a Canadian team that's not a divisional rival (hence why I don't usually root for Toronto or Ottawa).
HillbillyChaos
Posted on 21 April 18 at 10:30
dropK1CK ninJA said:
HillbillyChaos said:

They said the same thing last year about the Pens. All we heard about in the Finals was how fresh the Preds were in terms of total games played over past 12 months versus the Pens. We saw how that worked out.
This is true. Maybe I am being overly pessimistic, I just think they have a hard road back. If the Flyers take them right to 7 games, then next round whoever it ends up being there is a history with both teams. Washington has to beat them in the playoffs eventually. And Columbus always plays them tough, its always a good matchup. And then if they do make it to the Conf. Final will there be enough left to beat Boston? Its the hardest sport in the world to win 1 championship in, let alone repeat and 3peat.
HillbillyChaos
Posted on 21 April 18 at 10:39
Shinnizle said:
I don't mind the Pens, but I'm not a huge fan either, so I'm growing kinda tired of seeing them win. But I'll take them over Boston any day of the week.

I'm simply rooting for Vegas because it would make for a hell of a good story. And Winnipeg because it's a Canadian team that's not a divisional rival (hence why I don't usually root for Toronto or Ottawa).
Hmmm, you definitely sound like a Habs fan lol. Well being a Pens fan first and foremost aside, I live in and am from Ottawa so am a pretty big Sens fan as well. So I feel your pain of a dismal season. And I agree Vegas would make a hell of a good story for sure, and I'd love to see MAF win a cup there. I am just not convinced with what I saw vs LA. Even with it being a sweep, Just a ouple things going LA's way, maybe a couple lucky bounces and it could have easily been a sweep the other way.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 23 April 18 at 04:42
Yeah, I'm a Habs fan. That was pretty obvious laugh I'm bummed about what happened today though. Colorado losing (always been a big fan) and Philly losing THAT way. The refs tonight were brutal. I don't even like Philly much, but wow. That was crappy.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 17 April 19 at 05:37
The Lightning and Pens both swept in the first round? Oh, this is a good day.
AL1
AL1
Posted on 20 April 19 at 02:22
Woooooooooo! (See Gamerpic) toast

Though, to be fair, even I picked a Tampa sweep in my bracket. The complete unexpectedness of it made it even sweeter.

It's been a long 19 years waiting for this.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 24 April 19 at 14:31
The fact that Tampa is the first-ever Presidents' Trophy winner to be swept in the first-round AND also the first team the Blue Jackets win a playoiff series against is glorious.

That call on Eakin last night though... oufff. Deserved a 2. Not a 5 and a game. Sharks scored 4 times on that Powerplay...
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.