Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

6 Reasons Why Now is the Time to Play Everspace

• x Mataeus xx Mataeus x1,007,977
    Posted on 11 May 18 at 16:11Permalink
    CodeMonkeysGuy said:
    x Mataeus x said:
    Got bored of this mess after an hour or so.
    Harsh words - what turned you off to it so much?
    Just didn't float my boat.

It's been a good year since I played it, so I'll for sure give it another shot.
    I just remember being really confused as to what I kept and what reset when I died, and how progression was saved... Also, It felt like like I was progressing from zone to zone instead of actually travelling through space, which was jarringly restrictive, I was looking for something more freeplay. Not necessarily as vast and complex as Elite, but maybe Dark Star One.

I had it since preview, so like I say I will give ti another shot.
    ~ Vae Victis! ~
  • Vok 250Vok 250209,492
    Posted on 11 May 18 at 17:28Permalink
    I appreciate the transparency. Astroturfing is a big pet peeve of mine.
  • Posted on 11 May 18 at 18:37Permalink
    Legohead 1977 said:
    I like the look of it, maybe when I finish Elite! laugh
    No one ever "finishes" Elite. laugh
    "Only when you allow someone else to define your success do you truly experience failure."
  • SashamorningSashamorning1,805,444
    Posted on 11 May 18 at 21:08Permalink
    The disclaimer on this sponsored article does not appear on the mobile version of this page.
  • Redd FiveRedd Five773,233
    Posted on 11 May 18 at 22:25, Edited on 11 May 18 at 22:29 by Redd FivePermalink
    Look, I know you guys gotta make money, but nothing bothers me more than the "sponsored news" story hidden among real articles. It's the lead article on top of the page no less!

And, the article is "by Rich Stone." Can't even automatically trust the byline anymore...

Please, please don't do this to my favorite gaming website.
    warning

EDIT: (and before anyone bothers checking, yes, I'm a pro member)
  • Posted on 11 May 18 at 22:56Permalink
    Redd Five said:
    Look, I know you guys gotta make money, but nothing bothers me more than the "sponsored news" story hidden among real articles. It's the lead article on top of the page no less!

And, the article is "by Rich Stone." Can't even automatically trust the byline anymore...

Please, please don't do this to my favorite gaming website.
    warning

EDIT: (and before anyone bothers checking, yes, I'm a pro member)
    The little banner all articles have on the front page says sponsored for this one, so you can catch it before you even click on it so it's not really "hidden", but yeah. Not a big fan of them either but it is what it is.
    "Slutty outfit? You're one to talk." "This isn't slutty, it's strategically placed."
  • JuicyjamsJuicyjams747,794
    Posted on 12 May 18 at 02:47, Edited on 12 May 18 at 02:57 by JuicyjamsPermalink
    I actually didn't see the sponsored tab on this one, just went into my site settings and you can scroll down to general settings and set your info to hide sponsored news feed items so you dont have to see this kind of trash. I hope it helps someone.

My Account-> Site Settings-> General Settings-> Hide sponsored news. Set it to yes and your g2g.
    Until I Collapse
  • SashamorningSashamorning1,805,444
    Posted on 12 May 18 at 03:06Permalink
    Juicyjams said:
    I actually didn't see the sponsored tab on this one, just went into my site settings and you can scroll down to general settings and set your info to hide sponsored news feed items so you dont have to see this kind of trash. I hope it helps someone.

My Account-> Site Settings-> General Settings-> Hide sponsored news. Set it to yes and your g2g.
    ...and now I'm genuinely confused, since I have that checked and this is still on my front page, despite the explanation that sponsored items would not show on the main page.
  • Posted on 12 May 18 at 06:45Permalink
    Please don't start with the "X reasons why... " headlines. I get that they bring traffic, but is it the traffic we want?
    At least the article has the quality most of those other articles I Was referring to lack!
  • King fiShiZKing fiShiZ246,895
    Posted on 12 May 18 at 08:06Permalink
    Sashamorning said:
    Juicyjams said:

...and now I'm genuinely confused, since I have that checked and this is still on my front page, despite the explanation that sponsored items would not show on the main page.
    Same here :<
  • Posted on 12 May 18 at 08:37Permalink
    The front page is cached and is the same for everyone, there's not an easy way to solve that. I'll remove that setting as it doesn't work any more.

Will get mobile issue sorted though, thank you.
  • Posted on 12 May 18 at 14:03Permalink
    Lending my voice to the displeasure towards 'sponsored articles'. I already avoid almost all of the internet because of them. I was hoping that setting would at least continue to work for pro subscribers, I'm willing to pay not to be advertised to.
    Posted on 13 May 18 at 09:30Permalink
    Look, I know I'm often the voice of dissent and occasional provocateur, but for me avoiding this kind of article is really important to the site's integrity.

I'm all about straight forward honesty.

Having a sponsored article specifically stating why we should go back and play a game is the exact same as having a sponsored review with a guaranteed recommendation in it, regardless of content.

It removes the subjective opinion of what the author thinks of a game, and becomes a developer-backed bullet point list of features.

At best it's an advertisement for a game which you are readily endorsing regardless of your opinion.

At worst, it's an underhanded, dishonest here's-£50-tell-em-it's-great "review".

TSA was already ruined with all the score capping rubbish. ("People who spend money for this game with 5000 achievements aren't worth as much as people who spend money for this game with 5000 achievements, so we'll make it worth less points because it's our site and that's what we're doing").

So please, one single request:
    Stop it.
    ~ Vae Victis! ~
  • JdobemJdobem675,185
    Posted on 13 May 18 at 11:31Permalink
    well, i dont mind and i appreciated the opp to take another look at the game. Its on sale and fun for short stints of time, as its rogue like. Bought it! Thx TA
    J
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 13 May 18 at 15:19Permalink
    ^The English language has truly gone to shit.

Personally I don't mind sponsored articles, they're all bullshit anyway, sponsored or not.
    If Rich wants to make a bit cash from it then go for it, no sweat off my balls.
    First in the UK for all Vehicular Combat
    Posted on 13 May 18 at 16:29Permalink
    o DEEVIUS o said:
    ^The English language has truly gone to shit.

Personally I don't mind sponsored articles, they're all bullshit anyway, sponsored or not.
    If Rich wants to make a bit cash from it then go for it, no sweat off my balls.
    Fair enough!
    ~ Vae Victis! ~
  • DeceptiveTenDeceptiveTen830,037
    Posted on 15 May 18 at 07:26Permalink
    They need more players or the servers will shut down laugh
    Let's try an get more players to play our broke ass game Achievements don't unlock That's why I will not play games like this they only care about fixing shit that's not broke Fix the shit that's broke.
    I see my friend feed with people talking about staying away from this game.

Anyone who play's PS4 are the Achievements broke like the xbox?
    deceptiveten
  • Posted on 15 May 18 at 12:35Permalink
    DeceptiveTen said:
    They need more players or the servers will shut down laugh
    Let's try an get more players to play our broke ass game Achievements don't unlock That's why I will not play games like this they only care about fixing shit that's not broke Fix the shit that's broke.
    I see my friend feed with people talking about staying away from this game.

Anyone who play's PS4 are the Achievements broke like the xbox?
    Gonna go out on a limb and say you posted this to the wrong article... considering Everspace doesn't have servers and the PS4 version isn't out yet.
    I work on achievements. Life sanity tip: don't work on achievements.
  • reforc3reforc3773,226
    Posted on 15 May 18 at 14:49, Edited on 15 May 18 at 14:53 by reforc3Permalink
    So, from mobile point of view, this article is the third on the main site, despite is from the last week, so it's sponsored and pushed to the frontline... What's next?

Ads on the achievement guides?

Yes, I'm PRO user too

FUN Fact:
    Option by Rich Stone...
    What means "Option" in this context?
  • Chad WilburnChad Wilburn1,097,406
    Posted on 15 May 18 at 15:54Permalink
    Why is it showing $14.99 buy when I go to buy it it shows $29.99??
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.