Sports Forum

Forum to discuss your teams, sporting events, etc

Who is your team?

AuthorMessage
TrueAchievement
TrueAchievements AdministratorTrueAchievements Pro user18,338 posts
Last post: Today at 11:50
Posted on 30 October 08 at 11:19
Thought I'd start this thread as I have a sore head this morning after watching my team - Tottenham Hotspur - come back from 4-2 down with only 1 minute left to draw 4-4 against their local rivals Arsenal last night.

(That's football/soccer by the way smile)

So tell us who you support, and why?

And let us know how they are doing this year.

I've supported Tottenham since 1981 (when I was 6) and they won the FA Cup 2 years running.

This year, we are bottom of the league after 10 games, but have just employed a new manager and we are starting to turn it round.

Come on you spurs!
hankford
hankford
TrueAchievements AdministratorAchievement Completion Percentage: 45.18% (Includes owned DLC) - 39 more achievements required to reach 46%133 posts
Last post: 06 May 12 at 18:59
Posted on 30 October 08 at 11:33
COME ON YOU SPURS...

I'm Also Tottenham Hotspurs (due to my Grandfathers influence) - Football (Soccer)

For my sins, since I was small I've always taken a shine to the Miami Dolphins, probably due to Dan Marino and Channel 4 showing the sport in the UK! - Football (American Football)
Arkzein
Arkzein
Registered on 21 August 2008 (Year 1 - alpha)Achievement Completion Percentage: 99.64% (Includes owned DLC) - 3 more achievements required to reach 99.7%573 posts
Last post: 27 Apr at 14:30
Posted on 30 October 08 at 11:42
Fecking brilliant match, I'm a Man United fan but my flatmate is a die hard gooner so naturally I was down ripping the piss out of him. Not quite a neutral watching it. ;) At 1-0 after 30 mins I was laughing, when an ex United player got the equaliser (750k was too damned cheap, and to Arsenal!) I ribbed him some more saying he needed our help. At 3-1 I predicted a classic derby scoreline 4-3, came close, but 4-4?! Brilliant, fecking legendary game and good on Harrry turning Spurs around already, they've got some belief about them.

Even better to drown his sorrows we went on a grand bender of epic proportions. I'm just up now at 11/12 and still farking pished! *laughs*. Thank you Spurs for a great day of craic.
TrueAchievement
Posted on 30 October 08 at 11:50
Arkzein said:
Thank you Spurs for a great day of craic.
clap clap clap

decent bit of skill from berba last night wasn't it?
Elite Hero
Elite Hero
458,600 TrueAchievement PointsTrueAchievement Ratio: 1.76791,801 posts
Last post: 02 Jul 15 at 16:30
Posted on 30 October 08 at 14:12
Crystal Palace F.C. - Horrible start to the season that seems to be the usual days hopefully we will go on our unbeaten run again and get to the playoffs.
TrueAchievement
Posted on 30 October 08 at 14:23
Elite Hero said:
Crystal Palace F.C. - Horrible start to the season that seems to be the usual days hopefully we will go on our unbeaten run again and get to the playoffs.
wow, palace are my local team, where do you live mate?
Clever Jake
Clever Jake
TrueAchievements AdministratorRegistered on 10 July 2008 (Year 1 - alpha)10,397 posts
Last post: 27 Apr at 09:13
Posted on 30 October 08 at 15:02
Hartlepool United,the reasons used to live in Hartlepool, my dad supported them and took me to my first match when I was 7 supported them ever since.

As I'm a season ticket holder I've witnessed more goals at home then anyone else this season 33 goals in only 7 games!
Elite Hero
Elite Hero
Posted on 30 October 08 at 15:38
TrueAchievement said:
Elite Hero said:
wow, palace are my local team, where do you live mate?
I live near the ground in upper norwood.
TrueAchievement
Posted on 30 October 08 at 16:07
Cool, I'm a beckenham boy!
Elite Hero
Elite Hero
Posted on 30 October 08 at 16:22
TrueAchievement said:
Cool, I'm a beckenham boy!
small world
xGodDogx
xGodDogx
103 solutions554 posts
Last post: 20 Aug 09 at 08:41
Posted on 30 October 08 at 18:26
i just give my city spirit and im with my city teams..

Calgary Flames (hockey)
Calgary stampeders (American Football)
mmz41
mmz41
TrueAchievement Ratio: 1.9825Achievement Completion Percentage: 99.29% (Includes owned DLC) - 1 more achievement required to reach 99.3%430 posts
Last post: 03 Aug 13 at 19:20
Posted on 30 October 08 at 19:13, Edited on 30 October 08 at 23:56 by mmz41
Real Madrid forever.

My favorite players are Ruud van Nistelrooy,Wesley Sneijder and the club god Raul.
I hope that we can win european cup number 10 this year.

In Nba i like team with spanish players (LA Lakers,Toronto,Portland...)
XIII RAVEN XIII
Registered on 21 August 2008 (Year 1 - alpha)TrueAchievements site promoter811 posts
Last post: 20 Sep 15 at 22:33
Posted on 30 October 08 at 22:53
don't really follow Football/Soccer

But in American Footbal its the danceBaltimore Ravens danceand its been them since 1996 when we finaly got a team back smile- I have not missed a home game since thentoast

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 30 October 08 at 23:17
Been a Man United fan since my uncle instilled it in me at the age of 5. My dad supports Leeds, and it's difficult sometimes. laugh

We haven't really got going this season at all yet but the early signs aren't to good, we lack creativity in the centre of midfield and the defence doesn't seem as able as it was last year. We have conceded sloppy goals against Chelsea, Everton and Liverpool which have cost us points.
NightStalkar
NightStalkar
Registered on 29 August 2008 (Year 1 - alpha)Previously had a Pro Account on TrueAchievements.com2,396 posts
Last post: 25 Jun 15 at 20:54
Posted on 31 October 08 at 02:55, Edited on 31 October 08 at 02:58 by NightStalkar
xGodDogx said:

Calgary Flames (hockey)
Used to live in Calgary god. Had a nice house in Elbow Valley/Springbank area for a while... ring a bell? Calgary Stampeders are not American Football either. Canadian Football, and there is a big difference. CFL > NFL anyday. Fun Fact for you: My pops was head coach and GM of the Stamps in 04' and runs with TSN now.

Anyways soccer really isn't my thing, though I do enjoy watching a match every now and then.
Basketball - Dallas Mavericks
Baseball - LA
Football:
CFL - Winnipeg
NFL - Cowboys :P
Hockey - I hate hockey, thats right I'm from Canada and hate hockey
Elite Hero
Elite Hero
Posted on 31 October 08 at 03:30, Edited on 31 October 08 at 03:31 by Elite Hero
If one more person calls it soccer I am going to scream angrywarning and why of why do you call it football when you use your hands 99% of the time grrrrrrr! angry the clue is in the "foot" part of the word..... warning

Simply use American (body armour wearing handball) Football and then just Football for the real sport. Thanks
xGodDogx
xGodDogx
103 solutions554 posts
Last post: 20 Aug 09 at 08:41
Posted on 31 October 08 at 07:23
NightStalker666 said:
xGodDogx said:

Calgary Flames (hockey)
Used to live in Calgary god. Had a nice house in Elbow Valley/Springbank area for a while... ring a bell? Calgary Stampeders are not American Football either. Canadian Football, and there is a big difference. CFL > NFL anyday. Fun Fact for you: My pops was head coach and GM of the Stamps in 04' and runs with TSN now.

Anyways soccer really isn't my thing, though I do enjoy watching a match every now and then.
Basketball - Dallas Mavericks
Baseball - LA
Football:
CFL - Winnipeg
NFL - Cowboys :P
Hockey - I hate hockey, thats right I'm from Canada and hate hockey
yep neighborhood sounds familiar. when i said american football its because british or english or whatever call it football but its accually soccer well that what we call it.. so i say american football so they know its with are hands and such.
Clever Jake
Clever Jake
TrueAchievements AdministratorRegistered on 10 July 2008 (Year 1 - alpha)10,397 posts
Last post: 27 Apr at 09:13
Posted on 31 October 08 at 09:35
Elite Hero said:
If one more person calls it soccer I am going to scream angrywarning and why of why do you call it football when you use your hands 99% of the time grrrrrrr! angry the clue is in the "foot" part of the word..... warning
Many say that football it is called football because it was originally played on foot with a ball by the poor, opposed to on horse-back games like Polo which were played by the rich. If this is the case than American Football has as much right to be called football as football, after all rugby is rugby football. Although there is no conclusive proof for either theory. Sorry to bring history into it smile
zigs00
zigs00
TrueAchievement Ratio: 1.8951Achievement Completion Percentage: 89.14% (Includes owned DLC) - 47 more achievements required to reach 90%9,102 posts
Last post: 01 Dec 16 at 18:59
Posted on 31 October 08 at 11:23
American Football is actually the americanised version of rugby, albeit far girlier and more ridiculous. The reason it's called football is because rugby used to be known as rugby football, which it was called because it was a sport invented in a town called Rugby - in fact at a college there i believe. So it sort of made sense to name the American version that because of it's birthplace. But being the insane patriots that they are, rather than a specific city or something, it just became AMERICAN Football.
NightStalkar
NightStalkar
Registered on 29 August 2008 (Year 1 - alpha)Previously had a Pro Account on TrueAchievements.com2,396 posts
Last post: 25 Jun 15 at 20:54
Posted on 31 October 08 at 13:56
zigs00 said:
American Football is actually the americanised version of rugby, albeit far girlier and more ridiculous. The reason it's called football is because rugby used to be known as rugby football, which it was called because it was a sport invented in a town called Rugby - in fact at a college there i believe. So it sort of made sense to name the American version that because of it's birthplace. But being the insane patriots that they are, rather than a specific city or something, it just became AMERICAN Football.
I don't want to get into the age-old argument of rugby vs american football or anything like that as I respect both. But they are far too different to compare. Rugby takes more athleticism and endurance where as American Football - NFL is all about power and strength.

Calling it girly is stupid though:
Consider this. Rugby players get hit far more in a game but they are always moving and relatively of the same build. When both players are constantly moving, the impacts are normally far less (not all the time).
Now consider a quarterback in the NFL or a Running Back - At times they are completely stationary and unaware that they are about to be hit, and not only unaware and have no momentum, but they person hitting them is often a 6'8 350 pound middle linebacker running at full-speed. In essence, the inpact of that is close to that of a truck.

When you consider all of the physics involved and different kind of training, they really balance out to be quite similar.

A rugby player would get crushed in American Football, and an American Football Player would get his ass kicked in Rugby.

Anyways, I just making a Point that Canadian Football is alot more like Rugby as opposed to the NFL. Much larger field, and much more of a speed based game.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.