• Posted on 20 May 18 at 13:39
    The walkthrough has now been published.

You can find it here: THIEF Walkthrough
  • Posted on 20 May 18 at 13:39
    The walkthrough has now been published.

You can find it here: THIEF Walkthrough
  • KanchanaburiKanchanaburi1,202,116
    Posted on 20 May 18 at 14:19
    I am sorry but 10-15 hours is so wrong. only 1% of gamers would probably do that.
  • SliktorSliktor723,930
    Posted on 20 May 18 at 14:48
    It says 10-15 and also mentions a 50 hour play through on the first page. Also says trophies throughout instead of achievements. A few other odd things need editing as well just on the first page.

Either way, I do appreciate the walkthrough. Still need to get through both versions of this game.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm420,777
    Posted on 20 May 18 at 17:50
    Kanchanaburi said:
    I am sorry but 10-15 hours is so wrong. only 1% of gamers would probably do that.
    Try the walkthrough out. I played the 360 version of the game while reading the walkthrough and timed myself. It took me just under 13 hours. Admittedly, I have about 3,000 hours of game play on four platforms--X1, PC, PS4, and 360. However, the speed comes from the routes. They balance shortness of distance with minimal exposure so that a player can zip through the chapters. For city play and the side jobs, I again provide optimized routes and sequences.

Finally, I do all tracking for the player in the walkthrough. I count off every single collectible, every single secret area, every single Basso job, every single side job. Without this tracking, the game would take double or triple the time.

Note that I said 10-15 hours for someone familiar with stealth games and 20 hours for people who are new to stealth games or don't play many stealth games. I do my best to minimize exposure to enemies and hazards but inexperienced players will find themselves having to redo certain sections. There are games like FPSs that require twitch skills--proficient hand and eye coordination. This is not one of them. This game requires basic proficiency in stealth techniques. It requires tactical awareness and patience rather than skilled hand and eye coordination.

To illustrate this point, take a look at the boss encounter videos on page 9. I know people who spend hours of frustrating play trying to beat the bosses. This is because they approach the game as they would a first person shooter. I substitute tactical awareness and anticipation for combat skills. Each boss encounter takes two and a half minutes without ever exposing the player to risk and they are done on the Custom Master difficulty setting.

For a straight story playthrough, including playing on the custom master difficulty settings I employ in the walkthrough, the prologue and 8 chapters each take less than 20 minutes. Adding an hour for transitions, conducting business, etc. and you should finish pages 1 through 5 of the walkthrough in under 4 hours. A fast player can do it in about two and a half hours.

When you play the story a second time to get the collectibles and secret places in the chapters, an average player will need another 4 hours. Instead of the transition time associated with the first playthrough, there is now city play to get the side missions, collectibles, secret areas and so on. An average player will need about 6 hours for this. This is the most time consuming aspect of the game. Finally, the map challenge takes about half an hour plus an additional 10 minutes for a 'tour' of the map that I describe during the Rogue chapter 3 playthrough.

A fast player can do the second playthrough of the story in two and a half hours. Getting the collectibles and finding the secret areas adds some time compared to the Custom Master difficulty playthrough that is done without detours. Nevertheless, fast players make up the lost time because they do not have to worry about remaining undetected. So, the two playthroughs take about the same amount of time. Note that in the second playthrough, you don't have to finish the game so you are only playing about 7 or 8 minutes of chapter 8.

A fast player can do all the city play--side missions, collectibles, secret areas, etc.--in about 4 or five hours. The map challenge will take another 30 minutes.

The bottom line is that players experienced to the extent that they do not have to redo many sections can readily finish the game in under 15 hours. Skilled players can finish the game in about 10. Gamers who are proficient in action-adventure games and FPSs but do not play many stealth games might need a little more time. I have added another 5 hours for do-overs and the additional time it takes to internalize the controller to muscle memory.
    Posted on 20 May 18 at 18:07
    Sliktor said:
    It says 10-15 and also mentions a 50 hour play through on the first page. Also says trophies throughout instead of achievements. A few other odd things need editing as well just on the first page.

Either way, I do appreciate the walkthrough. Still need to get through both versions of this game.
    Sorry about the typos. When I first started the walkthrough quite some time ago, I was thinking it would take about 50 hours. This was based on my first playthroughs of the game on the X1 and PC. However, the more I played the more shortcuts I discovered. Over two thirds of my original 50 hour estimate was due to my own inefficiencies.

The walkthrough is not even the fastest way to approach the game. The fastest way is to do a quick story playthrough getting the collectibles and secret areas in the chapters and then do all city play in post-game. However, I felt that this is not a 'fun' way to approach the game. I feel the city play is meant to be interspersed amongst the chapters so you can see the transformation of the city as the story progresses. You lose this aspect if you try to do all the side jobs and get all the collectibles in post game.

Much of my 50 hour original estimate had to do with keeping track of the collectibles, side missions, secret areas etc. I decided to relieve players of that burden and do all the tracking in the walkthrough.
  • Posted on 18 July 18 at 17:57
    Seeing a few references to PS4 controls like [cn_R2], and then some other things that I can't explain like

Bottom of form
    Top of form
  • Posted on 10 November 18 at 01:01, Edited on 10 November 18 at 01:33 by IronInvoker47
    IronInfidel47 said:
    Seeing a few references to PS4 controls like [cn_R2], and then some other things that I can't explain like

Bottom of form
    Top of form
    In addition to these, which have not been fixed, two of the walkthrough pages straight-up have the word Trophies in the names.

EDIT: I don't like to "complain" about things much, especially since a lot of effort absolutely went into this walkthrough, but it definitely seems as though it was written assuming that the players following the walkthrough would know exactly what's going on and would already know the game. As you said before, you have over 3,000 hours of time on the game (which I'm not sure is a typo or not, but if it's a typo for 300 then that's still a ton of experience), and you find the game to be easy. However, for someone who is following the walkthrough, it definitely will not take 15 or so hours to do everything. I had some suspicions about things when this short play time was first suggested. (I among others find this Thief reboot to be poorly made, so it's hard for me to believe anyone has even 300 hours of playtime in it.)

I also found it hard to match up the pictures with what's being said in the walkthrough; is a picture relating to the words below or above it? I also have had a hard time figuring out where things are in the text in relation to the game throughout, although I'm not sure if that's a just-me complaint. On top of that, a lot of things are just repeated for the sake of repeating them. An example of this is the top of page 7, where the conundrum with credit for the Thieving Challenges is quite fully explained yet again even though it's been brought up several times before; the reader/player will/should have understood this the first time it's brought up, so having to read a long paragraph (which a reader would assume is important due to its length) just to get no new information has been frustrating. I started trying to take this game on since the walkthrough first came out but have actually been put off by how the walkthrough has been written.

EDIT 2: I also don't like how the second playthrough for collectibles assumes the player is completely familiar with the routes they took in the first playthrough. I don't think we should be expected of such when the game is so open to player choice and looks so bland that we already don't know where we are all the time. END OF EDIT 2

Now for nitpicky things: It'd be nice if different areas of chapters were all separated and titled to make finding your place in the game/walkthrough easier instead of having to skim an entire segment of the already long pages, and if the collectible titles were instead just sewn into the paragraphs so things would flow better. I also find the collectible identification style to be a bit redundant (which may just be a conflict in writing style, so take this for granted). For example, a collectible is marked as
    Collectible 49 of 82 Memories of the Dead 3 of 6: Soldier's Memory
    when it could just have easily been mentioned as something shorter with fewer numbers to make things more concise:
    Memories of the Dead 3/6: Soldier's Memory
    Bolding them is good for making them stand out from the text, which is good, and I'm glad that's already featured.

I do not intend for any of what I've said to be an attack on you, it's just what I've thought of this walkthrough and how it alongside the game are discouraging my playing of the game. I have recently decided to go back to finishing Thief with the main motivation of finally being able to get 20GB or so back on my hard drive and just wanted to point things out so things might improve for others with the same mindset.
    Posted on 19 November 18 at 16:23
    Thanks for the comments. First, it is not an edit. I have over 3,000 hours on the game on four platforms--X1, PC, PS4, and 360. I've played the X1 version on multiple GamerTags. I got to the point where I could get 100% of the achievements in one ten hour game session. On one occasion, I started the game one evening. I left Garrett in his hideout overnight so I'd get the More Heist less Speed achievement. The next day, I played through the game in just under eight hours.

I spent some thought on the completion times for the game. The routes are near speed-run routes. Where they are not a pure speed-run route, the adjustment is to reduce Garrett's exposure. I am confident that players who have mastered games like the Metal Gear Series or the Deus Ex Series, can complete the game in under 15 hours. This assumes the player follows the near speed-run routes I provide. Any player, no matter how expert, not using a walkthrough will take far more. There are too many unknowns. The purpose of the walkthrough is to remove the unknowns.

When the game came out, many people complained about the time it took. They'd get lost in the extensive expanse of the city. They would get distracted looking for loot at the expense of efficiently unlocking achievements. So, I spent considerable time figuring out how an achievement hunter would approach the game. How to get 100% of the achievements most efficiently. I figured an expert stealth game player would take 15 hours. I didn't have a good feel for the increased time players unaccustomed to stealth games would require. I decided on an additional 5 hours. Perhaps, I underestimated it. At the time I considered it, I felt the learning curve would quickly pick up. For example, an FPS expert accustomed to going in guns blazing, by the end of the first chapter would have made the necessary adjustments.

For the second playthrough, I considered providing the full routes for the reason you suggested. I decided against it for two reasons. First, whereas your points are valid and I considered them, I felt other people would consider there was too much repetition. Second, the graphics are very time consuming. I'm not an expert. Each graphics, with the four frames takes me a minimum of four hours and up to ten hours to do. Had I provided full routes in the second playthrough, it would have drastically delayed publishing the walkthrough.

This is only my third walkthrough and the first for a AAA game. If I had to do it over again, there are many things I would have done differently. The walkthrough was originally started by Starlight126. He is a prolific walkthrough writer and an expert when it comes to supporting graphics. I am neither. I took a completely different approach. Starlight's walkthrough was a 100% loot walkthrough. I pick up the minimum amount of loot. He provides great game maps. I don't know how to do it. The only thing I can do is take screenshots and use Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop within my limited proficiency to add icons, routes, captions, etc.

I take to heart your nitpicking comments. I would list collectibles differently probably as you have suggested. I established a convention early. It's less concise than it needs to be. Perhaps you should be comforted knowing that although you might find it tedious reading it, it was twice as tedious for me writing it. Being more concise would have helped me greatly. On the other hand, I provided a Google doc tracker/checklist that can be printed or used dynamically online or both. In it, I use the XX/YY format you suggest.

The walkthrough is primarily a narrative walkthrough. The graphics are secondary. For one reason, like I said, I am not expert in graphics. That's one reason why I compressed the graphics and adopted the four frame format. I didn't want to overwhelm the text with graphics as the tail wagging the dog. However, I wanted to help people visualize what was going on and provide the visual cues to help keep them on track. I recognize, as you point out, the quad-frame format makes the supporting graphics more difficult to follow at times.

At the present moment, I don't have much time for gaming and even less for careful reediting of the walkthrough. At some point, I will and will make the edits you recommend. What would be even better is if a professional editor would step forward as a walkthrough contributor and lend a helping hand.
  • Posted on 19 November 18 at 16:54
    I could pass through it real quick and fix some of the things I saw, like the "Top of form/bottom of form" things, the mention of PlayStation controls and trophies, and the collectible naming scheme if you wanted me to. I think if I did anything else it'd have to be something bigger, so I'll stick to the smaller things. Should I ask for the permissions?
    Posted on 19 November 18 at 17:32
    IronInfidel47 said:
    I could pass through it real quick and fix some of the things I saw, like the "Top of form/bottom of form" things, the mention of PlayStation controls and trophies, and the collectible naming scheme if you wanted me to. I think if I did anything else it'd have to be something bigger, so I'll stick to the smaller things. Should I ask for the permissions?
    Yes. Contact Shh I am Batman. He's the walkthrough assistant manager responsible for this walkthrough.

I apologize for the residual 'trophies'. It implies it's a PS4 walkthrough and that the X1 version is an afterthought. The reverse is true. After Starlight126 dropped out of TA, I took over the X1 walkthrough. So, the walkthrough started out on the X1. I was 'canned' from the walkthrough because I took so long. The graphics kicked my ass. With so much invested in the walkthrough, I converted it to a PS4 walkthrough on TT. It turned out that the authors who succeeded me on TA found out what I already knew--writing a Thief walkthrough is a monumental undertaking. So, by the time I finished the PS4 walkthrough, the 360 and X1 walkthroughs were in search of new owners. I thought I had searched and replaced all trophies to achievements but missed a few.

As a final comment. I don't know what the 'best' time estimate is. What I do know is that the walkthrough provides one of the most efficient if not the most efficient way to get a 100% completion. You can probably cut down the time a bit more by doing some side jobs, finding secret areas, and collectibles in post-game play. I, personally, do not like post-game play. I feel the gaming experience is much more intense when everything is done in story mode. Nevertheless, the game reverts to a much more benign state in post-game play. So, it is a little easier to stealthily navigate your way through the city.
  • Dang3R GamingDang3R Gaming1,237,763
    Posted on 19 November 18 at 18:07
    Orrr he could ask any manager such as myself included? I will get you added Iron in a sec.
  • ASUnknown1ASUnknown1289,689
    Posted on 26 March 20 at 03:11
    Just used this walkthrough to get all 1000G. On the whole, it's really fantastically written with a tremendous amount of detail and I appreciate the serious amount of work you must have put into it, thank you! There are a handful of mistakes/discrepancies that I noticed though, and I would like to point these out:

1. At the start of Chapter 2, you mention the achievement for completing the game in over 15 hours and describe that whenever you take a break, you should leave the game running in order to increase the playtime. I understand that this walkthrough was written to some degree for the PS4 version, so maybe it is the case on the PS4 that you can simply keep the game on without a problem, but this is not possible on the Xbox One as the console and/or controller will go idle after a short amount of time. This means that if you were just to leave the game alone for several hours, you’ll get 10-15 minutes of playtime at most. What I did to ensure I actually got several hours of idle playtime was to plug my controller into the console with a charging cable and then leave it laying flat upside down so that the right stick was pressed down and constantly spinning the camera around. The console and controller would then not go idle no matter how long I left it for. I think that if you don’t have a charger cable plugged in, though, the controller will still turn off if you do this, meaning that you’d have no choice but to sit with the game and keep turning your controller on every 10-15 minutes anyways.

2. The one point in the Master playthrough where I had difficulty following your instructions was virtually at the end of the game, in Chapter 8 where you have to sneak past the freaks right before the final boss fight. I found that these freaks were extremely sensitive to sound, far more than any other enemy in the game. This meant that I could not “carefully slip by the one near the door”; I am not joking when I say that taking literally a single step near him at the slowest possible speed would fill the detection meter halfway, so I had to inch my way forward past him step by step at an agonizingly slow speed. When I eventually got far enough into the doorway, I was detected anyway because I was eventually within his vision range and could not move quick enough to get out of it. Thankfully, there are two bottles on a table to the right of him, meaning that I could get past by throwing a bottle in that direction to turn him away from the door. Without those bottles, I might genuinely have been unable to progress. Unless my game glitched or there is something I am misunderstanding here, none of this is accounted for in the walkthrough.

3. When I started the Rogue playthrough, I followed the walkthrough for the Master playthrough to get through the Prologue and Chapter 1 as before, picking up all the loot as mentioned in the walkthrough. This left me with around 1000-1100G. However, when it came time to buy supplies from the merchant in the Crippled Burrick before starting Chapter 2, I had enough money to buy Basso’s Bond, but I was short of having enough to buy the Wrench or the Rope Arrows, let alone having “enough cash to buy quite a few focus points” from the Gypsy Queen. Unless there was something significant I missed in those first two chapters, I’m assuming that you were expecting people to go through the process of the pickpocket loop like before to build up money, but this wasn’t stated in the walkthrough. I had to go through the pickpocket loop a good few times until I had enough to move on.

4. In the Rogue playthrough, during the sweep of the city for collectibles before starting Chapter 3, you say to “go to the hideout gate [Erin’s hideout] as you did in the previous playthrough”. There are two gates to Erin’s hideout though and the gate you used in the previous playthrough (the one that is highlighted by the objective marker) is the incorrect one to find the Sunflower Brooch collectible. The correct gate is the one to the northwest in the sewers. This is not clear at all in the walkthrough or from the picture of the Sunflower Brooch collectible.

5. Towards the end of Chapter 7 during the Rogue playthrough, when you get to the last area with guards right before the boss fight at the end of the mission, you say “When you climb up on the burlap covered box and climb to where you grab a rope arrow, shoot a rope arrow in the second anchor” to get to the Elder’s Memory collectible. Firstly, there does not appear to be a rope arrow anywhere around that area, and secondly, shooting the second rope arrow is not necessary and would have actually used up the last rope arrow I had (you must use four rope arrows before to get all the collectibles and progress as normal), which would then make it impossible to reach the first secret area at the start of Chapter 8 which also requires a rope arrow. You can just reach the Elder’s Memory collectible by climbing onto the first rope from the burlap box and jumping off to the right (I believe southwest) onto the wooden ledge without using the second anchor at all. I followed your instructions and thankfully realised during the boss fight that I had no rope arrows and could quickly reload a manual save; if I had gone on, I might have manually saved at the start of Chapter 8 and then been completely unable to reach that first secret area. Did I just overlook the rope arrow in that area or is there one elsewhere in the chapter that I missed?

I don't want to make it sound like I'm being critical, because virtually all of the walkthrough I can't fault, especially the fact that you've mapped out routes of getting all the secret areas in the city, and if I'm mistaken on any of these, I apologize.
    Posted on 26 March 20 at 18:56
    ASUnknown1 said:
    Just used this walkthrough to get all 1000G. On the whole, it's really fantastically written with a tremendous amount of detail and I appreciate the serious amount of work you must have put into it, thank you! There are a handful of mistakes/discrepancies that I noticed though, and I would like to point these out:

[snip]

I don't want to make it sound like I'm being critical, because virtually all of the walkthrough I can't fault, especially the fact that you've mapped out routes of getting all the secret areas in the city, and if I'm mistaken on any of these, I apologize.
    Thanks for the comments. When I was writing the guide, someone else was doing the X1 & 360 versions. So, the first version of the guide was written for the PS4 & I used PS4 screenshots. Nevertheless, the first time I played was on the X1 and most of my notes came from the XBox One version.

Your point about the charging is spot on. When the X1 was released & when the walkthrough was written, provided you adjusted the console in settings not to turn off automatically, it would remain on. Now, as you correctly point out, the console's idle feature interferes with this. I would recommend the rubber band trick on cn_RS with a wired connection while Garrett is in the clock tower.

I'm surprised (but don't doubt you) that you found the last freak in Chap 8 aggravating. With me, every time I have played, as long as I crouch motionless, the freak will walk away well away from the door. Fortuitously, I still had the original screenshot that I used as an insert in the bottom right quadrant of the picture in the walkthrough. Here, the freak is at the far wall and will not notice Garrett slipping into the lit doorway: https://i.imgur.com/ZSMvcJi.png

It seems I need to add some clarification wrt the Sunflower Brooch & others. IIRC, I had intended to put in a 'supplies required' item before embarking on the chap 7-8 collectibles & secret places but inadvertently left it out. At any rate, I take note of all your comments & will incorporate them into a future update.

Thief is a very difficult game to write a walkthrough for. All the other guides I've seen have focused on loot and exploring the open world exhaustively. Even if done efficiently, the game would take over 50 hours. So, I wanted an approach that would appeal to achievement hunters and substantially reduce the game's completion time. To that end, both the story routes and the sequence of picking up collectibles & discovering secret places were designed for speed, efficiency, and risk reduction. You imply that in your comments and I appreciate that feedback.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.