Site Wishlist - Archive Forum

Archived site wishlist posts

Change needed for TA Gamerscore.

Not planned
AuthorMessage
Rashaka1
Rashaka1
Posted on 14 April 18 at 19:40
There is a serious need for an update to how the TA score is calculated for the site. We are getting to a point to where people will only play games with sub 40 hour completions regardless of the quality of the game. Be aware I said, "people" and not "everyone" so if this doesn't describe you then we don't need to hear about it.

Here are a couple of suggestions to help out the site. I will explain the benefits at the end.

First:

When figuring the TA value for achievements it takes the number of people who have completed it into consideration. It also needs to take into consideration the completion time for the whole game. Too many games out there these days that are 1-2 hour completions and not everyone can afford to keep buying them or have time to play them. So super easy 2 hour games are having TA ratios of 2 and 2.5 because too many people are starting them and not getting around to finishing them.

Second

Different language versions and different release versions, I.E. vanilla version compared to definitive version. Xbox 360 version compared to Xbox One version. These versions should either be designed so only one of them counts toward your TA score or all the scores of the games need to be merged together so their TA value is basically 1.0 due to all the people on the site that play the same game in 20 different versions.

My Defense:

Here is my defense for why these changes should be made. First off. We already have a thing to track a number which increases every time that you pop an achievement in a game. It's called Gamerscore and it is tracked on the console. This site is called "True Achievements" and it used to stand for a value that depicted the true difficulty in getting an achievement. By completing the same game 20 different times you are devaluing the meaning of True Achievement. If two different people complete the game then the score is worth less. If the same person completes the game 20 times the score doesn't change at all and that is my basis for this change.

Now we get to the 1-2 hour completion games that are all the rave these days. Why is a game that you complete in 1-2 hours worth roughly the same as a game that you complete in say 50 hours? The achievements are roughly the same difficulty, but they just take different amounts of time. I get that. However, I think that the person who tackles the 50 hour game should get some sort of compensation for that.

Conclusion:

In the end I believe these changes would help the site a lot. There could be custom leader boards that tracked all the versions of games for people who like playing the same game 20 times in different languages. Things could be done for those who still want to use the old system.

As far as the site goes I think the site over the years has been slowly growing towards the 1%. If you aren't a streamer making cash off your viewers or someone who has tons of money and free time then it's basically impossible to stay competitive in any shape form or fashion on the site.

I personally would love to see this site move back towards the masses and not the 1%. Let people create custom leader boards for all their niche stuff and keep the site more welcoming for new people and people who can't live on their system but like to be competitive. There are way more of those people out there than the ones who put in 80 hours a week on their consoles.
Beanpotter
Beanpotter
Posted on 14 April 18 at 19:43
I can only suggest you make own website if you're not happy with the way this one works as the fundamentals will never change, sorry.
Two can play this game.
Living Legends
Posted on 14 April 18 at 19:50, Edited on 14 April 18 at 19:52 by Living Legends
No thanks. How do you want to remove a game from being tracked because I decided to do it eight times?

Then you want to devalue the gamers with made up assumptions about our life, work and finances and having an abundance time to game.

Last, you want to change the effects of how TA ratio is used and the reason why we bean dive.

Final thought, my gaming habit, addiction to stacks or regional games and money and time spent is my business. For you to change the way the system is to benefit some but screw others.
JumboWario
JumboWario
Posted on 14 April 18 at 20:15
Living Legends said:
No thanks. How do you want to remove a game from being tracked because I decided to do it eight times.
I’ve stacked Minecraft 8 times. Why is one any less weight than another? I put in the same amount of “work” for all of them and paid for all of them.
Game On.
Living Legends
Posted on 14 April 18 at 20:47
JumboWario said:
Living Legends said:
No thanks. How do you want to remove a game from being tracked because I decided to do it eight times.
I’ve stacked Minecraft 8 times. Why is one any less weight than another? I put in the same amount of “work” for all of them and paid for all of them.
Exactly, if I decided to grind out gears 1 for all four versions why should one be weighed above the rest? Took effort to get there
Piston Toyota
Piston Toyota
Posted on 14 April 18 at 22:02, Edited on 14 April 18 at 22:03 by Piston Toyota
JumboWario said:
This says it all right here, I think. To earn an achievement in a stack you still have to... well... earn the achievement. Who cares if you already did it before? You still had to load up a copy of the game and perform the required action, like with any other game. This is trying to fix a problem that doesn’t exist.
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 14 April 18 at 22:13
Anything that seeks to arbitrarily mess with the stats is a no no. It's bad enough that we have a DLC calculation system that does just that, no need to make it worse. Especially not when you factor in stuff like completion times, which is something decided by community vote and therefore rarely very accurate. I could make a long post taking down every poorly worded, headache inducing point you attempted to make here, but I think it should be self evident to most people here why this is ridiculous.

I can certainly appreciate an honest attempt at improving how the site functions, but this is not a problem. Half of the stuff you say doesn't even make sense, with the "completing the same game 20 times" (how does one do this?) and trying to say there's an abundance of 2-3 ratio games with 1-2 hour completion times, which is just not true. If your argument was that it's stupid how easy games on X1 often have higher ratios than long cumbersome ones on 360 then yeah, that's a thing. Different stacks of games having different ratios, yeah that's natural. The stats are what they are, whether we like them or not.
What can change the nature of a man?
JumboWario
JumboWario
Posted on 14 April 18 at 22:38
Awoo said:
Different stacks of games having different ratios, yeah that's natural. The stats are what they are, whether we like them or not.
Most games that have an international and a Japanese or Chinese stack have a fairly moderate/high ratio for the international, but because the core group of people buying the region specific stacks are the ones that are committed to completing them, it makes the ratios much smaller, but doesn’t mean the same skill isn’t involved to unlock the same achievement. Sure, it’s a little deceiving, but it is what it is.
Game On.
BarbellxBrigade
Posted on 14 April 18 at 23:05
You wanna see a bunch of people play cheap games just for achievements, head over to TrueSteamAchievements. There are a ton of games on steam that cater specifically just to unlocking achievements, like 100-5000 of them just by loading up a game. I know recently they adjusted that site because those are now labeled "spam games" and the score is lowered for those games. But my point is nothing on this site even comes close to the "quality" of games you say you find on Steam.
Mobius Evalon
Mobius Evalon
Posted on 15 April 18 at 01:13
Rashaka1 said:
Too many games out there these days that are 1-2 hour completions and not everyone can afford to keep buying them or have time to play them. So super easy 2 hour games are having TA ratios of 2 and 2.5 because too many people are starting them and not getting around to finishing them.
So... your argument is that some people have more time and money than others?

If you're going to propose a drastic change to the statistics that drive the site, you should come with more than "life is unfair."
My opinions are often unpopular and acerbic.
Spilner
Spilner
Posted on 15 April 18 at 01:50
TA ratio = rarity, thats all it has ever shown annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd yes it gives an insight into difficulty, time some takes to complete, etc but it just shows how rare an achievement is... simple.

Sure the bigger GS carrying achievements in some of the 'easy' 'fast' games help make the higher scores but so what.
Pom poms at the ready, cheerleaders!
Rashaka1
Rashaka1
Posted on 15 April 18 at 05:57
I guess gamers of today's age have just lost site of what achievements really meant. You guys are so blinded that you don't even understand what I'm saying because you are so worried about your precious numbers.

Every time you play a game you get better at it. The more times you complete the same game the easier and faster it becomes. Like anything else with practice you get faster and better. You shouldn't get the same value for a score that has become easy for you.

Clearly I'm just at the wrong site for people who are actually serious about achievements and what they originally stood for. This is something that I will rectify. It's not like I'm new around here. I've been here almost 10 years now.

I've watched the site continue to degrade and yet I kept my pro account active. It dies on it's own next year. I've no intent to renew it or help the site in any way if this is honestly how everyone here feels.

You guys are seriously blinded and have become a toxic crowd. I'd appreciate it if a moderator would just delete this whole thread.
ChinDocta
ChinDocta
Posted on 15 April 18 at 06:14
Rather than revamping the site, drastically changing how it scores and then allowing us to have our niche leaderboards with the "old version" why don't you request the ability to make a niche leaderboard that fits within how you believe things should be scored?
Game Info Manager
Living Legends
Posted on 15 April 18 at 06:22
laugh

You definitely want to change something that you don't agree with. We are not worried about our precious number, you are th one that does. You have had an admin post on this thread, Above a moderator that thinks this idea ridiculous. He can't say it but I will. It is absurd baffling and comical all in one. You can try to say we are the problem but we know who had one when their idea gets rejected. And then proceeds to say we are not serious about achievements. If I want to stack every game of bioshock wouldn't that make me serious about achievements?

We all game in our own different way. What's next, disallow my achievements because of third party software, multiple consoles and copies of game or downloading a world on Minecraft? Or because I used a guide or solution instead of going into the game blind as you probably do as well.
Wardieshire
Wardieshire
Posted on 15 April 18 at 07:10
Rashaka1 said:
I guess gamers of today's age have just lost site of what achievements really meant. You guys are so blinded that you don't even understand what I'm saying because you are so worried about your precious numbers.

Every time you play a game you get better at it. The more times you complete the same game the easier and faster it becomes. Like anything else with practice you get faster and better. You shouldn't get the same value for a score that has become easy for you.

Clearly I'm just at the wrong site for people who are actually serious about achievements and what they originally stood for. This is something that I will rectify. It's not like I'm new around here. I've been here almost 10 years now.

I've watched the site continue to degrade and yet I kept my pro account active. It dies on it's own next year. I've no intent to renew it or help the site in any way if this is honestly how everyone here feels.

You guys are seriously blinded and have become a toxic crowd. I'd appreciate it if a moderator would just delete this whole thread.
Did you even read Spilners post above you? Trueachievement has always represented the rarity of an achievement, nothing more. Sometimes it can be an indicator of difficulty but not always. For example, Project Cars is a relatively easy game to complete but has a TA ratio of around 4.8 and there are many other examples like this.
Spilner
Spilner
Posted on 15 April 18 at 09:16
Heh we're the toxic crowd, way to take criticism.

Seeing as you've been around for so long Rashaka1 and think that we've all lost what achievements really meant, do you not think that other site features have had a larger impact in 'degrading' them?... gaming sessions for example to boost achievements. Thats not the original way to get them and speeds them up yet thats something you happily have partaken in and trust me theres a big crowd both on and off site that think that we as boosters ruined achievements too.
Solutions, achievements were meant to be something we figured out on our own, right? Solutions ruin that too.

Nevermind the fact that people have been whoring easy games since day one, Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Burning Earth Achievements is a rare game to find and thus costs a fair bit in certain places to get that easy, quick 1k and thats been here since achievements second year of existing. Nothing has changed with achievements, we've just gotten more choice and availability with digital downloads.

What did they originally stand for again?
BarbellxBrigade
Posted on 15 April 18 at 09:33
Wardieshire said:
Rashaka1 said:

Did you even read Spilners post above you? Trueachievement has always represented the rarity of an achievement, nothing more. Sometimes it can be an indicator of difficulty but not always. For example, Project Cars is a relatively easy game to complete but has a TA ratio of around 4.8 and there are many other examples like this.
Yeah I've wondered why Project Cars has such a high ratio. Even before it was GwG it was still decently high for something that's pretty easy to complete. Maybe put quite a few hours into it but it's not difficult hours.
Spilner
Spilner
Posted on 15 April 18 at 11:53
That'll be that rarity i already talked about.

Was a buggy piece of shit at launch so i imagine people played it and jumped ship once they realised it was garbage.
Beanpotter
Beanpotter
Posted on 15 April 18 at 12:09
At this point, I'm beginning to think the op is trolling. Poor arguments and then insults. Suggest the feeding should cease.
Two can play this game.
Sashamorning
Sashamorning
Posted on 15 April 18 at 12:20
JumboWario said:
Living Legends said:
Stacks should automatically be given the highest TA ratio out of the different possibilities. It's the only reasonable option.

wink
Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. * I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.