Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

We Happy Few Undergoes a Major Facelift Ahead of August Release

AuthorMessage
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 21 June 18 at 15:59
Take your happy pills

Please click here to read the story: We Happy Few Undergoes a Major Facelift Ahead of August Release
thatNoseyParker
Posted on 21 June 18 at 16:11
Thanks god! Everything you wrote is like reading my mind!
- First reveal was my highlight that year
- Reminded me of Bioshock but I wouldn't call it a copy or anything down that road
- Watching my friend play the game preview left me very disappointed, being more survival heavy instead of more linear story
- The last trailer I saw looked like an overhaul bringing it back to story, but I didn't want to get my hopes up
- Woohoo I'm now super excited after reading this
IXI FalcoN
IXI FalcoN
Posted on 21 June 18 at 16:59
LOL

So they scrapped their initial bait-n-switch janky survival game to make the game that everyone actually wanted from the get go. This is why I hate early access/game preview, whatever you want to call it. Just make a game and release it as a full product while showing some teasers along the way. I don't know what to think of this game because the development has been all over the place.

Out of the MS acquisitions, this studio had me the least excited. They have a lot to prove and got off to a bad start with this game. Gonna wait for reviews/impressions on this one.
Ryn0 L
Ryn0 L
Posted on 21 June 18 at 17:00
GREAT news. I was really turned off by the game preview I played years ago, like you. I wanted something with more story like Bioshock, and I'm glad to read that it has moved that direction. This game is back on my radar!
Ryn0 L
Ryn0 L
Posted on 21 June 18 at 17:02
thatNoseyParker said:
Thanks god! Everything you wrote is like reading my mind!
- First reveal was my highlight that year
- Reminded me of Bioshock but I wouldn't call it a copy or anything down that road
- Watching my friend play the game preview left me very disappointed, being more survival heavy instead of more linear story
- The last trailer I saw looked like an overhaul bringing it back to story, but I didn't want to get my hopes up
- Woohoo I'm now super excited after reading this
Same exact thought process for me!
Fanta Morgana
Fanta Morgana
Posted on 21 June 18 at 17:20
IXI FalcoN said:
LOL

So they scrapped their initial bait-n-switch janky survival game to make the game that everyone actually wanted from the get go. This is why I hate early access/game preview, whatever you want to call it. Just make a game and release it as a full product while showing some teasers along the way. I don't know what to think of this game because the development has been all over the place.

Out of the MS acquisitions, this studio had me the least excited. They have a lot to prove and got off to a bad start with this game. Gonna wait for reviews/impressions on this one.
You could on the other hand argue, that if they just made a game, they would've stuck with the survival. Once they released the preview build, they got feedback, which probably made them change direction.
Personally I'm with you and won't buy any early access games. There is enough finished stuff for me to play out there. In this case however it may have lead to a better game.
IXI FalcoN
IXI FalcoN
Posted on 21 June 18 at 17:31
They didn't need to go into preview to come to the conclusion that the reveal trailer did not represent the build at the time. It was practically false advertisement. The same result would have been achieved once gameplay footage was released.

I think in the end we're going to get a better game out if it too, which is why the preview route bothers me. A lot of people, including myself until now, wrote the game off years ago because of it. If the game turns out to be good, I fear its reputation while in preview will hurt it.
Elite1111111111
Posted on 21 June 18 at 18:08
IXI FalcoN said:
They didn't need to go into preview to come to the conclusion that the reveal trailer did not represent the build at the time. It was practically false advertisement. The same result would have been achieved once gameplay footage was released.

I think in the end we're going to get a better game out if it too, which is why the preview route bothers me. A lot of people, including myself until now, wrote the game off years ago because of it. If the game turns out to be good, I fear its reputation while in preview will hurt it.
I'm not sure if it negatively affected it too much, but IIRC Titanfall 2 had the same issue just from the first beta. A lot of people turned away though the feedback from the beta changed things for the better.
TinSigmund666
TinSigmund666
Posted on 21 June 18 at 18:38
I still hope for a patch, DLC or update where you can play a new game+ that is also kind of hardcore mode or one life=game over....
But hey: I am hyped. Hyped. Hyped so far!
brooza664
brooza664
Posted on 21 June 18 at 18:38
That's great, I can look forward to playing this again.
pukem0nn
pukem0nn
Posted on 21 June 18 at 18:51
IXI FalcoN said:
LOL

shouldn't you LOVE game preview?

because of it, this game will not be the survival game we would all hate, and instead have a story like everyone wanted.

if it were released in the preview state as it was revealed, it would have tanked.
vanuslux
vanuslux
Posted on 21 June 18 at 18:52
I feel pretty sure that when they first released the early access, they were very clear that the story elements hadn't been put in yet...that what was there was just the rough framework of the core mechanics. The whole reason I didn't buy the early access was because I wasn't confident in the game ever being completed, but the intention to add the story later was always there. It's just taken them forever to get there.
Poopdog M60Riot
Posted on 21 June 18 at 19:47
Well it’s 15% off until it fully releases, but I’ll have to wait for reviews.
Banana Big Boys
Dibbs93
Dibbs93
Posted on 21 June 18 at 20:25
So glad I bought this when it first came out the price has literally tripled
Mental Hilarity
Posted on 21 June 18 at 21:32
IXI FalcoN said:
LOL

Wait, you're complaining that a game company made a game that people wanted?
MarioToo
MarioToo
Posted on 21 June 18 at 22:50
I think people forget that Game Preview gives early access to money developers may need initially to help with development. Kind of like crowd funding. Without it, the game probably wouldn’t have gotten off the ground. Let alone becoming what it has.
IXI FalcoN
IXI FalcoN
Posted on 21 June 18 at 23:18
Mental Hilarity said:
IXI FalcoN said:
LOL

Wait, you're complaining that a game company made a game that people wanted?
Of course not, I'm glad it's going in this direction in the end. I just think the roller coaster ride to get there is ridiculous.

I think early access success stories set a bad precedent for the industry. People shouldn't be getting excited/conditioned to pay for unfinished, broken products that may not be finished or in this case turned into something completely different. I'm happy it changed in this scenario, but surely there's some people out there that are not happy about it and would have preferred a more polished survival game.
JakThaRiPP3R84
Posted on 22 June 18 at 01:01
it looked weird, on the corny side but i'll give it a go if it's worth it.
zzUrbanSpaceman
Posted on 22 June 18 at 02:08
vanuslux said:
I feel pretty sure that when they first released the early access, they were very clear that the story elements hadn't been put in yet...
This. I was under no illusion that the game I saw in Game Preview years ago was even close to the end game, and that it was a mechanical test and subject to a lot of change as they developed the game further.

Was it different to the initial vision for the game? OF COURSE IT WAS. They hadn't had time to develop the full game yet, nor work out what does and does not work as far as gameplay goes.

If you go into Early Access, this is what you are buying into. What I find particularly frustrating is the number of people going into Early Access and expecting a complete, polished, fleshed out game experience every time. That's not what the program is about. Stop going into it with these unrealistic expectations and you'll stop being disappointed. And if you are one of these people, perhaps Early Access just isn't for you?
Alebelly
Posted on 22 June 18 at 02:13, Edited on 22 June 18 at 02:13 by Alebelly
So, if you piece it all together together, this was going out the door as an underwhelming survival game, then came along some sort of change, possibly MS stepped in, and suddenly they decide to shoehorn in a story campaign in a few short months and tone down the things they've spent the entire development process working on. Sounds promising.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.

Account Settings

In order for TrueAchievements to track your games and achievements correctly, it is required that we have access to your achievements. If your achievements are not being scanned in, it is likely that your privacy settings are not allowing this. To correct this, please follow these instructions:

1. Log into https://www.xbox.com/

2. Click on My Account in the top toolbar.
My Account location.

3. Scroll down to Safety and select Manage my privacy and online safety.
Privacy and online safety location.

4. Scroll down to 'Others can'. You need to make sure that 'Everybody' can see your game and app history
Game and app history location.

These steps will allow TrueAchievements to update all of your achievements across all Xbox platforms.