Game Discussion: Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

Quick way to NG++?

• MushaConvoyMushaConvoy736,528
    Posted on 21 May 18 at 04:16Permalink
    I've tried looking online but all I seem to find are speedruns with wall/game breaking glitches.

Does anyone have a guide for the quickest way to get to NG++ for those final few spells? I'm currently on my first playthru, have used Bonfire Ascetics on the 4 primal bonfire guardians so I can skip those in NG+, soul memory is around the 2.5M mark and have yet to beat the game and DLC areas.

I was hoping to find something like a step-by-step guide, ie "get branch from x, restore rosalina, access shrine of winter with x soul memory..." rather than a full walkthrough.

Am really just looking to minimise future playthrus as much as possible to get to that NG++ merchant.
    Peace Through Tyranny
  • misfit119misfit119910,925
    Posted on 21 May 18 at 04:59Permalink
    I can't give a step by step guide but I can say what I did. I saved every single solitary soul I could safely consume for my final NG++ run. This way once the run began I could consume all of the souls, including any boss and giant souls I didn't need, to get through the Shrine of Winter ASAP. Since you just need to reach the castle, nothing else matters. I think I had to fight a few bosses? Like maybe the Pursuer and The Last Giant. But other than that I just saved up every soul granting item I could to make it as easy as possible.
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
  • AwooAwoo1,544,670
    Posted on 21 May 18 at 07:16Permalink
    I don't see how using ascetics on NG would help for skipping bosses on NG+/++. Shrine of Winter opens if you have killed the main bosses or have gained enough soul memory within that playthrough, however much it is. Has nothing to do with ascetics, that's just a good way to grind the required souls on the Rotten.

As for branches, just look on the wiki for the locations and try to work out how many you'll need. Most of them aren't too far out of the way.
    What can change the nature of a man?
    Posted on 21 May 18 at 08:23, Edited on 21 May 18 at 09:15 by MushaConvoyPermalink
    @Awoo - Using Ascetics on the Primal guardians gave me their NG+ soul, so I could trade it for spells at Straid... so now I dont need to fight them in subsequent playthrus, assuming I have enough soul-granting items to skip the Shrine of Winter (its 1M isn't it?)

I was more wondering what the bare minimum was after the Shrine to complete NG+ and unlock NG++ for the last merchant..

Edit: Just looked it up, the soul requirement goes up each playthru, ultimately 3M souls required in NG++ making it almost impossible to speed through without killing bosses... this sucks, why force the merchant to only sell those in NG++ other than to torture offline players...
    Peace Through Tyranny
  • Posted on 21 May 18 at 12:46Permalink
    I feel your pain, MushaConvoy!

I 1K-ed it on 360, and it was a ballache even back then to get to Wellager in NG++ for the remaining stuff, and I then recently played through SotFS - I'm not at all sure that I can be bothered to do one and a half additional runs through just to say I completed it (again).
  • Ne0N PrimeNe0N Prime652,375
    Posted on 21 May 18 at 12:50Permalink
    On the 360, on NG++, it was faster for me to light the 4 primal bonfires. I needed 10.3 million soul memory to unlock the shrine of Winter and I was at 10.1 after killing the big four. That was with saving souls from NG+ and some grinding in NG++
  • Ne0N PrimeNe0N Prime652,375
    Posted on 21 May 18 at 15:13Permalink
    NG+ roadmap
    Things Betwixt
    Majula
    Forest of Fallen Giants
    Heide’s Tower of Flame
    Be sure to exhaust dialogue with Licia of Lindeldt
    No Man’s Wharf bonfire
    exhaust dialogue with Lucatiel
    Don’t actually have to do anything else

Forest of Fallen Giants
    Fight Pursuer
    Take the nest to Lost Bastille

Sinner’s Rise
    Fight Lost Sinner

Majula
    Pay Licia to move path
    Huntsman’s Copse
    Harvest Valley
    Earthen Peak
    Iron Keep
    Fight Smelter Demon. Lucatiel is a beast in this fight
    Old Iron King

Majula
    Taken from Dark Souls II 360 walkthrough by Ond Angel

“head over to the pit. Equip your Silvercat Ring, and unequip everything else.
    Drop down to the first platform, then drop to the platform below that, then drop onto the one that's not much of a drop. Look across and sprint (don't worry about jumping) towards the next one- it's a long-ish drop.
    Do not drop down to the dirt platform. Instead, drop to the platform below yours. Then, with the metal ladder to your right, jump over to the platform on your left. Drop down again to find a corpse with an item, then drop down one final time to the stone ledge.”

Skipped Grave of Saints to the Gutter
    Black Gulch
    Talk to Lucatiel
    Defeat the Rotten

Majula
    Use Fragrant Branch of Yore on Rosabeth of Melfia
    Shaded Woods
    Doors of Pharros
    Brightstone Cove Tseldora
    Defeat the Duke’s Dear Freja

Shaded Woods
    Shrine of Winter
    Drangleic Castle
    Shrine of Amana
    Undead Crypt
    Obtain the King’s Ring

Shaded Woods
    Aldia’s Keep
    Dragon Aerie
    Dragon Shrine
    Speak with the Ancient Dragon to obtain the Ashen Mist Heart

Forest of Fallen Giants
    Memory of Jeigh
    Defeat the Giant Lord to obtain the Giant’s Kinship

Throne of Want
    Defeat Throne Defender and Throne Watcher
    Defeat Nashandra

Immediately start NG++ repeating these steps until you reach Drangleic Castle

Fine work, Skeleton
  • misfit119misfit119910,925
    Posted on 21 May 18 at 17:33, Edited on 21 May 18 at 17:33 by misfit119Permalink
    MushaConvoy said:
    Edit: Just looked it up, the soul requirement goes up each playthru, ultimately 3M souls required in NG++ making it almost impossible to speed through without killing bosses... this sucks, why force the merchant to only sell those in NG++ other than to torture offline players...
    It's not really that bad. I did this in both the 360 and One versions of the game.

You can get 10k souls per soul of a giant (5 per playthrough) and soul of a hero (4 per playthrough). (180,000 souls)

You get 20k per soul of a great hero (4 per playthrough). (160,000 souls)

Killing bosses gets you plenty of souls, especially if you use the Covetous Silver Serpent Ring +2 and Tseldora set you can get about 50% bonus souls from fallen enemies. Against bosses this can be huge. Even if you just use the CSSR and Jester's Gloves you get about 30% bonus souls. You can also replace the Nahr Alma set hood and robes if you like.

An example is The Rotten - he normally drops about 110k souls on NG++ so that's an extra 55k souls. On top of that, using the Soul of the Rotten and Old Dead Ones Soul (25k and 60k together). It totals at about 250k souls per run so it can easily be farmed using Ascetics, especially since the amount you get for killing him goes up every time. I think I killed him four or five times.

Just all of that alone is 590,000 souls without getting into the souls enemies will drop during that run or the smaller pickups. That's huge, especially if you're using the CSSR and Tseldora set during most of your playthrough.
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
    Posted on 22 May 18 at 00:34Permalink
    Thank you all so very much, this is amazing and exactly what I was after!
    Peace Through Tyranny
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.