Game Discussion: Abyss Odyssey Forum

Abyss Odyssey Multi-Genre Discussion

AuthorMessage
Information Posted on 16 May 18 at 07:09
Please use this thread to discuss this game's classification under the multi-genre system.

If you disagree with the current genres, please click the "Add genre disagreement" button below.
Information Posted on 16 May 18 at 07:13
Awoo has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
This game features essentially completely randomized level layouts, and while it is not an overly complex game compared to most in the genre, I would suggest adding Roguelite. You can level up your characters to make them stronger and use funds earned on previous runs to gear up Before each new run, but not more so than certain other games in the genre. Considering the recent additions to the genre and how loose the definition has become, I think this fits right in.
SpiralGamerpro
SpiralGamerpro
Posted on 16 May 18 at 07:15
Dammit, beaten to it
Remember why you're here is to inspire
Vitiated1
Vitiated1
Posted on 17 May 18 at 20:15
I noticed 2 main things that I say disqualify this from the genre:

-Checkpoints. If you get a token you can set checkpoints at various altars through levels, meaning you won't restart the arena or go back to the surface if you die.

-Lives. If your main character dies you can play as a solider who can revive your main character if you reach the altar in the level with them.

So it definitely has some roguelite elements, the level randomization and persistence are on display but the main component, permadeath, isn't really a factor if you can revive characters and use checkpoints. The team has decided to exclude this game, but it really is another example of something that is right on the cusp but falls just short of qualifying for the genre.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.