Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

The Best Xbox Platformer Games Available in 2018

AuthorMessage
SonOfStayPuft82
Posted on 03 May 18 at 11:53, Edited on 03 May 18 at 11:53 by SonOfStayPuft82
Super Lucky’s Tale deserves to be mentioned too.

I’m currently playing it through Game Pass, and while it is very simple in parts, it’s very old school & enjoyable, and i’m really enjoying it.

Yooka Laylee, and the BC Titles on Rare Replay deserve a mention too, as does Sonic 1-4 & Mania, Splosion Man, Ms Splosion Man, The Disney Afternoon Collection & Ducktales Remastered
BudgetBallin360
Posted on 03 May 18 at 12:06
Rayman Legends and Shadow Complex Remastered are missing from this list!
OldSchoolBlood
Posted on 03 May 18 at 12:17
My game of the year for 2017 was:
"The Mummy Demastered"
I see Noone has mentioned that one yet. If you like Metroidvania games, check out this under the radar gem.
MathGuy42
MathGuy42
Posted on 03 May 18 at 13:27
SonOfStayPuft82 said:
Super Lucky’s Tale deserves to be mentioned too.

I’m currently playing it through Game Pass, and while it is very simple in parts, it’s very old school & enjoyable, and i’m really enjoying it.
Your opinion may change if you're a completionist. The final boss and the 2 "no damage" DLC achievements (for Gilly Island and Foxington) have caused me and others a lot of frustration. The controls and camera aren't good enough to handle such achievements. At least the final boss has been nerfed a bit.

I agree with others that Guacamelee should be on the list. That was a tough completion for me also, but it felt like my own skill was at fault, not the game itself. I hope that Guacamelee 2 comes to Xbox.
vSully
vSully
Posted on 03 May 18 at 14:03
I didn't expect a mention, but I absolutely loved Lumo, which I stumbled across randomly last year with my game pass trial.

Lumo Achievements

I ended up buying it, writing the walkthrough, and then also buying and completing it on PS4 and Steam to further support the developer.
Clockwerks
Clockwerks
Posted on 03 May 18 at 14:04
MathGuy42 said:
I hope that Guacamelee 2 comes to Xbox.
I totally agree.

Besides the list and other mentioned games, some other platformers that stood out to me have been Jumpjet Rex and OlliOlli 1&2. Though, I generally enjoy the overwhelming majority of platformers. It's definitely my favorite genre for a reason.
Crimson Drifter
Posted on 03 May 18 at 14:10, Edited on 03 May 18 at 14:11 by Crimson Drifter
Maldita Castilla EX - Cursed Castile deserves a nod for sure! Classic platforming at its finest.
Your achievements are belong to us!
Mannschaft570
Mannschaft570
Posted on 03 May 18 at 14:25
Shadow Complex Remastered was a blast for me, definitely the best platformer I've played since Super Meat Boy.
ChillzMaster
ChillzMaster
Posted on 03 May 18 at 15:22
Cuphead is hardly a platformer. Love the game to tears, but it's not a platformer. Swap it out for Rayman Legends my d00d.

(Also Cuphead's co-op mode is harder than the SP mode, the myth that the inverse is true is perplexing to me)
Kamera
Kamera
Posted on 03 May 18 at 15:28
Missing Snake Pass as well
aLackofGravitas
Posted on 03 May 18 at 15:57
I can only think the author hasn't played many platform games.

This is possibly the most useless story ever posted on this site.
x Mataeus x
x Mataeus x
Posted on 03 May 18 at 16:15
Some great shouts up there, true! But for such a saturated genre, even just limiting it to X1, there's loads of greatness missing.

Rayman Legends
Shantae and the Pirates Curse
Völgarr

They're all great!
NerdrageX
NerdrageX
Posted on 03 May 18 at 16:22
Tons of great platformers last generation. Leaving off Battleblock Theater and Super Meat boy is unforgiveable! laugh
Facial La Fleur
Posted on 03 May 18 at 16:25
Pretty old at this point, but I think Rayman Legends deserves a mention. It's one of the best platfromers period.
MustKillMoWhee
Posted on 03 May 18 at 16:33
Anyone who likes 2D platformers should play Kalimba. That should absolutely be on this list.
Elite1111111111
Posted on 03 May 18 at 16:37
MustKillMoWhee said:
Anyone who likes 2D platformers should play Kalimba. That should absolutely be on this list.
Yeah! Kalimba was awesome.
BudgetBallin360
Posted on 03 May 18 at 17:01
Clockwerks said:
MathGuy42 said:
I totally agree.

Besides the list and other mentioned games, some other platformers that stood out to me have been Jumpjet Rex and OlliOlli 1&2. Though, I generally enjoy the overwhelming majority of platformers. It's definitely my favorite genre for a reason.
Guacamelee 2 has already been announced.
Elite1111111111
Posted on 03 May 18 at 17:14
BudgetBallin360 said:
Clockwerks said:
MathGuy42 said:
I totally agree.

Guacamelee 2 has already been announced.
Yes, but not for Xbox. Click the link. It specifically only mentions Steam and PS4.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 03 May 18 at 17:40
MustKillMoWhee said:
Kalimba is a lot of fun indeed!
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
MathGuy42
MathGuy42
Posted on 03 May 18 at 19:01
MustKillMoWhee said:
I tend to avoid games with difficult local co-op achievements. I don't have anyone else in my household who plays. Has anyone tried co-op platforming with the new Mixer Share Controller feature? Could this be a way to turn local co-op into network co-op?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.