Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Shadow of the Tomb Raider's Best Asset May Surprisingly Be Its Story

• SKORPIONICSKORPIONIC344,546
    Posted on 19 June 18 at 17:59Permalink
    Funny you bring this up. I had just read an article written by a twenty something year old gal who was pointing out that this Lara, being the same age, is prone to the same impulsive, self-righteous boneheaded behavior that a lot of people her age are. But, for the sake of the narrative, we are trusting the questionable wisdom of our Lara to murder her way through hundreds of people to make sure she gets her way.
    Thinking back on playing the older games, when I was obviously younger, I saw Lara as a slightly older, more mature & experienced character whose implied wisdom (to kill, to decide decide the fate of catastrophe... ) was easier to swallow. Of course, this is nothing new to gaming, but because me & Lara go way back, I was more than slightly unsettled by the turn the new games are taking.
    Now, I realise we can't run through the whole game shooting monkeys & tigers. And that church-sanctioned mercs are just as despicable /disposable as they come. I'm just hoping that Shadow does address the consequences of all this. I'll be there day one to find out.
  • etcher1981etcher1981561,044
    Posted on 19 June 18 at 19:09Permalink
    For the bulk of my hands-on time, while I was thinking of how I would report back on what I saw, I couldn't help but feel like it was more of the same from the series. <<<< and why is this a bad thing? lol. Gamers today whine to much about that and graphics......smh
    3tch3r "Keep on Keepin' On.
  • Posted on 19 June 18 at 19:37Permalink
    etcher1981 said:
    For the bulk of my hands-on time, while I was thinking of how I would report back on what I saw, I couldn't help but feel like it was more of the same from the series. <<<< and why is this a bad thing? lol. Gamers today whine to much about that and graphics......smh
    Keep reading and you’ll see I followed that point with “but for some that’s totally fine.”
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant445,067
    Posted on 19 June 18 at 19:59, Edited on 19 June 18 at 20:26 by LuckyKantPermalink
    As soon as the name was announced, it was clear that we would see a darker Lara, and I look forward to it. Thanks for the write up. You say the reasons for the flood were not shown but isn't due to the figurine she collected, as shown in a trailer?
    This post may be sarcastic.
  • Posted on 19 June 18 at 20:07Permalink
    LuckyConquerer2 said:
    As soon as the name was announced, it was clear that we would see a darker Lara, and I look forward to it. Thanks for the right up. You say the reasons for the flood were not shown but isn't due to the figurine she collected, as shown in a trailer?
    Yes I believe so, but I think she is blaming herself for bigger picture problems too and those are details they aren’t yet discussing.
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant445,067
    Posted on 19 June 18 at 20:26Permalink
    N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
    LuckyConquerer2 said:
    As soon as the name was announced, it was clear that we would see a darker Lara, and I look forward to it. Thanks for the right up. You say the reasons for the flood were not shown but isn't due to the figurine she collected, as shown in a trailer?
    Yes I believe so, but I think she is blaming herself for bigger picture problems too and those are details they aren’t yet discussing.
    Why did you edit my comment in the quote? wink
    This post may be sarcastic.
  • BlackxRyanBlackxRyan609,192
    Posted on 19 June 18 at 22:08Permalink
    Hope it will be in the Game Pass
  • FORTE IS KINGFORTE IS KING1,232,618
    Posted on 20 June 18 at 00:48Permalink
    BlackxRyan said:
    Why would you hope this is in Game pass? The only way this would be in Game pass is if it was years after release. It's not a Microsoft published game. So it will definitely not be on Game pass on release.
  • J2B9J2B9584,682
    Posted on 20 June 18 at 01:04Permalink
    BlackxRyan said:
    Why would it? Rise made a deal to be exclusive on xbox for a year but clearly that was a one time thing. So they have no deal like that with this and it’s not a Microsoft game so they aren’t going to have it on game pass day 1.
  • Posted on 20 June 18 at 03:51Permalink
    FORTE IS KING said:
    BlackxRyan said:
    Why would you hope this is in Game pass? The only way this would be in Game pass is if it was years after release. It's not a Microsoft published game. So it will definitely not be on Game pass on release.
    Several upcoming third-party games are launching day and date with Game Pass access. These have so far been smaller or indie games, but don't sleep on the future prospects of Game Pass. You're correct that, for now, this won't be a launch day Game Pass title, though.
  • GrekinskiGrekinski124,419
    Posted on 20 June 18 at 04:35Permalink
    While I disagree a little about how the narrative in the last games feel normal, I agree that this time around, we can see a bigger character development in Lara, than Rise of the Tomb Raider.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 20 June 18 at 10:28, Edited on 20 June 18 at 10:29 by Permalink
    i surely hope that tomb raider doesnt get the COD treatment...nonetheless tomb raider games have been good. here is a classic example of a woman in a game who fits perfectly, always has.
    I hate all things PC, and I don't mean personal computer.
  • SashamorningSashamorning1,700,677
    Posted on 20 June 18 at 10:39Permalink
    No way, a.... what was that you said... a story? That's so bizarre.

A few weeks ago we were all saying that story was incidental on the way to multiplayer modes.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
  • Santa 2512Santa 251298,633
    Posted on 20 June 18 at 14:33Permalink
    Tomb raider ? or Tomb whimperer,

Where has the real Lara gone?

Tombs, puzzles & artifacts with a decent back story, thats all that is required.

We dont want an Ezio Solid Sam sombody who cries at the slightest injury
  • halohogghalohogg92,600
    Posted on 20 June 18 at 17:15Permalink
    Love it ... Want it!
  • KnoellKnoell330,571
    Posted on 21 June 18 at 22:07Permalink
    SKORPIONIC said:
    Funny you bring this up. I had just read an article written by a twenty something year old gal who was pointing out that this Lara, being the same age, is prone to the same impulsive, self-righteous boneheaded behavior that a lot of people her age are. But, for the sake of the narrative, we are trusting the questionable wisdom of our Lara to murder her way through hundreds of people to make sure she gets her way.
    Thinking back on playing the older games, when I was obviously younger, I saw Lara as a slightly older, more mature & experienced character whose implied wisdom (to kill, to decide decide the fate of catastrophe... ) was easier to swallow. Of course, this is nothing new to gaming, but because me & Lara go way back, I was more than slightly unsettled by the turn the new games are taking.
    Now, I realise we can't run through the whole game shooting monkeys & tigers. And that church-sanctioned mercs are just as despicable /disposable as they come. I'm just hoping that Shadow does address the consequences of all this. I'll be there day one to find out.
    They do kind of a good job making the mercs out to be awful people committing atrocities on the island. I get the same feeling but the reality is it would be a walking simulator without the combat so we can probably just roll with the seemingly senseless murder.
  • SashamorningSashamorning1,700,677
    Posted on 21 June 18 at 22:26Permalink
    Thinking about the title of the article, was there some other asset in the game that would have been less surprising?

Just curious.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
  • Posted on 22 June 18 at 01:05Permalink
    it looks interesting, but after spending 110 hours + on rise of the tomb raider, and be unable to get 100% achievements due to a glitch which apparently is exclusive to the one x. Im not really feeling the need to part with cash for this game when there's so many others out there that looks way more interesting. i like to support the games i buy. get the dlc go for the achievements, this season pass will be expensive and i won't get fucked again.
  • Posted on 22 June 18 at 05:40Permalink
    Sashamorning said:
    Thinking about the title of the article, was there some other asset in the game that would have been less surprising?

Just curious.
    I'm not sure what you mean, to be honest. I'm sure it's just me as it's late here and I'm about to pass out. Can you explain and maybe I can answer your question?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.