Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

The Best Opening Scenes in Video Games

• Posted on 24 April 18 at 17:10
    Allgorhythm said:
    TheGreatKoala said:
    Twinkling82 said:
    Nothing wrong with Playstation. Mike from Xbox agrees with me: https://twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/987446452254162944
    Yeah I hate how people are not allowed to like more than one console. I've never once cared about the console wars and I thoroughly enjoy my gaming more because of it.
    Since I am platform agnostic, it's easy for me to say that it's the games that matter and not the console. I think it's great that Mike Ybarra says he's a gamer first and a Microsoft executive second. His gracious nod to God of War [4] developed by rival Sony Interactive Entertainment not only acknowledges the accomplishments of his competitor but elevates Microsoft as well.

Competition in the video game industry is great for the players. It's what makes games and consoles better. It is encouraging when the competitors act with dignity.
    I just have this issue: The PS exclusive is something I want more than the Xbox exclusives. But I prefer the Xbox achievement system over trophies on the PS platform. Unsure what I am gonna do in the next gen, but I def. need to cut back on games and consoles.
    Looking for writers for gamingirl.com. PM me for more information.
  • Posted on 24 April 18 at 18:59
    This is starting to drive in to that Off Topic territory. Let's steer it back to discussing the best opening scenes from video games.

Thanks.
    Ask me about my rock collection.
  • PrinzHintzPrinzHintz631,662
    Posted on 24 April 18 at 20:34
    Well, the best Intro in my opinion is.. dlc for borderlands 2. Badass crater of badassitude. EXPLOSIONEN?
  • fatDaddy21fatDaddy21468,144
    Posted on 24 April 18 at 23:35
    Came in expecting Prey; was disappointed.

The original's intro was much more atmospheric - alien abduction while "Don't Fear the Reaper" plays on the jukebox.
  • ZemidekZemidek306,281
    Posted on 25 April 18 at 20:07
    I agree with Bioshock! Great article.
    Twitch.Tv/Zemidek
  • Posted on 26 April 18 at 22:57
    Swooshiain said:
    I have a very fond regard for the opening of Portal 2. The weirdness in the "hotel room", Wheatley's assistance, and then the whole thing falling apart - set the scene perfectly for the funniest game I've ever played.
    I would give a +1 for Portal 2!
  • LanDiLanDi364,370
    Posted on 28 April 18 at 13:51
    Portal 2's opening was great! I've always liked the opening to Deadly Premonition too.
  • JazernocsuhJazernocsuh271,553
    Posted on 16 May 18 at 01:53
    Dimebar Dan said:
    The first time you left the sewers / caves in Oblivion and see the beautiful world to explore was just jaw dropping (at the time) and always sticks out in my mind
    The same thing for when you leave your first vault in Fallout 3. Literally blew my mind.
  • Posted on 09 June 18 at 05:39
    Far Cry 5 is the "game of the generation"? I'm assuming Rich is in his early twenties or late teens? Early teens? It's not the game of my generation. Lol
  • PangoBaraPangoBara1,694,582
    Posted on 09 June 18 at 05:49
    PhilTheStampede said:
    Far Cry 5 is the "game of the generation"? I'm assuming Rich is in his early twenties or late teens? Early teens? It's not the game of my generation. Lol
    Pretty sure he's in his 30s or 40s...
    ~Ya boy Santino Hartford
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant741,679
    Posted on 09 June 18 at 08:16
    PhilTheStampede said:
    He’s in his thirties, created this site a decade ago and has a daughter.

Game of the generation refers to the platform, not the age of a the person. Haven’t played Far Cry 5 but I have only heard great things about it.
  • Darklord1899Darklord1899397,894
    Posted on 09 June 18 at 10:57
    I think Troll and I should be on this list. An amazing title that has breathtaking cinematics.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 13 June 18 at 06:43
    Skyrim... that ride down the mountain. The first couple of times the hype was so real.
  • SashamorningSashamorning2,315,813
    Posted on 20 June 18 at 03:36
    Spangles21 said:
    Personally my two favourite game openings are far cry 3 blood dragon on xbox and on all platforms onimusha 3
    This. Oh my God, this.

Also (and I can't believe I'm saying this, but...) the opening sequence in The Last of Us is a killer.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
  • JawaOnDaMoonJawaOnDaMoon259,886
    Posted on 09 July 18 at 23:56, Edited on 10 July 18 at 00:01 by JawaOnDaMoon
    Osmo76 said:
    Nexus Grunt said:
    I'm going to nominate RAGE. Just the cinematic opening/titles. The few seconds of the meteorite Apophis grinding its way past the moon, the piano score, the quiet resignation and pathos as it heads towards earth. A cool 90 seconds ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY8-M3bmE_s

The game wasn't too bad when you got into it. Still quietly hoping for Rage 2 sometime in the future ... [casts glance in the direction of Bethesda]
    Wow, that WAS epic! Funny thing is that I've completed the game but don't remember that scene at all. I blame the bean dive for UHh.
    That was pretty good! I don’t rememeber any of it.

Now I want to go back and finish the campaign. I made it to the 2nd disc but stopped (five finger filet brought my progress to a screeching halt). RAGE 2 looks promising.
  • Posted on 04 September 18 at 18:46
    The opening sequence of the The Phantom Pain is memorable to say the least.
  • Posted on 04 September 18 at 22:22
    Yeah but the gameplay was damn boring.
    Looking for writers for gamingirl.com. PM me for more information.
  • SashamorningSashamorning2,315,813
    Posted on 04 September 18 at 22:26
    Blood Dragon.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
  • JackBlaiseJackBlaise695,776
    Posted on 18 March 19 at 21:17
    Not sure how Far Cry 5 is on here to be honest - there are much better opening scenes!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.