Game Discussion: Moonlighter Forum

Bug List (Or, Things not to do)

AuthorMessage
Ostrowidzki1989
Posted on 22 December 18 at 19:10
Redanian said:
LV 1 Blue Slime said:
This game is on sale...did it ever get patched or is it still buggy as hell?
It was horrendous on release, but the game is much more stable now thanks to the patches. As far as I know, all of the achievements should be working correctly. If not, the developers are friendly enough and do actually take the time to respond to questions on social media so you could inform them of any remaining bugs and hopefully they'll fix them.
So... would you say it's safe to purchase? Looks like something I'd be interested in for sure, but I'm just not interested in another game that feels broken beyond belief...
Redanian
496,647
Redanian
Posted on 22 December 18 at 19:15, Edited on 22 December 18 at 19:16 by Redanian
Ostrowidzki1989 said:
Redanian said:
LV 1 Blue Slime said:
This game is on sale...did it ever get patched or is it still buggy as hell?
It was horrendous on release, but the game is much more stable now thanks to the patches. As far as I know, all of the achievements should be working correctly. If not, the developers are friendly enough and do actually take the time to respond to questions on social media so you could inform them of any remaining bugs and hopefully they'll fix them.
So... would you say it's safe to purchase? Looks like something I'd be interested in for sure, but I'm just not interested in another game that feels broken beyond belief...
Yeah, definitely safe to purchase. Even if you have problems with the achievements, I've found that you can just play it on Windows and everything will unlock fine due to it being the most-patched version.
Ostrowidzki1989
Posted on 22 December 18 at 22:10
Redanian said:
Ostrowidzki1989 said:
Redanian said:
LV 1 Blue Slime said:
This game is on sale...did it ever get patched or is it still buggy as hell?
It was horrendous on release, but the game is much more stable now thanks to the patches. As far as I know, all of the achievements should be working correctly. If not, the developers are friendly enough and do actually take the time to respond to questions on social media so you could inform them of any remaining bugs and hopefully they'll fix them.
So... would you say it's safe to purchase? Looks like something I'd be interested in for sure, but I'm just not interested in another game that feels broken beyond belief...
Yeah, definitely safe to purchase. Even if you have problems with the achievements, I've found that you can just play it on Windows and everything will unlock fine due to it being the most-patched version.
Okay, I'll get it. Has it been patched on xbox though? I just have a laptop that I use for business and watching movies on... I don't think it's got good gaming quality... so I might not be able to do it that way...

I do plan on buying a decent gaming laptop in the near future, but not quite yet.
Ostrowidzki1989
Posted on 22 December 18 at 22:23
Also, does the game still crash often?

Is there a new game + option yet on the xbox one? I heard it's available on pc.
Redanian
496,647
Redanian
Posted on 22 December 18 at 23:58
It should now be on the same patch as the PC now as far as I know, so I'm guessing that means NG+ is available but I could be wrong. I haven't played it in quite some time.
Ostrowidzki1989
Posted on 23 December 18 at 04:12
Okay, thanks for your time! I picked it up and is on the list of games to play soonish. :)
Redanian
496,647
Redanian
Posted on 23 December 18 at 10:25
No problem, I hope you enjoy it!
Jayowski
287,323
Jayowski
Posted on 14 January 19 at 13:06
Nv Defines said:
Using the emblem back to town from the third floor and then trying to return sometimes results in an indefinite loading screen. For me about 2/3 of the time. Unless youre fine with paying the price for a 1/3 shot at returning, just dont bother using the emblem.
Yep, while trying to perfect all bosses (I'm at the plant one now) I've encountered this bug multiple times.

Also, while beating the last (out of 4, not counting the final one) boss I got no cheevos. After restarting the game I got the cheevo for beating all with the broom, however, I did not get the last boss cheevo (flux guy). Apart from that I had no issues.
Better Living Through Chemistry
Jhilax
265,285
Jhilax
Posted on 19 January 19 at 08:13
This game was a buggy disaster for me. Shortly after defeating the 4th boss, I started grinding out the rest of the crafting, kills and 3rd floor achievements but it appears maybe my save became corrupted or something. It still loads, but no achievements are tracking, and if I hit the home button, or even "exit to main menu" the game freezes and crashes.

Too frustrating to start over - uninstalled.
WhyattThrash
294,505
WhyattThrash
Posted on 27 March 19 at 17:32, Edited on 27 March 19 at 21:05 by WhyattThrash
Since my achievement progress wasn’t updating, after the latest update, I decided to make a backup copy of my save, and continue playing. Achievements were now tracking as they should, and unlocking as they should.

Until suddenly, they weren’t again. Now, no progress is tracked, achievements aren’t unlocking, and the game doesn’t even save anymore. Not when sleeping, when entering/returning from dungeons, nor working the shop. The game is now completely broken.

Opening the Xbox menu also stops all controller inputs from registering, and leaving it open in that state eventually crashes the game. Also, returning to main menu leaves the game unresponsive to button inputs.

EDIT: Apparently this ^^^ is indicative of a corrupt save. Making a copy of my backed up save game and continuing from there allowed me to unlock achievements again. So frequently back up your saves in case they go “corrupt”!
dilemmaemma15
189,814
dilemmaemma15
Posted on 30 March 19 at 21:24
Two achievements have been glitched for me. Beating the first boss and defeating the wave room. Will I have to restart the game to get this achievement or do you think playing it on my laptop with trigger the achievement for beating the first boss?
WhyattThrash
294,505
WhyattThrash
Posted on 30 March 19 at 22:43, Edited on 30 March 19 at 22:46 by WhyattThrash
If you have completed the game already, you could use that save to create a new NG+ save where you could get those a lot faster than on a completely new game. Money and equipment carries over, so you should be off to a good start already.

I don’t know about playing it on PC but a comment up above seems to suggest that would be an option. Don’t know if it handles corrupt saves better though.
eohjay
647,842
eohjay
Posted on 13 April 19 at 20:19, Edited on 13 April 19 at 20:34 by eohjay
How are people creating a backup save? I'm assuming it's on Windows, but could anyone walk me through the process?

I've been playing through across 2 different computers and an Xbox One without any issues until today. After finally getting the Perfect Naja achievement it appears that my trackers aren't updating anymore for any of the tracker-based achievements. Wondering what steps I can take as a precaution at this point, or if it is already too late.

edit: I hard reboot the console (Which is what I was playing on when I noticed that multiple trackers didn't update) and restarted the game. A few moments later all of the affected trackers increased. So, I'm still in good shape it seems. Would love to make a backup in any event, though!
WhyattThrash
294,505
WhyattThrash
Posted on 13 April 19 at 20:56, Edited on 13 April 19 at 21:00 by WhyattThrash
eohjay said:
How are people creating a backup save? I'm assuming it's on Windows, but could anyone walk me through the process?...
Instead of choosing "Continue", choose "Load game", then copy the save to a free slot. There are 5-6 slots IIRC.

You can also use slots to ensure you get the "Perfect boss x" and "Kill all bosses with the broom" in the same playthrough (if you want to customize/spend gold for specific gear just for perfecting f.e).
eohjay
647,842
eohjay
Posted on 13 April 19 at 21:06
WhyattThrash said:
eohjay said:
How are people creating a backup save? I'm assuming it's on Windows, but could anyone walk me through the process?...
Instead of choosing "Continue", choose "Load game", then copy the save to a free slot. There are 5-6 slots IIRC.

You can also use slots to ensure you get the "Perfect boss x" and "Kill all bosses with the broom" in the same playthrough (if you want to customize/spend gold for specific gear just for perfecting f.e).
Holy hell. I totally overlooked that, thanks! I never chose any option other than Continue.

I may have spoke too soon regarding my achievements, too. I believe Distracted Merchant should have popped during the period that my tracking initially broke. It's what made me realize there was an issue when it didn't pop. When I reboot and the trackers started functioning again it didn't unlock. I can get progress to show on other achievements, but not it. I'm wondering if it's because the game may think it already unlocked during the period where the trackers didn't function? I don't know, will muck around with it next week and hope it moves during playthrough 2.

Just to confirm that I'm doing Distracted Merchant right - I can simply put any items for sale, wait for someone to try and purchase it and just let them get angry and leave with it? When I do this I still get a smaller amount of money - is that OK? Also, can it be 20 of the same item in stacks of one? Maybe that is my issue.
WhyattThrash
294,505
WhyattThrash
Posted on 14 April 19 at 10:35, Edited on 14 April 19 at 10:37 by WhyattThrash
You're doing it correctly, and your guess might be correct (the game believes you've already unlocked it). At least it's a really easy achievement to unlock on a new save, so if other achievements are tracking as they should you can just keep going. In my case, however, achievements just stopped tracking altogether on a specific save file. But luckily, I had a backup from a few hours back I could continue from.

Also, the "kill x enemies" achievements stack, and can be done over several playthroughs (including NG+) so no real need to grind those on a single save file until all other achievements are done. Might want to make sure those are still tracking as they should as well (otherwise it might be worth it to restart, they're easily the grindiest achievements).
eohjay
647,842
eohjay
Posted on 15 April 19 at 14:02, Edited on 16 April 19 at 12:51 by eohjay
Thanks for all of the help and information, WhyattThrash.

I tried unlocking Distracted Merchant on another save and it wouldn't pop. I searched the web and came across a topic on another forum detailing someones issues getting it to pop on PS3. They tried multiple times on their primary save, tried a fresh new save, tried reinstalling the game. No dice. What eventually worked for them was deleting their game and saves, reinstalling and starting over.

I'm a bit bummed that I'll have to delete my saves to pop the achievement. Especially with no way to backup and reinstate saves via USB or anything. Hope it won't mess me up for the upcoming DLC! Might try to do some offline shenanigans on a second console to see if that will trigger it.

Also, I had strange issues getting Weapon Master to unlock (craft all weapons). I posted about it and the fix I found on the achievement solution incase anyone in browsing this topic in the future for answers relating to that achievement.

edit: I did get Distracted Merchant to unlock finally, but I had to do it on a different console without any of my previous save data. So, I essentially downloaded the game onto an xbox that I never played it on and boot it up offline so it wouldn't download my cloud saves. Played through until I get close to the achievement, switched it online and popped the achievement - then force closed the game and deleted the new save from my console so it wouldn't muck up my cloud saves.
WhyattThrash
294,505
WhyattThrash
Posted on 16 April 19 at 21:01, Edited on 16 April 19 at 21:04 by WhyattThrash
eohjay said:
...
edit: I did get Distracted Merchant to unlock finally, but I had to do it on a different console without any of my previous save data. So, I essentially downloaded the game onto an xbox that I never played it on and boot it up offline so it wouldn't download my cloud saves. Played through until I get close to the achievement, switched it online and popped the achievement - then force closed the game and deleted the new save from my console so it wouldn't muck up my cloud saves.
For future reference, you could have done the same on a single console. If there's a mismatch between local and cloud saves, you will be asked what to do (keep the local ones or the cloud ones).

So you could've done the exact same thing (delete game, redownload, go offline/abort cloud sync prompt, start a new save file, unlock achievement, delete save/restart game and tell it to use cloud save instead of local file) on just the one console. Just so you know.
kanedaa
539,797
kanedaa
Posted on 24 April 19 at 10:46
WhyattThrash said:
Since my achievement progress wasn’t updating, after the latest update, I decided to make a backup copy of my save, and continue playing. Achievements were now tracking as they should, and unlocking as they should.

Until suddenly, they weren’t again. Now, no progress is tracked, achievements aren’t unlocking, and the game doesn’t even save anymore. Not when sleeping, when entering/returning from dungeons, nor working the shop. The game is now completely broken.

Opening the Xbox menu also stops all controller inputs from registering, and leaving it open in that state eventually crashes the game. Also, returning to main menu leaves the game unresponsive to button inputs.
This happened to me as well, except I didn't have a backup save. I was able to get around it by playing the Win10 version and that seemed to fix my save with achievements updating and popping again. I then tried switching back to Xbox One but it didn't like it, guide button froze it up again. I went back to Win10 and fortunately it was still working. I then found this thread and made a backup of the working save (like many I had never checked the 'Load' menu option), played a little more and then it corrupted again. Loading an older save let me progress again and I've popped the achievements I was going for (reach 3rd floor of dungeons and the banker one).

So while switching to Win10 might recover a save file, it's by no means immune to the problem. I actually started the game on Win10 but switched to Xbox because after several hours the Win10 version would randomly crash and I couldn't get through the first dungeon. Since going back it's been fine though.

During an earlier play session on Xbox One (prior to it completely locking my save which was after I'd seen the end credits) I defeated Naja/Desert Dungeon and also fully upgraded the store/town - except that entire play session no achievements tracked/popped. I quit and reloaded and some of my achievement progress updated (enemy kills, gold from trees etc) but the Naja and store upgrades didn't so if I want those I now have to start over.

It's so buggy!
Zkerf
1,067,266
Zkerf
Posted on 20 June 19 at 13:28
Has anyone successfully unlocked Weapon Master on a console recently? I'm convinced this is only possible on PC. Every time I craft the 9th weapon my save corrupts without fail (I've tried crafting them in a lot of different orders too).

I've tried two separate playthroughs along with dozens upon dozens of backups and it corrupts at the exact same point in all of them.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.