TA Playlist Forum

Messageboard for all things TA Playlist

Alice: Madness Returns Discussion - Spoilers

AuthorMessage
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 01 May 18 at 20:51
You know the drill. Anything goes in here!
SabenRothschild
Posted on 01 May 18 at 22:20
Interested to see what people make of this game. I think playing the dlc/original game kinda spoiled the experience for me, as it hasn't aged well.
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 01 May 18 at 23:06
Great game, I wish I too could resolve my mental issues by pushing someone in front of a train.
What can change the nature of a man?
Crimson Drifter
Posted on 02 May 18 at 00:06
I was presently surprised playing this game, very solid all around.

American McGees Alice definitely doesnt hold up though lol
Your achievements are belong to us!
GuardianAngelGG
Posted on 02 May 18 at 01:35
I am doing the American McGees thing first. I made it through the first couple of things, but now I am in a really high spot, having to make jumps that I either keep missing or keep overjumping. I have to stop for tonight, anyway. I kept getting lost in the doors place, but finally figured out my way around, in there. Pretty fun so far, but a bit more challenging than I like. I like easy games, like Fable! LOL smile Of course, TA was awesome to have Fable 2 as the game for the month in March, so I have been trying to play more games and especially participate in the playlist things. Sea of Thieves totally sucked, but that was the game's fault, not TA's. I don't play that game anymore. I think Alice is kind of fun so far, but I am still figuring out the controls and stuff. I started out playing it on my Xbox One X, but kept having a lot of problems. I tried it on my Xbox 360, and it actually plays easier on the 360, for me. dance
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 02 May 18 at 01:42
Awoo said:
Great game, I wish I too could resolve my mental issues by pushing someone in front of a train.
I'm not sure Alice resolved her mental issues. She ended up in Londerland, presumably a mish-mash of the real world and the fantasy world. There are a couple of ways of looking at this. One is that Alice is still delusional. The other is that she managed to preserve the good part of the fantasy world after cleansing it of Dr. Bumby's corruption.
DepravedJedi
DepravedJedi
Posted on 02 May 18 at 02:43
I agree that Alice's mental issues are far from resolved. She's clearly better than she was at the start of the game, but there's a large gap between that and where she was before the fire. The Otherlands shorts do show that she was able to get a job at an opera house about a year after the game ends, so it's I think safe to assume she's not completely delusional at this point. No telling how sane she actually is though.
AbyssalOrc33
AbyssalOrc33
Posted on 02 May 18 at 03:46
The first game I think hasn't aged terribly well and the controls are a tad funky but I loved the second game.

I still hope for a sequel somewhere down the line.
Dresden N7
Dresden N7
Posted on 02 May 18 at 04:10
SabenRothschild said:
Interested to see what people make of this game. I think playing the dlc/original game kinda spoiled the experience for me, as it hasn't aged well.
When would you suggest playing American McGee's Alice? Before to get it out of the way or after the main game to avoid spoiling it?
DepravedJedi
DepravedJedi
Posted on 02 May 18 at 04:33
If you don't have a problem with older games I'd recommend playing Alice first. You can definitely tell it's age, but I don't think it's any worse than other games from around the same time.

AbyssalOrc33 said:
American McGee is trying to make a prequel set shortly after the fire. His idea is to use the different areas of Wonderland to reflect what stage of grief Alice is going through at that point of the game. It's still in the early stages of planning so we don't know much more than that yet.You can find a lot of the concept art here if you want to get a feel for what they're doing. It's not a sequel, but it feels a lot closer to the games we already have than Otherlands was.
Itzz Sh0wt1m3
Itzz Sh0wt1m3
Posted on 02 May 18 at 07:32
Will probably skip this months playlist. Game looks decent but so much other games left in the backlog.smile
Alf Ganikiller
Posted on 02 May 18 at 14:06
I'll be skipping too
Wouldn't know where to start.
MVPVincent
MVPVincent
Posted on 02 May 18 at 14:41
Loved the main game but for me, the American McGee DLC was among the worst I'd ever played.
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 02 May 18 at 15:41
AbyssalOrc33 said:
The first game I think hasn't aged terribly well and the controls are a tad funky but I loved the second game.

If you want, you can actually support the sequel. If you go to https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?c=404122 , you can become a patron. I contribute 2.00 USD a month and get insight into where the game stands. There's a fair amount of art out there right now and some game concepts. American McGee's intent is to have a fully developed plan by this October.

If you just want to join the mailing list, you can subscribe here: http://www.americanmcgee.com/
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 02 May 18 at 15:50
Dresden N7 said:
SabenRothschild said:
When would you suggest playing American McGee's Alice? Before to get it out of the way or after the main game to avoid spoiling it?
I would definitely want to play it before. The second game makes a lot more sense if you've played the first game.

Since this is a spoiler thread, you might find this interesting. This is American McGee's last broadcast on his YouTube channel time stamped at when he starts playing the first game. As he is playing, he makes some comparison's of that 2000 game to 2018's God of War. You should find both the comments and the gameplay of the old game interesting: https://youtu.be/FFfARY032jk?t=1639

Also, if you're interested, you can watch the YouTube broadcast from the beginning where he talks about his concept for Alice: Asylum--the planned third game in the series.
Reborn Insanity
Posted on 02 May 18 at 20:50
I thought it was awesome how much passion people put into voting for this game. I've never played it myself, but I've watched my girl go through it a couple of times. Love the style and atmosphere of the game.
See You Space Cowboy...
SabenRothschild
Posted on 02 May 18 at 21:22
Allgorhythm said:
Dresden N7 said:
SabenRothschild said:
I would definitely want to play it before. The second game makes a lot more sense if you've played the first game.
I don't disagree on the making more sense, but personally I wish I'd left it to the end rather than picking it up halfway through, as then I might have enjoyed Returns more. And I'm pretty sure that if I'd played it first, I would have abandoned both of them as it's so, so bad.
Fanta Morgana
Fanta Morgana
Posted on 03 May 18 at 04:00
The first one has great atmosphere and music. The gameplay is pretty bad though.
The leveldesign and overall difficulty is forgiving enough, so it doesn't become too much of a pain.
I found it still worthwile to play.
GRAND NOBLE
GRAND NOBLE
Posted on 03 May 18 at 06:10
GuardianAngelGG said:
I am doing the American McGees thing first. I made it through the first couple of things, but now I am in a really high spot, having to make jumps that I either keep missing or keep overjumping. I have to stop for tonight, anyway. I kept getting lost in the doors place, but finally figured out my way around, in there. Pretty fun so far, but a bit more challenging than I like. I like easy games, like Fable! LOL smile Of course, TA was awesome to have Fable 2 as the game for the month in March, so I have been trying to play more games and especially participate in the playlist things. Sea of Thieves totally sucked, but that was the game's fault, not TA's. I don't play that game anymore. I think Alice is kind of fun so far, but I am still figuring out the controls and stuff. I started out playing it on my Xbox One X, but kept having a lot of problems. I tried it on my Xbox 360, and it actually plays easier on the 360, for me. dance
Let's link up an play Sea Of Thieves one day lol. Maybe you've been playing with the wrong randoms. The game is a lot of fun, if you're having fun! smile
Leap Frog 2017 - 4x 6.4+ Ratio!! (Croaked on Day 29) -- www.instagram.com/grandnoble
GRAND NOBLE
GRAND NOBLE
Posted on 03 May 18 at 06:12
Maybe next month we can have 3 threads: Spoilers, Non Spoilers, and "Post here saying that you aren't Going To play the game or even that you might consider playing it, and please note you will not be receiving a badge." music
Leap Frog 2017 - 4x 6.4+ Ratio!! (Croaked on Day 29) -- www.instagram.com/grandnoble
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.