Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

April 2018 Delistings... and Some Relistings

• Tatl360Tatl360334,809
    Posted on 11 May 18 at 04:54
    Chakaal Starr said:
    BBIAJ said:
    If there'd been a heads-up on Alpha Protocol being delisted, I would have picked it up with the M$ credit I've had sitting there for weeks, in case it ever went BC.

They could have made some extra sales with an advanced warning that way surely too?
    The extra sales would be insignificant compared to the cost to highlight its removal. Even if you are getting Major Nelson to highlight it, it all costs money. Obsidian and Sega have to agree on things on how they would be advertising the removal in a way that isn't negative for either company as well as how the bill is split, then MS has to get in on the plan. Lots more meetings and potentially lawyers than one would assume for any type of marketing. If you are waiting until a delisting announcement, you really weren't that interested.
    I can see that scenario in a business environment, but it doesn't need such efforts of the whole company. It's not a new release.
    Plenty of soon to be delisted games were announced in Twitter.
    It's just lack of organization, lack of planning ahead and some silly recklessness.
    When someone cares, someone cares.

Some may consider the loss for the digital distribution, the company or even the players not substantial, but others may see some wasted opportunity... =(
  • LV 1 Blue SlimeLV 1 Blue Slime1,189,353
    Posted on 11 May 18 at 06:52, Edited on 11 May 18 at 06:56 by LV 1 Blue Slime
    Chakaal Starr said:
    BBIAJ said:
    If there'd been a heads-up on Alpha Protocol being delisted, I would have picked it up with the M$ credit I've had sitting there for weeks, in case it ever went BC.

They could have made some extra sales with an advanced warning that way surely too?
    The extra sales would be insignificant compared to the cost to highlight its removal. Even if you are getting Major Nelson to highlight it, it all costs money. Obsidian and Sega have to agree on things on how they would be advertising the removal in a way that isn't negative for either company as well as how the bill is split, then MS has to get in on the plan. Lots more meetings and potentially lawyers than one would assume for any type of marketing. If you are waiting until a delisting announcement, you really weren't that interested.
    I think you're overthinking it. Email a few news websites and let them spread it from there. Costs nothing and will pull in at least a few sales.
    "Slutty outfit? You're one to talk." "This isn't slutty, it's strategically placed."
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 11 May 18 at 07:49
    Eternal sonata never released digitally in my region but I cant buy it with region change on my xbox one too as it's a 360 release otherwise xbox one games I can easily buy from the us store
  • SkinstakovicSkinstakovic540,622
    Posted on 11 May 18 at 10:43
    Sorry if it’s a really stupid question, but if I found someone with a delisted DLC could I access it by doing game share? I’ve never done it before (game share) so not sure if it would be possible so sorry if that sounds stupid to anyone in the know
    Skinstakovic, creating gaming harmony since 2007
  • Dresden N7Dresden N7497,581
    Posted on 11 May 18 at 10:52
    Alpha Protocol and Enslaved were games I expected to eventually turn backward compatible. I know delisted games have gone BC in the past, but it feels like a more difficult legal hurdle for MS.
  • KorewahondesKorewahondes588,240
    Posted on 11 May 18 at 11:08, Edited on 11 May 18 at 16:26 by Korewahondes
    Mia Archibald said:
    Korewahondes said:
    I have a second account that I sometimes use for boosting and I changed it to US region to see if I could download the Enslaved DLC from the US Xbox store. I had to add a payment method and so I gave my French visa card details but with a fake US billing address.

Actually, I was able to download only the free DLCs (Ninja Monkey and Sexy Robot Trip) but not Pigsy's Perfect 10. I think it is because my fake billing address (US) does not match my real billing address (France) for this card. facepalm

Any idea to solve this issue? Using Paypal maybe?
    It will be the same issue with Paypal. If your billing address isn't registered to a resident of the country, then Microsoft will decline it as well. I guess you have to bite the bullet and buy a US Xbox Live Gift Card. That's the only way I can think of to circumvent this problem.
    Thank you very much for this idea! I'm gonna buy a 15$ code from Amazon US tonight, I know I can pay them with my French visa card 'cos I've already done that in the past. Then redeem the code on my US account and then get the DLC. toast

EDIT: Just to let people know, it worked like a charm!
  • TheSameDumasTheSameDumas100,975
    Posted on 11 May 18 at 16:22
    Does this mean you can no longer get achievements from these games? I'm a little confused on the delisting of these games since they seem to have no multiplayer achievements.
  • KorewahondesKorewahondes588,240
    Posted on 11 May 18 at 16:28
    TheSameDunce said:
    Does this mean you can no longer get achievements from these games? I'm a little confused on the delisting of these games since they seem to have no multiplayer achievements.
    No, it only means that people who do not possess these games/DLCs can't buy them digitally anymore. No link at all with online features or something.
  • The NotoThe Noto475,777
    Posted on 11 May 18 at 19:44
    I have Dragon's Dogma, but I haven't played it (Non-Dark Arisen version)

Is there any of this DLC that I need in order to help with achievements?
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 11 May 18 at 23:09
    Call of Juarez Gunslinger is not to be missed, I found it to be an exceptional game I couldn't have enjoyed more.

These delistings make me more and more worried about older games that are only available digitally. There are three Xbox 360 games, two DLCs and one WP game that I still need.

Novadrome from 2006
    Death Tank from 2009
    DLC for Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor from 2012
    LocoCycle from 2014
    and Panzer Geekz (WP) from 2016

I'm not too concerned about Loco or Panzer, but I might just wait for the next weekly sale on Monday and if none of them are on I'm getting Novadrome and Death Tank.
    First in the UK for all Vehicular Combat
  • Posted on 11 May 18 at 23:10
    Chakaal Starr said:
    BBIAJ said:

Twitter. It's not perfect, but the news would then drip to sites like these and Reddit.
  • Posted on 12 May 18 at 02:42
    LV 1 Blue Slime said:
    Chakaal Starr said:
    BBIAJ said:

I think you're overthinking it. Email a few news websites and let them spread it from there. Costs nothing and will pull in at least a few sales.
    If it was that easy and worth their time, then they would do it. You are talking about leaking information if it doesn't go through the proper chain of approval. Corporations have a lot of departments that make things more complicated, and you are talking about 2 large corporations and 1 smaller one. Even if it seems like the information is harmless and it is simple to drop an email or tweet, it may be breaching a contract or could be seen as damaging to the brand by one of the parties with a stake in it. Maybe Sega doesn't want to give the impression that it is trying to scrounge for a few extra bucks, and brand is something very important to most corporations. Look the comments about milking a game every time there is a gta sale on TA. Maybe sega doesn't want to cause a support spike that will affect an SLA on a effectively dead game because that will cost them money.

An employee may think he is doing gamestop a favor by selling a copy of a new game early, but gamestop can get a huge fine because of a contract breach since publishers see that as damaging when it winds up on youtube or twitch early. While these aren't new games, it shows an example of consequence of a contract breach. Even if there isn't a contract breach, they probably need to confirm it first, which means multiple staffers in multiple companies using company time for something that will yield insignificant profit.(insignificant to a corporation).
  • Stevo6483Stevo6483275,939
    Posted on 12 May 18 at 13:05
    MushaConvoy said:
    Id certainly held out hope for Enslaved to go BC, and the DLC get a discount, guess thats a lost cause :(
    Yup, gutted. Loved the main game and always wanted to pick up the DLC to give me an excuse to go back to it but it was always too pricey for what you got. A lot of people missed out on this game and now I guess nobody new will have much of a chance of picking it up in the future unless they find a disc.
    Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas... Whatever!
  • Groudon199Groudon199676,407
    Posted on 13 May 18 at 14:14
    Chakaal Starr said:
    LV 1 Blue Slime said:
    Chakaal Starr said:
    BBIAJ said:

If it was that easy and worth their time, then they would do it. You are talking about leaking information if it doesn't go through the proper chain of approval. Corporations have a lot of departments that make things more complicated, and you are talking about 2 large corporations and 1 smaller one. Even if it seems like the information is harmless and it is simple to drop an email or tweet, it may be breaching a contract or could be seen as damaging to the brand by one of the parties with a stake in it. Maybe Sega doesn't want to give the impression that it is trying to scrounge for a few extra bucks, and brand is something very important to most corporations. Look the comments about milking a game every time there is a gta sale on TA. Maybe sega doesn't want to cause a support spike that will affect an SLA on a effectively dead game because that will cost them money.

An employee may think he is doing gamestop a favor by selling a copy of a new game early, but gamestop can get a huge fine because of a contract breach since publishers see that as damaging when it winds up on youtube or twitch early. While these aren't new games, it shows an example of consequence of a contract breach. Even if there isn't a contract breach, they probably need to confirm it first, which means multiple staffers in multiple companies using company time for something that will yield insignificant profit.(insignificant to a corporation).
    Indie devs Harmonix always announce on their forums, Twitter page, and Facebook page when anything Rock Band-related is being delisted. If it's "easy and worth their time" for them to disclose delist dates without seeing it as "damaging" to the Rock Band brand or the associated bands/artists, what's the excuse for larger companies?
  • Posted on 14 May 18 at 15:37
    Groudon199 said:
    Chakaal Starr said:
    LV 1 Blue Slime said:
    Chakaal Starr said:
    BBIAJ said:

Indie devs Harmonix always announce on their forums, Twitter page, and Facebook page when anything Rock Band-related is being delisted. If it's "easy and worth their time" for them to disclose delist dates without seeing it as "damaging" to the Rock Band brand or the associated bands/artists, what's the excuse for larger companies?
    Different companies have different policies, contracts, and views of things. I indicated one of those companies may see it as damaging, it would be in Obsidian's best interest to check if it wasn't preestablished before announcing anything that could be viewed as damaging to anyones brand.

For Harmonix, it is a pretty established procedure, it very well could be written into the contract when they sign up a band. I don't recall any delistings while they were under Viacom and EA, but they were anticipating losing enough licenses that it would make sense to have a plan in place.
  • AnokiAnoki544,978
    Posted on 16 May 18 at 07:04
    GamerScoreM4STA said:
    I wish they repost the legend of korra for X1 so I can re download it cause somehow my external hard drive like corrupted or something and deleted everything on it.
    If you purchased it digitally it should be in your Ready to Install list. Regardless if it was de-listed or not. I am looking at my Ready to Install games right now and it's still sitting there right where I left it after uninstalling it.

o.O
  • Snake SockSnake Sock361,455
    Posted on 20 May 18 at 20:41
    Is it possible to buy the Dlc from the Us region and play it with the UK game for Enslaved?

Like many others I got the 1k but waited for a Dlc sale, and now they remove it angry
  • Posted on 20 May 18 at 20:55
    snake sock said:
    Is it possible to buy the Dlc from the Us region and play it with the UK game for Enslaved?

Like many others I got the 1k but waited for a Dlc sale, and now they remove it angry
    Yes, someone else in this thread managed to do that. Same goes for the DLC from the Canadian store.
    Math is the only place where you can buy 60 watermelons and no one questions you.
  • Snake SockSnake Sock361,455
    Posted on 21 May 18 at 21:16
    Thanks ^ smile

Sorry to be a pain - does anyone know any guides on how to download over different regions for the 360? Only guides I can find are for Xbox one roll

Bit worried it will be removed from the other stores before I can buy it
  • JdobemJdobem890,854
    Posted on 21 May 18 at 22:44
    as far as I know you can't download from different regions in 360 due to your account region. Which you can change but only 1x a year I think, so probably not worth it. Maybe use a different account to get those and download them on the X1 with both profiles logged on (might work, not sure)
    J
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.