Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Poll: When Do You Want the Next Xbox Console to Release?

AuthorMessage
TheDadBoat
TheDadBoat
Posted on 22 June 18 at 20:45
Just got myself a One X so hoping it won’t be for a few more years, but realistically probably 2020 or 2021
The SCHWARTZ 00
Posted on 22 June 18 at 20:56
I've had an Xbox X since launch, but after seeing the massive jump in power from the S to the X, I'm ready for a new console NOW. Just keep them coming as fast as advances in technology allows. Moar powaaaaaaa!
xXLILBRAZIL
xXLILBRAZIL
Posted on 22 June 18 at 21:00
At earliest 2021. I am still trying to finish my Xbox 360 backlog so unless the next gen is 100% BC, I hope it takes awhile
AboveHunter
AboveHunter
Posted on 22 June 18 at 21:01
i'd want 2030 or later even
Vuxur
Posted on 22 June 18 at 21:23
If there's another Xbox, it will likely be the last generation of consoles.
FightingMegaFoo
Posted on 22 June 18 at 21:40, Edited on 22 June 18 at 21:42 by FightingMegaFoo
H2 Logic said:

I don't get the thinking behind this. What do you expect to happen? Are people going to just stop gaming? PC gaming is much too expensive when you get one that can actually run games well. We're talking close to two grand or higher every time you need to upgrade.
KAW 24
KAW 24
Posted on 22 June 18 at 21:55
Xbox 360 launch was Nov 2005.
Xbox One launch was Nov 2013.

If MS keeps to that schedule it suggests another console will launch in Nov 2021. It could be earlier though if they want to get out ahead of Sony in the next generation, like they did by launching Xbox 360 a year ahead of PlayStation 3 (assuming Sony will launch the next PlayStation on a similar schedule, i.e. Nov 2021). It might be different this time around though because of the enhanced versions of both consoles.

PlayStation 4 Pro launch was Nov 2016.
Xbox One X launch was Nov 2017.

Normally if you buy a console towards the end of the generation you would expect it to be at or near the lowest RRP before production ceases. If MS releases a new console in 2020 there's a risk of angering customers who bought an X for £450 in 2018-19. They may consider it a risk worth taking though, especially if AAA titles like Halo are ready on day 1, because they can't catch Sony this generation.
Wiznyatt
Wiznyatt
Posted on 22 June 18 at 21:58
The Noto said:
Release it in 2019, but no later than 2020. They have to get out-front of Sony (and have a more powerful system).
I don't think so. Sony made that mistake with the PS3. The came in a year later but tried to push new tech and a Blu-Ray player which priced a lot of people out. Microsoft doesn't need to focus on the console's power, just the quality of the games.
KAW 24
KAW 24
Posted on 22 June 18 at 22:03
FightingMegaFoo said:
H2 Logic said:
I don't get the thinking behind this. What do you expect to happen? Are people going to just stop gaming? PC gaming is much too expensive when you get one that can actually run games well. We're talking close to two grand or higher every time you need to upgrade.
The expectation is game streaming, e.g. plug some sort of dongle into your TV for a wireless controller (or even a keyboard and mouse) and download an Xbox app on your smart TV. MS have hinted that the next console will be the last physical console. I suspect streaming services will be rolled out gradually during the next generation, and the success of those services will ultimately determine their strategy.
FightingMegaFoo
Posted on 22 June 18 at 22:05, Edited on 22 June 18 at 22:06 by FightingMegaFoo
Is it possible that we're going to get through this entire generation without a new Elder Scrolls RPG (they only had a teaser for VI at E3, so it's probably not coming out for years)? The 360 had two!
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 22 June 18 at 22:08
Zukape said:
Normal life span of a gen is around a decade. So 2022 seems fine.
Has there ever been one console gen that lasted a decade? I'm talking about where "lasting" = being the newest console on the market. I understand some like the PS2 kept getting releases for years after the PS3 came out. Is that what you meant, or are there examples I'm not thinking of? I may as well just leave this comment here until Algorhythm shows up to school me. laugh
FightingMegaFoo
Posted on 22 June 18 at 22:09
KAW 24 said:
FightingMegaFoo said:
H2 Logic said:
The expectation is game streaming, e.g. plug some sort of dongle into your TV for a wireless controller (or even a keyboard and mouse) and download an Xbox app on your smart TV. MS have hinted that the next console will be the last physical console. I suspect streaming services will be rolled out gradually during the next generation, and the success of those services will ultimately determine their strategy.
If they do that, I hope they don't run it like Game Pass. I tend to hang on to games for years before completing them.
Mental Hilarity
Posted on 22 June 18 at 22:09
I think this console is eventually gonna become just like a PC that you can upgrade.
RevRico420
RevRico420
Posted on 22 June 18 at 22:11
FightingMegaFoo said:
Is it possible that we're going to get through this entire generation without a new Elder Scrolls RPG (they only had a teaser for VI at E3, so it's probably not coming out for years)? The 360 had two!
The first thing they said when they showed Starlight and Elder Scrolls 6 was next gen console.

I'm hoping 2020-2021, but I'm ready to be done with this generation of remastered games. I feel like this entire generation, despite the uberpowered xbox one x, is just a rehash of old games, and I feel a new hardware generation might push for some new games.

If I wanted to play 360 games, I'd have kept my 360.
LadyNova01
LadyNova01
Posted on 22 June 18 at 22:14
I'm hoping for 2022 as I think that right now devs haven't managed to get everything out of the Xbox One yet so we should get like 1-3 years on it and then get a new console
No emotion, that's what business is. If I start it I damn well finish it
Mr Peanutbubber
Posted on 22 June 18 at 22:14, Edited on 22 June 18 at 22:16 by Mr Peanutbubber
I forget which option I chose, but I hope we don't get a new console for at least a couple years. I've owned the X since launch and it's been great, but I still haven't upgraded my TV setup to maximize my current console. I assume "true" 4K HDR TVs will be more mainstream in a year or so, making the X more attractive. I don't know, why rush things? If it's not significantly better hardware, I might just wait. I think Microsoft is focusing on games (they bought four studios!!) so that's my main concern in the next few years.
AndreFlash83
AndreFlash83
Posted on 22 June 18 at 22:39
Around 2021, 2022 would be great.
ragnarok0272
ragnarok0272
Posted on 22 June 18 at 22:47
I picked 2019. I miss the days when console cycles were around 5 years.
Tanelorn82
Tanelorn82
Posted on 22 June 18 at 22:53
I think it will be 2020, but I would prefer 2021. I would be very surprised if it comes later than that. MS has to hit the market strong to retake a favorable position. MS has probably "given up" on this generation. They recently acquired 4 studios and formed a 5th one. I think this is to have great exclusives for the next console launch.
Welcome to TA, where stats are made up and some achievements do not matter.
Knoell
Knoell
Posted on 22 June 18 at 22:57
Tanelorn82 said:
I think it will be 2020, but I would prefer 2021. I would be very surprised if it comes later than that. MS has to hit the market strong to retake a favorable position. MS has probably "given up" on this generation. They recently acquired 4 studios and formed a 5th one. I think this is to have great exclusives for the next console launch.
I don't think they have given up at all. With Game Pass, Xbox One X, and forming these studios, they are doubling down on it.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.

Account Settings

In order for TrueAchievements to track your games and achievements correctly, it is required that we have access to your achievements. If your achievements are not being scanned in, it is likely that your privacy settings are not allowing this. To correct this, please follow these instructions:

1. Log into https://www.xbox.com/

2. Click on My Account in the top toolbar.
My Account location.

3. Scroll down to Safety and select Manage my privacy and online safety.
Privacy and online safety location.

4. Scroll down to 'Others can'. You need to make sure that 'Everybody' can see your game and app history
Game and app history location.

These steps will allow TrueAchievements to update all of your achievements across all Xbox platforms.