Game Discussion: Max Payne 3

The Shadows Rushed Me

• Posted on 18 June 18 at 23:29, Edited on 08 July 18 at 00:44 by Psychotic SullyPermalink
    Hey guys,

Who else found this to be not so daunting as many people have made it out to be in the past?

Me personally, I go back to this game from time to time and complete New York Minute Hardcore for the fun of it because It's just too fun to replay.

I've had about 5 successful runs on New York Minute Hardcore with about few tries when I first ever attempted it.

If only this was co-op, I would make sessions every other week to help out!!

Max Payne 3The Shadows Rushed MeThe The Shadows Rushed Me achievement in Max Payne 3 worth 131 pointsUnlock And Complete New York Minute Hardcore

It really doesn't deserve the high ratio honestly.
    Its fun to play and I wish there was a remaster so I can get the achievement again!!

toast
    Suleman
  • Joel78Joel78544,857
    Posted on 19 June 18 at 13:36Permalink
    I really have to get back to this....I was going through it about a year ago, I think the furthest I got to was the yacht level, I didn't have too many troubles to there, probably because I'd just played through about 3 or 4 times to get the other difficulty achievements so I could remember everything, but now I'll have to learn it all again....one day.
  • Posted on 19 June 18 at 22:36Permalink
    Joel78 said:
    I really have to get back to this....I was going through it about a year ago, I think the furthest I got to was the yacht level, I didn't have too many troubles to there, probably because I'd just played through about 3 or 4 times to get the other difficulty achievements so I could remember everything, but now I'll have to learn it all again....one day.
    Hi Joel,

That's very impressive that you got to the Yacht level which is chapter 11 out of 14! So you were pretty much like 75% through it!

If you ever do go back to it, I recommend playing through normal because New York Minute Hardcore itself is actually on normal difficulty which many people speculated in the past that its on hardcore difficulty which is not the case at all.

Practice on specific levels you find challenging until you're confidant at them because it only gets easier with many times you put into practice.

toast
    Suleman
  • Posted on 20 June 18 at 01:57Permalink
    This is definitely one of the harder shooter achievements out there but it's nowhere near impossible. I got it on my fourth or fifth try and I had some very stupid deaths on my initial attempts, some were my fault but at least one time I died from glitching into the floor and falling off the map.

I haven't played this game in years now and occasionally I think about going back just to play through the story which I thought was very good. I never seriously considered playing NYMHC again just for fun but I do wonder how difficult I would find it initially with me not having played the game in so long.
  • Posted on 20 June 18 at 06:15Permalink
    I basically had every possible glitch you could think of going for this, got sick of trying. Maybe if it goes BC it wont be such a glitchy piece of trash for me.
  • Posted on 20 June 18 at 21:26Permalink
    The Allslayer said:
    I basically had every possible glitch you could think of going for this, got sick of trying. Maybe if it goes BC it wont be such a glitchy piece of trash for me.
    I see from your achievements that you pretty much tried to go for the achievement when the game initially was out after one month.

Rockstar has since applied a patch then and it really sorted all the problems out.

I played this for the first time only last year and did not ever encounter a single glitch, nor did I play it offline to avoid the update either which some said made it worse in terms of not getting some extra bonus time added when doing particular kills.

You can definitely get it no problem now if it never goes backwards compatible.

toast
    Suleman
  • Posted on 20 June 18 at 21:29Permalink
    bblcreator8790 said:
    This is definitely one of the harder shooter achievements out there but it's nowhere near impossible. I got it on my fourth or fifth try and I had some very stupid deaths on my initial attempts, some were my fault but at least one time I died from glitching into the floor and falling off the map.

I haven't played this game in years now and occasionally I think about going back just to play through the story which I thought was very good. I never seriously considered playing NYMHC again just for fun but I do wonder how difficult I would find it initially with me not having played the game in so long.
    Funny I went back on New York Minute Hardcore after 11 months and it only took me 3 tries.

My deaths were either me forgetting about specific quicktime events or because I was too tired to continue at night and just turned the console off.

Either way, muscle memory was my biggest advantage for this!

Even after years later I wouldn't have issues doing this again.

laugh

toast
    Suleman
  • Posted on 20 June 18 at 23:38Permalink
    Psychotic Sully said:
    The Allslayer said:
    I see from your achievements that you pretty much tried to go for the achievement when the game initially was out after one month.

Rockstar has since applied a patch then and it really sorted all the problems out.

I played this for the first time only last year and did not ever encounter a single glitch, nor did I play it offline to avoid the update either which some said made it worse in terms of not getting some extra bonus time added when doing particular kills.

You can definitely get it no problem now if it never goes backwards compatible.

toast
    Oh I've tried after the patch believe me I've tried. I finished off some of the dlc in Sept 2013 and I was still trying to get this achievement at that point, I gave up not long after that. Almost 5 years later and like you said I wouldn't have issues doing this either, seriously just thinking about it I can remember the majority of the game it's crazy.

If only I could avoid the glitches, I don't understand I didn't encounter a single glitch on any of my other playthroughs but this mode just hates me cry
  • Posted on 01 August 18 at 13:12Permalink
    Would there be an option to start and complete the single player offline first? Just trying to think of a plan
  • Posted on 02 August 18 at 00:47Permalink
    Mochawl said:
    Would there be an option to start and complete the single player offline first? Just trying to think of a plan
    Not sure what you mean by that? The only advantage I could think of to playing offline first would be to avoid the patch which made New York Minute Hardcore slightly more difficult (it reduced the time you get from explosions) but in my opinion it isn't worth worrying about as if someone is struggling to get enough time to complete the mode then they are probably not good enough to make it through to the end. This achievement is very doable even with the patch. Plus I'm not sure what other glitches and bugs were fixed with the multiple patches so it might not be worth it to play offline without the updates if you run into other game-breaking bugs that have previously been fixed.

But to even unlock NYMHC, you have to complete the game on Hard, and then the regular NYM mode, so you'd have to do all of that offline before you can even think about NYMHC. But I would also highly recommend you complete Old School and Hardcore modes first as well so you have plenty of practice (plus there are achievements for those modes as well and they don't stack).
  • Posted on 03 August 18 at 16:59Permalink
    Mochawl said:
    Honestly to be very real with you, this is all down to confidence and getting used to how the game plays.

I've done 'New York Minute Hardcore' 6 times with the patch and never ever once offline ever.

So this shows how just like bblcreator8790 said, this achievement is very doable.

You just need to actually spend time understanding how to tackle specific parts and improving on your play style as you go along.

There's also plenty of videos too that helps a lot to tackle certain boss fights and close quarter situations.

Its a matter of testing your endurance and skill.

The question is - Are you willing to work on it?

toast
    Suleman
  • Joel78Joel78544,857
    Posted on 14 September 18 at 08:10Permalink
    I finally got it toast I think I managed to get fail pretty much every way possible but finally did it.
  • Posted on 14 September 18 at 23:08Permalink
    Joel78 said:
    I finally got it toast I think I managed to get fail pretty much every way possible but finally did it.
    That’s the spirit!!

Well done son! toast
    “The Shadows Rushed Me” achievement should be a 1:00 ratio
  • Joel78Joel78544,857
    Posted on 17 September 18 at 03:51, Edited on 17 September 18 at 03:52 by Joel78Permalink
    Thanks mate, it was a relief to finally get it after so many tries. The combat itself is not too difficult, many of my fails were for other reasons.....here's some of the latest ones so people can try to avoid them happening to them.

Chapter 7 - Enemies not spawning after a certain point - happened twice in a row to me before I read you can fix it by pausing and then unpausing.

Chapter 7 - Got hit by molotovs twice in a row at the end there....can avoid this by just making a run for it, killing the guy running down the stairs and the 2 at the top. You should have enough painkillers to use pretty much as soon as you get any red on your health.

Chapter 10 - The part where 2 guys on the platform fall down, I usually fire a few shots but they fall down and die anyways...this time I killed one and shot the other only once or twice before moving the camera to where the next 3 guys come from....he somehow survived and killed Giovanna...…

Chapter 11 - After the boat, I stayed next to Passos to shoot the guys at the top of the tower instead of moving behind the car next to it where the sniper rifle is....Passos got killed.

Chapter 12 - Took too long to kill everybody after your blow the building up...it collapsed and I died.

Chapter 13 - Blew myself up with the Grenade Launcher once or twice, mainly trying to get those guys in the bathroom area....just dual wielded there instead next time and picked the Grenade Launcher up before moving on.

Chapter 14 - The first time I made it to Becker, either the game switched me to a weapon that I had no ammo in, or I got the glitch I sometimes have where nothing happens when trying to fire...anyways before I knew what happened I was dead, and my controller was nearly in a million bits laugh

But I finally got there and it was very satisfying.

I think the ratio should be slightly more than 1.00 though smile
  • Joel78Joel78544,857
    Posted on 18 September 18 at 08:13Permalink
    Oh forgot about the time I got to chapter 13 and got killed by that armoured vehicle waiting for it to stop firing...I got a little bored and moved the camera around, I didn't move Max but I still died, so from then on I kept my hands off the control for that bit.
  • Posted on 18 September 18 at 23:42Permalink
    Joel78 said:
    Oh forgot about the time I got to chapter 13 and got killed by that armoured vehicle waiting for it to stop firing...I got a little bored and moved the camera around, I didn't move Max but I still died, so from then on I kept my hands off the control for that bit.
    Hahaha!! I always wondered if anyone would die from that specific point in the game.

I personally did not ever thankfully

It’s always best to completely remove your fingers from the analog from that point on and then rush to the launcher and destroy the vehicle like no mans business!! rock

toast
  • Posted on 18 September 18 at 23:43Permalink
    Joel78 said:
    I still think this achievement should be a 1:00 ratio and that’s my new signature now too if you hadn’t noticed laugh

I’ll also eventually get round to doing Mein Leben on Wolfenstein 2 and that’ll be another piece of cake achievement! :)
  • Posted on 19 September 18 at 14:45Permalink
    A 1.00 ratio?? You're one crazy dude.
  • Posted on 19 September 18 at 17:39Permalink
    Psychotic Sully said:
    Joel78 said:
    I still think this achievement should be a 1:00 ratio and that’s my new signature now too if you hadn’t noticed laugh

I’ll also eventually get round to doing Mein Leben on Wolfenstein 2 and that’ll be another piece of cake achievement! :)
    Your beds are on your nightstand. Don't forget to take them everyday with water and food. Side effects of not taking them is delusion and paranoia
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.