Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

The Best Xbox Adventure Games Available in 2018

AuthorMessage
Rista B
Rista B
Posted on 26 April 18 at 12:44
NawtyCawty said:
Some good games in there but never understood the love for Life is Strange. One of the most tedious clichéd 'games' ever imo.
There is some potential to parts of Life is Strange but overall I have to agree with you. It clearly struck a chord with a lot of people but there was too much reliance on stereotypical teen angst.

And Virginia was just okay, there are plenty of other titles that I would have put on the list in its place.
Remember Philando Castile, a fellow gamer, a human being, Rest in Peace
Dresden N7
Dresden N7
Posted on 26 April 18 at 12:44, Edited on 07 May 18 at 07:53 by Dresden N7
The Pillars of the Earth is a beautiful point-and-click adventure with a great story. Definitely recommended at sale price. Also, the achievements should pose no problem if you use the site walkthrough ;)
IRISH PATRIOT x
Posted on 26 April 18 at 12:56
I disliked Virginia at first but grew to like it after I finished it. I've only played the first chapter of Kings Quest so I need to finish that. I also have Edith Finch, Sexy Brutale, and The council on my wish list.
Frankie DrumsNY
Posted on 26 April 18 at 15:06
I think the glut of point-and-click and shmup games on the marketplace (and it's considerably worse in the PS Store) has crowded the market and made it difficult to sift through and find the quality titles. These titles are clearly cheap & easy to pump out and I'm surprised they're finding such success on consoles.
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 26 April 18 at 15:16
A lot I haven’t played, I’ll keep an eye on them.
Lost Legends
Lost Legends
Posted on 26 April 18 at 15:24, Edited on 26 April 18 at 15:34 by Lost Legends
MakeMeACoffee said:
Lost Legends said:
I thought the live action ones were interesting like the Bunker and Late Shift. Not sure how they make any money on them though with how much work goes into them.
I'm not sure that producing a few hours of video is necessarily much more expensive then coding a decent 'traditional' game?
It's such a niche genre that I really doubt the budget that went into the actors , locations, and props alone on something like Late Shift is more than their total profits. That being said I still like these games and wish they'd make some more of them.

Edit - more people played the game then I had realized , but I still feel these cost more to make than a lot of the other adventure games out there.
TheMaize
TheMaize
Posted on 26 April 18 at 15:38
Lost Legends said:
MakeMeACoffee said:
Lost Legends said:
I thought the live action ones were interesting like the Bunker and Late Shift. Not sure how they make any money on them though with how much work goes into them.
I'm not sure that producing a few hours of video is necessarily much more expensive then coding a decent 'traditional' game?
It's such a niche genre that I really doubt the budget that went into the actors , locations, and props alone on something like Late Shift is more than their total profits. That being said I still like these games and wiikk they'd make some more of them.
im pretty sure the actors were friends and family. and i dont remember a location i believe they would have had To pay for. didnt they get funds from some british film guilds also?
Yinga Garten
Yinga Garten
Posted on 26 April 18 at 15:41
Firewatch? Miles better than Her Majesty's Spiffing which was incredibly short and fell flat humour wise (and I'm British too).
x Mataeus x
x Mataeus x
Posted on 26 April 18 at 16:28
Firewatch is great, but
*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***

Oxenfree is great through and through, and if you head into it as I did - no guide, no review, not knowing the type of story you're about to experience - it will blow you away.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 26 April 18 at 16:32
Edith Finch was decent with a somewhat unique story.
Everything else on the list was utter garbage, especially Borderlands and Life is Strange
I'm always willing to help other players boost achievements even if I already have them. Just ask!
AL1
AL1
Posted on 26 April 18 at 16:50
I've almost bought King's Quest a bunch of times. After seeing the comments here, I likely will the next time it's on sale.
Just a guy playing games.
halohogg
halohogg
Posted on 26 April 18 at 17:55
It doesn't match the "Best in Genre List" here on TA based on Rating.
imaidiot19
imaidiot19
Posted on 26 April 18 at 18:13
You don't have Firewatch on this list. List is invalid.
Yes, I know I am.
Watty8883
Watty8883
Posted on 26 April 18 at 18:25
Some of the most tedious games I have played on X1 : Her Majesty's Spiffing,Pillars of Earth,Virginia and anything by Telltale.

Like others have said where are the true masterpieces such as Firewatch and King's Quest ?
Mini Eminems
Mini Eminems
Posted on 26 April 18 at 18:56
TFTB is great. Definitely one of the funniest on this list.
Skunkie
Skunkie
Posted on 26 April 18 at 18:57
I was surprised and delighted to see Virginia make the list. Was an out there game that took some turns I didn't foresee. Like if Lynch made a video game. I enjoyed playing through.
XenomorphFiend
Posted on 26 April 18 at 19:11, Edited on 26 April 18 at 19:12 by XenomorphFiend
Rista B said:
NawtyCawty said:
Some good games in there but never understood the love for Life is Strange. One of the most tedious clichéd 'games' ever imo.
There is some potential to parts of Life is Strange but overall I have to agree with you. It clearly struck a chord with a lot of people but there was too much reliance on stereotypical teen angst.
I think a lot of us lived that clichéd teen angst, which makes it very relatable. I personally found the character relationships to feel as if they were real. The only game that actually depressed me, although it could have been the abysmal music. laugh
Proud Dad MCAL
Posted on 26 April 18 at 19:39
ARE These what adventure games are now? Basically point and click walking sims?!

I'm calling BS
MakeMeACoffee
MakeMeACoffee
Posted on 26 April 18 at 20:40
TheMaize said:
Lost Legends said:
MakeMeACoffee said:
Lost Legends said:
It's such a niche genre that I really doubt the budget that went into the actors , locations, and props alone on something like Late Shift is more than their total profits. That being said I still like these games and wiikk they'd make some more of them.
im pretty sure the actors were friends and family. and i dont remember a location i believe they would have had To pay for. didnt they get funds from some british film guilds also?
Yeah, lots of indie films are shot on shoestring budgets by borrowing, renting, friends and family freebies - that's why I reckon these FMV titles could easily be done for a lot less than it takes to pay coders for year(s) of work on a conventional game.
Mystic Typh00n
Posted on 26 April 18 at 21:01
Yeah... Virginia is kinda wack
How much for the whole kitten kaboodle?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.