Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

The Best Xbox Adventure Games Available in 2018

AuthorMessage
Sp33dyKat
Sp33dyKat
Posted on 26 April 18 at 21:10
Stunned that Firewatch didn't make this list. Really enjoyed Edith Finch & Virginia! Working on Life is Strange now and loving it. Sexy Brutale is trapped in my backlog. Night in the Woods & Thimbleweed Park are on my mental wish list. Haven't explored Pillars, so need to check into that one.
Thanks for the interesting article, Mark!
Rista B
Rista B
Posted on 26 April 18 at 21:16
Also, I'm a bit surprised that the Grim Legends game is on here. The voice acting in their games is average at best. I played the game and enjoyed it but again would think of several that would easily beat this one out.
Remember Philando Castile, a fellow gamer, a human being, Rest in Peace
MVPVincent
MVPVincent
Posted on 26 April 18 at 21:32
Virginia would be great if it took the time to explain what was happening.
Steve Redman
Steve Redman
Posted on 26 April 18 at 23:37
All I the only one who found Virginia and The new Frontier very dull. The new Frontier started out good then went south fast.
OXN3
OXN3
Posted on 27 April 18 at 00:43
Everyone who doesn't like Virginia doesn't get it, and there's no other answer for their dislike lmao. Just because it isn't a straight line to the narrative finish like the rest of the crap walking simulators with easy 1000Gs.
D o g m A.
TheMaize
TheMaize
Posted on 27 April 18 at 00:59
OXN3 said:
Everyone who doesn't like Virginia doesn't get it, and there's no other answer for their dislike lmao. Just because it isn't a straight line to the narrative finish like the rest of the crap walking simulators with easy 1000Gs.
you argue exactly like my 9 year old niece, when she talks about justin bieber.
GRAND NOBLE
GRAND NOBLE
Posted on 27 April 18 at 01:20, Edited on 27 April 18 at 01:28 by GRAND NOBLE
thanks for articles like these.

Sorting my own MY GAMES list to show only Adventure games:
My understanding is these are all "available" in 2018....

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments - GWG (1000 GS) - a fucking BORE. Even with the (great) walkthrough speeding it up, this was a game I regret playing/completing.

The Wolf Among Us - GWG (1000 GS) - the first Telltale game I played, surprisingly good. made me think i would like telltale games going forward (i didn't).

The Walking Dead: Season Two - GWG (1000 GS) - Didn't like it while I was playing it, but by the end, i grew an affinity for Clementine.

King's Quest - Free Season 1 (1000 GS) - I played through the entire game blind and got like 2 achievements. Was bored and confused the whole time. Disappointed that the 'free' version just stopped short. A year+ later I read the walkthrough, and realized I did every thing wrong. Played it again from the beginning and enjoyed it a lot more with the WT. Enjoyed hearing Doc Brown. Enjoyed the story telling mechanic.

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons - Game Pass (1000 GS) - OMG I CAN"T PRAISE THIS GAME ENOUGH. I played while leaving the walkthrough open just for the missable achievements. But I would just glance every so often to make sure i didn't miss it yet. 98% of the time i played blind, and had a fucking BLAST. It's short (too short), but sweet (and sad). So good. I played it all in 1 sitting I believe. The type of game you just WISH there was a sequel but it just would make NO sense, so you have to live with that. I would buy the 360 version to play it again if it were Backwards compatible. RECOMMEND RECOMMEND!

D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die - Game Pass (1000 GS) - A weird fucking game. My first "proper" point and click on the xbox360/xbox one (imo). By the end, i think I liked it. But MAN. This game is fucking weird. fucking. weird. I don't even know what to say.

OXENFREE - GWG (1000 GS) - SO GOOD!!! I almost bought it so many times when on sale, but lucked out and it became GWG. To 100% you have to play 3 FULL playthroughs, by the 3rd ending you're probably sick of this game... but the 1st and even the 2nd playthroughs are just... so good. Amazing. So FUN. intriguing! It made the hair on my neck stand up! I wanted more when it was over.

Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series - Free Season 1 (200 G) - Bought the season pass (1000 GS) to complete it after 100% the base. Bleh. I don't watch GOT and don't like telltale games for the most part. I don't know what I was thinking... There is ONE MOMENT, at the end of.. I think season 3 (?) where a character dies.. and a different character sings a song. It's.. powerful. Very moving. Over than that, the rest is completely forgettable.

Layers of Fear - GWG (1000 GS)- So good! Basically it's a walking simulator! But it's CREEEPY AF!! I had a lot of problems with the achievements. What should have been 3 full playthroughs turned into I think 7 or 8, and included having to delete my local/cloud saves and starting over. This pretty much soured my experience TBH. But the game ITSELF was fantastic. So interesting and scary at times. CREEPY and UNNERVING as all hell. The sound in this game was ON POINT as well! Game was good enough that I recently bought the INHERITANCE DLC (250 GS), but I haven't played it yet.

Gone Home: Console Edition - GWG (1000 GS) - GARBAGE. TRASH. I WOULD PAY TO REMOVE THIS 1000 GS from my gamer tag. I'm embarrassed to have this on my profile. Please don't judge me! I thought it would be something akin to Layers Of Fear. AND I WAS FUCKING WRONG. I have almost 300 games installed on my 2 TB external harddrive + 1 TB xboxone HDD... I never delete any game. THIS IS THE ONLY GAME I IMMEDIATELY DELETED AFTER 100%.

Life Is Strange - Free Season 1 (200 GS) - Bought the season pass (1000 GS). I have opinions, but not anything new that people haven't said. The only thing I'll add is that it gets better after the beginning. But then it gets worse. Lol. It has a good ending. It's just the middle is the only part of the story I was really into keep playing.

Tales from the Borderlands - Free Season 1 (200 GS) - Bought the season pass (1000 GS). I dunno. Some parts were OK. Just another forgettable Telltale game imo. NOTHING YOU DO MATTERS. I literally just sit and let my son mash buttons. NOTHING MATTERS. Same fucking story regardless. "so and so will remember that" fuck off. Give me a real change to a story based on my choices and I'll start paying attention to a TT game..

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition - GWG (200 GS) - Classic point and click. satire on point. LOVED that you can go back and forth between the OG game and new remastered gfx. I wouldn't play a game like this if it wasn't go GS/achievements and a SOLID walkthrough. but it was pretty fun.

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - GWG (200 GS) - exactly ditto.

Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - I won this game from a raffle here on TA. didn't play it for about a year, decided to give it a whirl because of GTASC. Man. Talk about weird games. This game is fucking weird. a lot of pooping and barfing. and piss talk. Bad art. but i didn't... hate it? i don't fucking know. So glad all the achvs popped correctly. I would never want to play it twice.

Stacking - Game Pass (200 GS) + bought DLC ($5 and only 50 GS..) - So cool! A bit odd, but such a cool experience. Such an inventive game IMO. This leaving game pass recently forced me to buy the DLC or never complete it. Glad I did. I loved diving back into this game a year+ after completing the base 100%. I don't know how to praise this game properly, but you should play it.

Mr. Pumpkin Adventure - bought this for like $2 (1000 GS) - it was worth the 2 bucks. but not much more than that.... Easy 1000 GS, the walkthrough is a bit confusing at times, but for the most part sends you through the game without having to explore. which is the main 'enjoyablility factor' of weird ass point and click games, like this. resulting in me basically not knowing WTF i just played by the end.

Late Shift - Game Pass (1000 GS) - Just played this! So good! A real cinematic experience. live movie - pick your adventure - game. Fucking awesome! And your choices really feel WEIGHTY. There are 7 different endings and you have to make MULTIPLE correct choices throughout the entire game - to GET to those endings. THIS IS what telltale games should be like. This game KNOCKS it out the park (for this genre). I loved it!
Leap Frog 2017 - 4x 6.4+ Ratio!! (Croaked on Day 29) -- www.instagram.com/grandnoble
Philmnator
Philmnator
Posted on 27 April 18 at 01:39
Loved loved LOVED Tales from the Borderlands smile
Fuchsdh
Fuchsdh
Posted on 27 April 18 at 02:34
Out of what I've played, I'd swap Oxenfree for Virginia on the list too. YMMV, but I think Virginia was trying too little with too much. There's open-ended endings, and then there's "why do I care what happened I have no idea how much of it was a drug trip or not."
BlackxRyan
BlackxRyan
Posted on 27 April 18 at 04:57, Edited on 27 April 18 at 04:57 by BlackxRyan
Tales from the Borderlands was great, but the best is The Wolf Among Us for me.
tornprince2012
Posted on 27 April 18 at 07:15
Sp33dyKat said:
Stunned that Firewatch didn't make this list. Really enjoyed Edith Finch & Virginia! Working on Life is Strange now and loving it. Sexy Brutale is trapped in my backlog. Night in the Woods & Thimbleweed Park are on my mental wish list. Haven't explored Pillars, so need to check into that one.
Thanks for the interesting article, Mark!
I think you meant to say "playing", not "working". roll
Legohead 1977
Legohead 1977
Posted on 27 April 18 at 08:14
TheMaize said:
OXN3 said:
you must be a non-belieber!
Legohead 1977
TheMaize
TheMaize
Posted on 27 April 18 at 08:31
Legohead 1977 said:
TheMaize said:
OXN3 said:
you must be a non-belieber!
you got me :(
Silicon Iceman
Posted on 27 April 18 at 17:11
NawtyCawty said:
Some good games in there but never understood the love for Life is Strange. One of the most tedious clichéd 'games' ever imo.
I completely agree. The underlying concept was a good one, but the execution was poor and the characters were clichéd. Max was one of the most boring, uninspired protagonists for a game that I've seen in a long time. I think one of the things that bothers me so much about this game is that it purports to explore the intricacies of alternate timelines (choices vs. consequences), however, you'll ultimately end up with a binary choice and the path to get there is linear as all hell. Talk about a contradiction!
Silicon Iceman
Posted on 27 April 18 at 17:14
BlackxRyan said:
Tales from the Borderlands was great, but the best is The Wolf Among Us for me.
Loved both! Hard to say which one is better because it's like comparing apples to oranges. Each has their own unique flavor. One was primarily comedy while the other one was drama.
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 27 April 18 at 23:25
Great article. I would also include NiGHTS into dreams... for a couple of reasons. First, the game stands on its own merits. It was innovative when it came out in 1996 and has stood the test of time quite well. Second, the 3D controller that was included in an optional bundle is the grandparent of today's controllers.

The Sonic Team, dissatisfied with how gamepads handled 3D play introduced the basic concept that is embodied in today's X1 & PS4 controllers--the digital pad analog stick combo (though the 3D controller had only one analog stick) and the two handed grip where the main buttons were supplemented with bumper buttons.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 28 April 18 at 01:16
To answer the Firewatch questions, I just did an ICYMI on that back in February so I was highlighting some others.
CRISTIAMUZ
CRISTIAMUZ
Posted on 02 May 18 at 22:52
Personally I feel like the telltale games basically play themselves unless I've missed something.
Then again the last one I played was Walking Dead Season 1 :/
Twitch.Tv/Zemidek
Snowhunterx91
Snowhunterx91
Posted on 13 June 18 at 07:03
Walking dead! I've played it over on basically all the available versions
AndreFranquin
Posted on 01 December 18 at 10:43
An article and almost 60 comments and still no mention of

The Book of Unwritten Tales 2
Broken Sword 5
The Journey Down
The Inner World 1+2
Silence
Dead Synchronicity
The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.