Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Atari Shows Tempest 4000 and Introduces Atari Flashback Classics Volume 3

• punkyliarpunkyliar179,328
  • Kid VranicKid Vranic364,651
    Posted on 18 June 18 at 14:16Permalink
    Are you sure that Tempest was released in 1973 ? I thought it was 1981 (I tried to google and did find a Tempest release in 1973 but that was an music album ;-)...
    There is no Spoon
  • GoZorakGoZorak85,421
    Posted on 18 June 18 at 14:44Permalink
    lol the original vector graphic arcade game Tempest was def released at or near 1981 not 1973...i would know since i am old enough to have been around for both of those years..Tempest the game I was obsessed with back in the day. The many emulated versions of the game have never been able to match the original experience unless you are fortunate enough to have an arcade cabinet that has the original tempest dial/spinner control. Kind of like how its impossible to completely enjoy Centipede without the original arcade trackball
  • SirBaxter77SirBaxter77104,715
    Posted on 18 June 18 at 15:04Permalink
    Way too retro for my taste, some games needs to stay dead.
  • Evil KenivlEvil Kenivl588,540
    Posted on 18 June 18 at 15:15Permalink
    SirBaxter77 said:
    Everything Needs to start somehow… In case of Videogames it was this…
    In few years you will say the same Thing About the games you actualy Play/like them toast
    Gaming since 1990!
  • Dakrkplayer2Dakrkplayer2777,621
    Posted on 18 June 18 at 16:09Permalink
    Evil Kenivl said:
    SirBaxter77 said:
    Everything Needs to start somehow… In case of Videogames it was this…
    In few years you will say the same Thing About the games you actualy Play/like them toast
    Yep kid. Video games did not start at 3D. It started 2D. And Atari made first 3D arcade games in the 80's. Why before it was applied to consoles.
    .XBOX 4 LIFE. https://www.change.org/petitions/to-tell-microsoft-to-make-self-published-live-able-games-on-windows-phone-and-windows-8-and-tell-deve
  • NomstuffNomstuff628,410
    Posted on 18 June 18 at 17:07Permalink
    They used to not even pictures!
  • Posted on 18 June 18 at 17:43Permalink
    GoZorak said:
    lol the original vector graphic arcade game Tempest was def released at or near 1981 not 1973...i would know since i am old enough to have been around for both of those years..Tempest the game I was obsessed with back in the day. The many emulated versions of the game have never been able to match the original experience unless you are fortunate enough to have an arcade cabinet that has the original tempest dial/spinner control. Kind of like how its impossible to completely enjoy Centipede without the original arcade trackball
    i am using the cronus max plus adapater, to hook up trackballs, spinners, and other joysticks with the xbox one, still fiddling with the settings, but the games play a lot better with those.

later
  • MasterHook99MasterHook99504,499
    Posted on 18 June 18 at 17:57Permalink
    I was hoping to finally get Jungle Hunt and Subteranea on Flashback vol. 3. Nonetheless I will still be buying.
  • NawtyCawtyNawtyCawty508,926
    Posted on 18 June 18 at 21:06Permalink
    negative1ne said:
    GoZorak said:
    i am using the cronus max plus adapater, to hook up trackballs, spinners, and other joysticks with the xbox one, still fiddling with the settings, but the games play a lot better with those.

later
    Why f***ing bother. Just play a decent modern game. There are hundreds of them.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm257,137
    Posted on 18 June 18 at 21:15Permalink
    Games like Missile Command, Centipede, & Millipede just are not the same without an arcade quality trackball IMHO.
  • Inspector 74Inspector 74229,918
    Posted on 18 June 18 at 22:33Permalink
    NawtyCawty said:
    negative1ne said:
    GoZorak said:

later
    Why f***ing bother. Just play a decent modern game. There are hundreds of them.
    Hahahahaha PMSL I can't stop laughing after reading this, you angry angry man you make me seem shy hahahaha thats really made me laugh man to be fair I agree I mean I can't stand all these 8 bit retro Indie games (f*(< &*f, I was paying less for much better games on Xbox Arcade (back then £9.99 was proper expensive for a 360 Arcadegame) and none of this 8 bit 5h!t!!!!!
    Posted on 19 June 18 at 02:55Permalink
    negative1ne said:
    GoZorak said:

later
    What trackball do you use?
  • BeanpotterBeanpotter1,001,233
    Posted on 19 June 18 at 14:33Permalink
    Some people's lack of empathy pains me :(

There's some fun to be had, I'm sure, but there's a lot of shit you're not going to want to play for more than 5 seconds too. I'll still bite if it's cheap enough. Tempest without a dial has never really worked. I've played most but it just can't compete.
    Two can play this game.
  • NomstuffNomstuff628,410
    Posted on 19 June 18 at 14:55Permalink
    A lot of this stuff was crap back in the day, Atari had a massive quality issue. Some of it'll still be decent, but not a lot.
  • Posted on 19 June 18 at 18:30Permalink
    Allgorhythm said:
    negative1ne said:
    GoZorak said:

later
    What trackball do you use?
    Logitech Marble trackball, the one with the big one in the middle , not the one on the side.

later
  • Posted on 19 June 18 at 18:31Permalink
    Allgorhythm said:
    Games like Missile Command, Centipede, & Millipede just are not the same without an arcade quality trackball IMHO.
    That's my point, you can use ones that are close with an adapter.

later
    Posted on 20 June 18 at 00:10Permalink
    negative1ne said:
    Logitech Marble trackball, the one with the big one in the middle , not the one on the side.

later
    I'm interested in genuine arcade trackballs--3 inches in diameter. Centipede, Marble Madness, Crystal Castles, etc. all used the 3 inch size. Upright Missile Command used the larger maxi size (4 1/2 inch). Centipede used the smaller 2 1/4 inch that was used in a lot of cocktail tables including Missile Command cocktail tables.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 21 June 18 at 17:23Permalink
    and all of atari's games can fit on one floppy disk :)
    I hate all things PC, and I don't mean personal computer.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.