Site Wishlist

Got some ideas about how to make the site better? Post them here

Patch Versions Required for Walkthroughs

• FNSUITE GHOSTFNSUITE GHOST1,523,937
    Posted on 23 May 18 at 19:44
    Hey guys,

I may suck at searching on this site but don't see this.
    I think Patch versions should be required for walkthroughs / and maybe even solutions. The patch version is easy to find by going to "Manage Game". It will be at the top right. So often a walkthrough or solution is written with a patch / version of the game that over the years gets patched further. This can often change details of the achievement or create new bugs, remove others.

Many times I've tried to replicate what the guide / walkthrough suggested and got frustrated when I couldn't figure out "what I was doing wrong".

Only to find out after some agony and hours spent, that I was on a different patch of the game and their solution / walkthrough for that achievement was no longer relevant.

Having the patch version required to be displayed for walkthroughs created will let you know that the version you are working from may be different from what the guide was created.
  • AwooAwoo2,210,724
    Posted on 23 May 18 at 20:00, Edited on 23 May 18 at 20:00 by Awoo
    Sounds reasonable enough, at least for X1 games.
    What can change the nature of a man?
  • Posted on 23 May 18 at 20:02
    FNSUITE GHOST said:
    often a walkthrough or solution is written with a patch / version of the game that over the years gets patched further. This can often change details of the achievement or create new bugs, remove others.
    How often is this an issue? I would have thought it would be very rare a patch would render a previous solution invalid or unworkable. Unless the solution involved some sort of exploit or bug, in which case this is usually quickly pointed out in the comments.
  • AwooAwoo2,210,724
    Posted on 23 May 18 at 20:10
    Unfortunately more often that ever, I'd say. Perhaps more rarely for WTs since they tend to be written when the game has already been out for a while, but solutions posted shortly after release are frequently made obsolete when certain things are patched in and out of games. Then there's also the rare instance where patches straight up change achievement requirements, or content updates that add additional requirements to existing achievements. I can see many cases where a small thing like this could be useful.
    What can change the nature of a man?
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant1,120,086
    Posted on 23 May 18 at 20:53
    If a solution no longer works due to a patch, report the solution if there has been no update as it is invalid.
    This post may be sarcastic.
    Posted on 23 May 18 at 23:51
    I run into it in walkthroughs for games . Actually been holding off on posting my Rad Rodgers WT because a supposed patch will make a lot of it completely different and would require a ton of editing .

@Awoo would be easy for x360 games too. On x 1 you can see 360 BC versions under manage game. I’m sure there’s gotta be a way to see on 360 console too.
  • LV 1 Blue SlimeLV 1 Blue Slime1,666,547
    Posted on 24 May 18 at 01:13
    FullNietzsche said:
    FNSUITE GHOST said:
    often a walkthrough or solution is written with a patch / version of the game that over the years gets patched further. This can often change details of the achievement or create new bugs, remove others.
    How often is this an issue? I would have thought it would be very rare a patch would render a previous solution invalid or unworkable. Unless the solution involved some sort of exploit or bug, in which case this is usually quickly pointed out in the comments.
    Happens more than you might expect. Terraria recently got a patch to make some of the achievements easier. Vikings launched with broken achievements, eventually had them fixed, but it broke another one, which was finally fixed recently.
    "Slutty outfit? You're one to talk." "This isn't slutty, it's strategically placed."
    Posted on 24 May 18 at 05:42
    Exactly smile. The rad Rodgers update sounds like it “tries” unsuccessfully to patch the 2 unobtainables and instead jacks up a lot of other stuff. At least on PC from what I’ve been reading in forums.
    Posted on 27 May 18 at 13:09
    Not sure exactly why people think this is "a bad idea". I don't see how it can do anything but help. Even if they weren't required, just having the option to add it would be cool. Yet another example of this I just came across today. They REALLY are more common then you think! Knight Squad Although the walkthrough is excellent, a patch released after the walkthrough was created added an "Easy mode" to the Challenges. Nothing is mentioned about this in the walkthrough (for obvious reasons), so you're left wondering if "Easy mode" will unlock challenges (it does).. This drastically decreases the completion time from 4 hours + to under 2 hours. It also makes some portions of the challenges page (save the excellent strategies) obsolete, since doing the levels in Easy makes for half as many enemies and they take half as many hits to kill.
  • Posted on 27 May 18 at 13:25
    In your above example, a patch version wouldn't tell me anything on its own. It would still need someone to additionally point out the information you've just done. And this already happens in the comments.

Anyway you're right that it can't hurt as an option, but you originally said to make it REQUIRED.

It's already optional now, people can just write it as part of their solution if they want.
    Posted on 27 May 18 at 13:31
    Yeah I understand that, but no one generally does. I guess I just don't see why it would be such a pain to make it required. I mean it takes all of 10 seconds to click on the game and go to manage game. Actually probably more like 3-5 seconds depending on level of hand eye coordination. But even if this extra 5 seconds is unacceptable to you to be required, at least having it as a drop down or something in the walkthrough creation would at least remind people to add it. I myself have 5 walkthroughs published with a half dozen in the works, and although I tend to keep a pulse on the games to see if they get updated and change the WT accordingly, my WT's themselves don't even have the patch versions.

And you're right that it wouldn't tell any differences, but at least if I ran into a roadblock that could be the first step in realizing that something's wonky. smile
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads