The Bargain Bin

Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

Xbox One Sale Roundup: June 19th, 2018

• Ganon255Ganon255307,690
    Posted on 20 June 18 at 16:10Permalink
    FLACZEK15 said:
    all telltale games are on sale on win 10
    It's barely fair to call those even games, more like choose your own adventure books
    Praise the Sun!
  • Zorlac0666Zorlac0666167,808
    Posted on 20 June 18 at 16:35Permalink
    Ganon255 said:
    FLACZEK15 said:
    all telltale games are on sale on win 10
    It's barely fair to call those even games, more like choose your own adventure books
    Well they're some of my favorite choose your own adventures of all time, and without the video game format we wouldn't have them, so we'll keep calling them games whether you like it or not.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Zorlac0666 Please subscribe!! Xbox live Zorlac0666, Steam-Zorlac666 battle.net Zorlac#1875 Nintendo network Zorlac666
  • TymanTheLongTymanTheLong249,211
    Posted on 20 June 18 at 21:36Permalink
    Zorlac0666 said:
    dlink1993 said:
    Does anyone recommend diablo for this price?
    Absolutely. ignore the haters, it's one of the best games in a long time, and definitely the best ARPG on the market.
    On XBox One there’s multiple games that beat the tar out of Diablo 3. Diablo 3 is by no means a bad game, but it’s pretty stale and stuck in ARPG yesteryear with a dash of what they learned from WOW tossed in.

The better options, in no particular order:
    Path of Exile, a F2P Diablo clone with that has much better gameplay for free. Almost all paid content is for convenience or cosmetic, such as premium pets or extra stash tabs. At worst the best value stash tabs, which are not required, but store massive piles of end game stuff, would run you $5-8 total and you have until end game to decide if you even want to keep playing enough to warrant them. PoE is known for having the biggest and best skill tree available in any of these games, something they refine every so often to make it even better (you get free respecs when they do this).

Titan Quest, this is an older PC game port (disclaimer I have not yet played the XBox One version) with amazing art and gameplay. Every character selects two classes, making for some rather unique combinations (I believe there are about 10 base classes, so that’s a lot of possible combos). The one truly fun aspect of this game is that enemies actually use the equipment they drop. So that Minotaur boss spawning with a truly powerful weapon or piece of armor is both a blessing and a surprising curse (one time he spawned for me with a unique axe and unique belt, making him almost impossible to kill as he took very little damage and could take off 80% of my life with one hit). Titan Quest costs quite a bit, I’d argue if it’s as good as the PC version that it’s far better than D3.

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 1 and 2, 1 isn’t as good as D3 but it’s cheap and entertaining, 2 was supposed to have been a lot better but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Games that are similar but not Diablo clones:
    Dragon Age Inquisition
    Death Trap Dungeon (this was GWG awhile back)
    The Witcher 3

Short Games
    Bastion
    Child of Light
  • KenH2k4KenH2k4517,547
    Posted on 20 June 18 at 22:45Permalink
    Thanks for those recommendations! I enjoy Diablo and I'll check those out. PoE is pretty cool, and I loved Child of Light. I can't get into Dragon Age though and I bought Bastion when they announced the One version was free for 360 owners. I haven't played either yet, but started both of them for Bean Dive last year
    Posted on 20 June 18 at 23:23Permalink
    KenH2k4 said:
    Thanks for those recommendations! I enjoy Diablo and I'll check those out. PoE is pretty cool, and I loved Child of Light. I can't get into Dragon Age though and I bought Bastion when they announced the One version was free for 360 owners. I haven't played either yet, but started both of them for Bean Dive last year
    Bastion is one of the best indie games in the past 10 years. I’d be thrilled if you played it, it’s one of those games that deserves a shot with every gamer and I put very few games in that category.
  • Zorlac0666Zorlac0666167,808
    Posted on 21 June 18 at 03:48Permalink
    TymanTheLong said:
    Zorlac0666 said:
    dlink1993 said:
    Does anyone recommend diablo for this price?
    Absolutely. ignore the haters, it's one of the best games in a long time, and definitely the best ARPG on the market.
    On XBox One there’s multiple games that beat the tar out of Diablo 3. Diablo 3 is by no means a bad game, but it’s pretty stale and stuck in ARPG yesteryear with a dash of what they learned from WOW tossed in.

The better options, in no particular order:
    Path of Exile, a F2P Diablo clone with that has much better gameplay for free. Almost all paid content is for convenience or cosmetic, such as premium pets or extra stash tabs. At worst the best value stash tabs, which are not required, but store massive piles of end game stuff, would run you $5-8 total and you have until end game to decide if you even want to keep playing enough to warrant them. PoE is known for having the biggest and best skill tree available in any of these games, something they refine every so often to make it even better (you get free respecs when they do this).

Titan Quest, this is an older PC game port (disclaimer I have not yet played the XBox One version) with amazing art and gameplay. Every character selects two classes, making for some rather unique combinations (I believe there are about 10 base classes, so that’s a lot of possible combos). The one truly fun aspect of this game is that enemies actually use the equipment they drop. So that Minotaur boss spawning with a truly powerful weapon or piece of armor is both a blessing and a surprising curse (one time he spawned for me with a unique axe and unique belt, making him almost impossible to kill as he took very little damage and could take off 80% of my life with one hit). Titan Quest costs quite a bit, I’d argue if it’s as good as the PC version that it’s far better than D3.

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 1 and 2, 1 isn’t as good as D3 but it’s cheap and entertaining, 2 was supposed to have been a lot better but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Games that are similar but not Diablo clones:
    Dragon Age Inquisition
    Death Trap Dungeon (this was GWG awhile back)
    The Witcher 3

Short Games
    Bastion
    Child of Light
    I've played all of those. Bastion, and Child of light aren't the same type of game.
    Titan Quest is a buggy mess on Xbox, and while good is nowhere near as good as diablo 3 (and this is coming from someone that loves titan quest)

Path of Exile while good doesn't come close to Diablo 3's gameplay. Just because it's free and good doesn't make it great. The combat is still slow and clunky in comparison, and it's incredibly grindy. Also that amazingly huge skill tree? 99% pointless since you're literally just putting points in the stats to get to the skill augments. Blizzard did away with the pointless stat leveling in Diablo and Wow because they were just that, pointless. Having a massive skill tree means nothing if 99% of the skills in it (like PoE) are passive stat sticks.

I have a LOAD of experience in ARPGs, and I still think D3 is the best on the market by a long shot. It's one time entery fee has hundred and hundreds of hours of gameplay. You literally only mentioned 2 comparable games (Path, and Titan Quest), the others you mentioned are mostly different genres. They're all good games, just not comparable with Diablo since they're different kinds of games.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Zorlac0666 Please subscribe!! Xbox live Zorlac0666, Steam-Zorlac666 battle.net Zorlac#1875 Nintendo network Zorlac666
    Posted on 21 June 18 at 08:16Permalink
    Zorlac0666 said:
    Obviously some of this comes down to personal taste and preference. With that said:

I disagree that PoE isn’t better than D3. It has better story and a much better end game. The skill tree does have a lot of passive stats, but given the inclusion of skills that radically change how your character plays (such as losing all mana and using Health to find spells or being unable to dodge in exchange for never receiving a crit) some sort of stat manipulation is important for allowing the flexibility to really unlock the power of that. With the the Labrynth skill tree on top of that, there really is a lot there. Being free is simply a bonus.

That’s too bad if Titan Quest is buggy, it is a really outstanding game.

I didn’t provide a bunch more examples because I figured I’d already rambled on a ton just talking about 2.

The other games I listed are definitely capable of scratching a similar gaming itch.

And Bastion is definitely an ARPG, Child of Light is similar enough in the light handed realm of ARPG I figured it was worth a mention.

As for Diablo 3 being the best ever... dunno man, I’ve heard that a lot since its launch and found it to largely not be true, ESPECIALLY if I include PC ARPGs in the list of comparisons.

As it is there’s other amazing games I haven’t mentioned, such as Crimson Alliance. They’re not all, feature for feature exactly like D3’s brand of ARPG, but that doesn’t mean they’re not a better value for many, especially considering the extremely high price D3 still goes for on XBox One.
  • Posted on 26 June 18 at 00:02Permalink
    Is it just me or are the Win 10 Telltale Games no longer on sale? Can someone else confirm this?
    Tsu
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.