Game Discussion: Dark Souls: Remastered Forum

Just how difficult are Dark Souls games?

AuthorMessage
Pris
Pris
Posted on 30 May 18 at 12:51
I've always been interested but never dived in due to how hard they are supposed to be. The only experience with any game of this style is The Surge but even then I don't know how it would compare.

If I can complete that then would I stand a chance with this?
SlightlyErotic
Posted on 30 May 18 at 12:59
They are ok. It’s not a game you can run into to “hack and slash” for a quick kill. You need to take your time buddy. Dark souls games are always an uphill struggle when you first start them. When you are a decent level and have some good gear/weapons/spells etc you will breeze them. With the remastered and 3 there is no level cap on summoning in a friend to help you out in areas where the boss has not been defeated. Dark souls 1 and 2 require you to be in range of a player to be able to be summoned in or summon them them in. There are various “dark souls calculators” on the internet to help you understand why level/summon range you need to be. Just goole them
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 30 May 18 at 16:22
Pris said:
I've always been interested but never dived in due to how hard they are supposed to be. The only experience with any game of this style is The Surge but even then I don't know how it would compare.

If I can complete that then would I stand a chance with this?
If you liked Surge, you will probably like the Dark Souls series and you should be able to get a 100% completion for the games in the series.

Dark Souls is a game that challenges you but is, by no means, impossible. There are very many good guides to help you get 100% of the achievements. Dark Souls was the September 2017 TA Playlist game. You might want to check the discussion in the Spoiler and Spoiler Free threads:

https://www.trueachievements.com/TAPlaylist/2017/September

I haven't played the Remastered version. I've played all the other games in the Souls series on the PS3 and PS4 including Demon Souls that was a PS3 exclusive. Once you play one Souls game, you know what to expect and things fall into place.

To expand on what I said before, the difficulty you encounter does not prevent you from completing the game. Rather, it slows down the pace of the game and lets you advance as your learning curve progresses. It is a game where you are expected to die quite frequently. But the games allow you to learn from your mistakes gaining the wherewithal that you need to proceed. Moreover, if the game is not a good enough teacher, there are countless guides both narrative and video to assist you.
Scotty x360a
Scotty x360a
Posted on 30 May 18 at 17:17, Edited on 30 May 18 at 17:19 by Scotty x360a
As someone who considers himself a pretty poor player of this series, i have the completion in 1, 2, SotFS and 3 and am aiming for this one too. Basically if i can complete them, anyone can. :p Though the difficulty is certainly there and you will need to learn the combat and mechanics as best you can, you can still somewhat trivialize a lot of the difficult aspects, such as the harder bosses simply by summoning another player/an NPC occasionally.

I played The Surge after having completed Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3 and i would say the beginning of The Surge and getting to learn that game was more difficult than i remember Dark Souls to be.

Oh, and this series is my favourite game series and i've only played it since lst year when i got into the first game. Well worth the investment of time and energy. Such a fantastic series.
DAnDaRk11
DAnDaRk11
Posted on 30 May 18 at 18:15
I am currently playing the remastered version. It is my first DS game. The first couple of hours were brutal. I was struggling with the controls and getting beaten up over and over again by the skeletons in the graveyard. At that point I was regretting starting it and wished I would have just tried it on my dummy account first.

So I turned to the internet for help. Basically, I found out about some useful perks and weapons that were available early on in the game. I also persevered with the controls and I now find them much better. In my opinion, the difficulty comes from playing the game blind. I salute the people who do that. Going through the game without knowing about all the little secrets is a big job for sure.

I no longer regret starting the game. In fact, the game is absolutely brilliant and I would recommend it to anyone. I now understand why it has received so much praise. Try playing it blind first and if it's too hard (and you don't mind losing a little personal prestige) look at some guides and youtube videos.
Scotty x360a
Scotty x360a
Posted on 30 May 18 at 18:21
To add to what DAnDaRk has said, there is no guiding hand or instruction or any kind of in-game journal and as such you aren't ever strictly told what to do. You can speak to a few NPCs who will give you a vague idea of where you should go, but if you're playing blind, those instructions will be largely meaningless. I would suggest trying the different areas and try to gauge what seems do-able and if you're going the right way, but for the sake of getting through it, if you are lost/stuck you can look online for a basic run down of the areas you should do in what order.
Living Legends
Posted on 30 May 18 at 20:27
Scotty x360a said:
To add to what DAnDaRk has said, there is no guiding hand or instruction or any kind of in-game journal and as such you aren't ever strictly told what to do. You can speak to a few NPCs who will give you a vague idea of where you should go, but if you're playing blind, those instructions will be largely meaningless. I would suggest trying the different areas and try to gauge what seems do-able and if you're going the right way, but for the sake of getting through it, if you are lost/stuck you can look online for a basic run down of the areas you should do in what order.
From somebody who didn't use guides unless I was lost I have to say it is a tough journey. Finding out the investments done were meaningless, items reinforced or points wasted. Using other items and just going the wrong way is the point of the game. Now the game looks simple to play through.
OperativeEmeral
Posted on 31 May 18 at 21:29
Short answer; other games have a learning curve equivalent to walking up a hill.

Dark Souls is more like hiking up a mountain on your own. And then the mountain flattens after a certain point. Once you learn HOW to play it, the difficulty evens out and it becomes a straight path forward.

It's the getting over that initial learning curve that keeps a lot of players from trying the game.
You ever wonder why we're here?
x Mataeus x
x Mataeus x
Posted on 07 June 18 at 12:20
Dark Souls is hard.

It seems to have been trendy over the last 12-18 months to say otherwise, but this is, after all, the Dark Souls of ARPGs.

Those who think the ride is easy, or say "it's not that hard" will most likely have used other players at every boss, and sped through areas using guides.

But make no mistake, it IS difficult, as are the sequels.

As people point out above though, it's all about learning your enemies and the environment. When you've run through the Undead Burg two dozen times, you'll be in disbelief it ever challenged you - but that it did, and it was hard, and each subsequent area gets harder still.

The only time you'll feel like you're finally making progress is when you reach the point in the game you can "sell" your items for souls (Avoiding spoilers there).

And then you'll meet the giants, and it'll happen all over again ;)
~ Vae Victis! ~
Deschain019
Deschain019
Posted on 07 June 18 at 18:04
If you liked the surge you will be fine in dark souls. It's hard for me to say which is harder since I had hundreds of souls hours before playing the surge, but if you can finish one you can definitely finish the other. Dark souls will still feel a bit different, but you'll get past the learning curve quickly from your experience in the surge. I'd recommend you go for it!
ComboChrist
ComboChrist
Posted on 22 July 18 at 17:42
x Mataeus x said:
Dark Souls is hard.

Go back to reddit and stay there. Dark Souls isn't hard.
Sera Di Siah
Sera Di Siah
Posted on 17 August 18 at 11:47
It's hard if you make it hard for yourself, by spending your hard earned XP on useless stats and upgrade weak weapons. Sadly it's very hard to find out yourself early on what is good and what is trash. Lots of nice solutions and guides out there, like how to get the Black Knight Halberd early on in DS1 will make it a 100 times easier pretty much all game, literally.

I like Souls 3 the most, gorgeous world and also the most forgiving out of all of them. Try them on a dummy and start with Souls 1. :)
'Eyes up, Guardian'
Ostrowidzki1989
Posted on 15 September 18 at 06:58
It's simple. If you approach it like button masher, have fun in undead burg, forest of the giants and and the high wall of lothric.

If you approach it like a tactical action rpg, you're in for a treat.
vSully
vSully
Posted on 10 October 18 at 11:05, Edited on 10 October 18 at 11:06 by vSully
Dark Souls has this odd perception among less hardcore ("casual?") gamers that it's incredibly difficult. It's really not. It just does things a little differently than most other games.

It's sort of like how Mile High Club is brought up by less hardcore gamers when "hardest achievements" are talked about. Mile High Club is a joke compared to some truly hard achievements and Dark Souls is a walk in the park compared to some truly hard games.

With Dark Souls, there is no hand holding. There is no blinking in-game arrow telling you where to go. There's not even a map. Enemies can be unforgiving and even overwhelming when not taken on one at a time. There is no manual save feature so everything you do has permanent consequences. This is honestly the biggest crutch in modern gaming- "let me make a manual save every 2 minutes so if something goes wrong I can try again."

The learning curve is steep. Once you get a good handle on gameplay, weapon and attack mechanics, stamina management, and rolling/invulnerability frames, the game isn't nearly as difficult as it seems at first.
Pris
Pris
Posted on 29 October 18 at 14:20
I am going to get round to playing the Dark Souls series. Im just playing through Lords of the Fallen at the minute which is similar to The Surge. I imagine Dark Souls is just a case of memerizing enemy patterns and not over extending yourself.
iMaginaryy
iMaginaryy
Posted on 11 January 19 at 19:54, Edited on 11 January 19 at 19:55 by iMaginaryy
I mean it's a level/stats based RPG. Therefore, it is as difficult as you make it.

If you're underleveled, you're not going to have a fun time. If you're overleveled, well you probably won't either but at least it'll be relatively mindless laugh

Granted, there are a few techniques and such, and as others have said knowledge is power. But if playing through naturally, it's more just a testament to perseverance, growth, patience, and practice. Keep going, and you'll get there.
Fear is the mindkiller.
Living Legends
Posted on 11 January 19 at 21:44
not understanding the game mechanics does not mean the game is hard. It is a complex game that has different ways to go about completing it.

The only reason people dislike the game and call it hard because it punishes you for your mistakes. It doesn't let you restart with the boss at half health or enemies damaged. It makes sure that you don't use every bonfire because it spawns back the enemies.
iMaginaryy
iMaginaryy
Posted on 12 January 19 at 00:29, Edited on 12 January 19 at 00:29 by iMaginaryy
Living Legends said:
not understanding the game mechanics does not mean the game is hard. It is a complex game that has different ways to go about completing it.

The only reason people dislike the game and call it hard because it punishes you for your mistakes. It doesn't let you restart with the boss at half health or enemies damaged. It makes sure that you don't use every bonfire because it spawns back the enemies.
Not sure if this is general or response/expansion to my statements, but my point was essentially that it isn't inherently hard at all. It can be laughably easy.

A good parallel is like the old pokemon games. You can make it incredibly hard by never fighting an extra battle, rushing/speedrunning essentially from gym to gym. Or, you can max out all of your pokemon's levels, stats, and abilities and play the rest of the game with your eyes closed.

Therefore, like every other level based RPG, it is as difficult as you make it.
Fear is the mindkiller.
LV 1 Blue Slime
Posted on 12 January 19 at 13:51
It's not hard. I would compare it to old-school games like Mega Man. You'll probably get dumpstered once or twice when you reach a new area, but once you learn where the cheap deaths are and the attack patterns for the bosses and regular enemies, it can be done much more easily. Then it's simply a test of your patience to do it "right" instead of trying to rush through the area. That last part is where I struggle headspin
"Slutty outfit? You're one to talk." "This isn't slutty, it's strategically placed."
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.