Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Poll: When Do You Want the Next Xbox Console to Release?

AuthorMessage
Fez40
Fez40
Posted on 26 June 18 at 22:44
I'm hoping after 2022... I would much rather they released newer iterations of the current generation, the One X seems to be pretty good. I'm still going steady with my 360, I just hope that I have plenty of time to play new and online games when I do find the money for the Xbone.
XenitXTD
XenitXTD
Posted on 27 June 18 at 08:31, Edited on 27 June 18 at 08:36 by XenitXTD
2020 is fine if its not a Premium Price Tag...

The limiting factor for these short cycles is the cost of the upgrade... $500 for the XBOX One X was one thing but $500 every 3 years won't play well with the majority

The X was a performance jump and the 2020 console will also have a performance leap over the X and I accept a slim version in 2023 or 2024 but if its another leap in performance with a price tag then it becomes unbearable... as I would get the 2020 console but not the 2023 slim but a new performance jump would suck as it means I am not getting the best experience anymore.

Similar to the current if you dont have an X you dont get the best version but for people without 4k thats not neccesarily and issue. In 2020 more people will have 4k and even more in 2023 so it would suck indeed

Lets hope that backwards compat is now standard... And new consoles dont reset interfaces like 360 to 1 which lost all functionality that already existed on 360, but instead builds on whats already there adding more functionality like they do now and not starting over.

I am excited but cautious as well for the next console as it will show us Microsoft's future roadmap and plans on how they want to handle things versus what they say
SOUL OF GAME24
Posted on 28 June 18 at 08:40, Edited on 28 June 18 at 08:43 by SOUL OF GAME24
I'm still saving for ps4 pro and Xbox one X. I hope the next gen is 6 - 7 years away!
also Rockstar needs to release 3 - 4 games before the next gen begins.rock
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 28 June 18 at 15:27
SOUL OF GAME24 said:
I'm still saving for ps4 pro and Xbox one X. I hope the next gen is 6 - 7 years away!
also Rockstar needs to release 3 - 4 games before the next gen begins.rock
I think the PS5 is pretty definite for 2020. The issue is whether Microsoft wants to go toe to toe with Sony again and release the XBox Two at the same time.
AdvisingMonkey2
Posted on 28 June 18 at 16:23
First off there is an exclusive game problem for Xbox at the moment. What would be the point of abandoning ship for the next gen? The smart move would be to develop more games for current gen, that's what all the customers want anyway. If another console comes out though I can only see it being another slim Xbox One not an entire new gen system.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 28 June 18 at 17:31
i want the next console released on feb 30th.....that would be awesome.
I hate all things PC, and I don't mean personal computer.
Lockie
Lockie
Posted on 04 July 18 at 03:06
AdvisingMonkey2 said:
First off there is an exclusive game problem for Xbox at the moment. What would be the point of abandoning ship for the next gen? The smart move would be to develop more games for current gen, that's what all the customers want anyway. If another console comes out though I can only see it being another slim Xbox One not an entire new gen system.
I disagree. Microsoft have already lost the current generation so the logical thing to do would be to develop a new range of exclusives with all their newly purchased game studios, which will take 2-3 years so I'd say they'll be aiming for a solid exclusive line-up for the next Xbox launch rather than current gen.
Posting from sunny Australia.
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 04 July 18 at 16:15, Edited on 04 July 18 at 16:19 by Allgorhythm
Lockie said:
I disagree. Microsoft have already lost the current generation so the logical thing to do would be to develop a new range of exclusives with all their newly purchased game studios, which will take 2-3 years so I'd say they'll be aiming for a solid exclusive line-up for the next Xbox launch rather than current gen.
The X1 may not have the same market share as the PS4. That does not mean that the console is a failure. As someone who is platform agnostic, I think the X1 was successful even during its rocky start. This is not a race or other sport to be 'won' or 'lost'. However, if we were to look at it in those terms, this is what we would find:

Today, Microsoft has clearly 'won' the 8th generation hardware battle. The XBox One X is clearly superior to the PS4 Pro. For the most part, the technical superiority does not translate into a content advantage. Many 1080p only games are 'better' than many 4K UHD games. However, the fact that the XBox One X is the only console that includes a UHD Blu-Ray drive & player is significant. Many gamers do not have 4K Blu-Ray players so this is a great value added feature.

More importantly, in my opinion, Microsoft has always had the best controller. The PS4 controller has an inferior grip--an issue that puts Sony a step behind in an area that is vital to a gamer's experience. To get the same level of gaming from my PS4 Pro that I do on my Scorpio, I have had to spend about 200 USD to get a SCUF gaming PS4 Pro Impact controller that is shaped like an XBox controler. Although this is more expensive than even Microsoft's top of the line Elite controller, it is worth every penny and brings the PS4 gaming experience up to the level of the X1.

Just as it is clear that Microsoft has won the 8th gen hardware battle, it is equally clear that Sony has won the 8th gen gaming library battle. Sony has a decided edge in both library volume and PS4 exclusives.

I consider user interface to be a draw. In my opinion the best user interface is still that of the 360. Microsoft failed (in my opinion) to capture the same streamlined approach on the X1 that it had on the 360. Meanwhile, the PS4's interface improved on that of the PS3 bringing it to the same level as that of the X1.

I, personally, do not use gaming consoles for entertainment content. Many do. The X1 has the decided edge in that category.

Nintendo has a substantially different approach to console generations. When the competition decided that optical drives were to be the determining feature in the next generation, Nintendo decided to play a waiting game and lag a generation behind the competition. They have been very successful in doing so even though the Wii U failed to meet their expectations. Since I view generations in terms of their technical advances, Nintendo has not yet launched 8th generation technology. However, since many view console generations chronologically and independent of their chronology, the Nintendo Switch is fully deserving of accolades in the area of most agile and versatile.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.