Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Games With Gold Titles Revealed for July 2018

• J4CKA1J4CKA1188,499
    Posted on 29 June 18 at 13:17Permalink
    I just want them to finish out giving us the Army of Two games and make them BC, then I'll be happy.
  • Kyojin13Kyojin13571,297
    Posted on 29 June 18 at 13:58Permalink
    Uberballz said:
    Ugh. No Halo? I'm starting to lose faith in XBOX. My son is on PS4 and there are way better choices on PS Plus.
    you sound like an idiot. go play on PS4 if they have better games
  • Posted on 29 June 18 at 14:05Permalink
    heartagram1993 said:
    Uberballz said:
    Ugh. No Halo? I'm starting to lose faith in XBOX. My son is on PS4 and there are way better choices on PS Plus.
    you sound like an idiot. go play on PS4 if they have better games
    Also as far as I can tell from their game library they have played pretty much every Halo.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm308,066
    Posted on 29 June 18 at 14:17Permalink
    Uberballz said:
    I wouldn't say that. They seem to be about the same to me speaking as someone who is platform agnostic. Last month, I got Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - a game I previously bought and played ont the PS4. It was a great game and worth every penny I paid for it. Now, I get to play it again for free on the X1.
  • Posted on 29 June 18 at 15:35Permalink
    I really am surprised by how many people instantly call something garbage without even trying it. I legit get excited to see 4 games I don't own. Gives me a chance to try out a new series and see if I like it.

You need to at least try the game before complaining about it. The game doesn't instantly become garbage because it's not a AAA release...
  • Posted on 29 June 18 at 15:37Permalink
    I don’t want them to give AAA titles for free either, because it’s highly likely I already have them. I do like when they give easy completions like knight squad or the likes that cost between 10 and 30 $ and take under 5 hours to complete. Let’s be honest, even if u wait for a purely whore game to go on sale and buy it just for the gamerscore, you’d prefer if it was gwg instead. Then just complete game and forget about it, if subscription laps, you don’t care for it cause you got the completion already.
  • DeniWhiteRPGDeniWhiteRPG321,161
    Posted on 29 June 18 at 15:44Permalink
    cry
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 29 June 18 at 15:55, Edited on 29 June 18 at 15:57 by Permalink
    spankyNspronkle said:
    I really am surprised by how many people instantly call something garbage without even trying it.

You need to at least try the game before complaining about it. The game doesn't instantly become garbage because it's not a AAA release...
    Plenty of ways you can claim a game is garbage without having to play it. Listening to reviewers that have similar gaming mindsets, reading up on how game mechanics function, watching trailers, listening to the devs talk about their game and seeing what sort of games inspired the team throughout the development cycle. I can go on but you get the point.

Nobody on the thread claimed that games outside of AAA titles were garbage.
    I'm always willing to help other players boost achievements even if I already have them. Just ask!
  • Posted on 29 June 18 at 16:01, Edited on 29 June 18 at 16:02 by Elite1111111111Permalink
    TheNickOfTime said:
    Plenty of ways you can claim a game is garbage without having to play it. Listening to reviewers that have similar gaming mindsets, reading up on how game mechanics function, watching trailers, listening to the devs talk about their game and seeing what sort of games inspired the team throughout the development cycle. I can go on but you get the point.

There was a comment complaining about the selection within 2 minutes of the article being posted. You might think a bit too highly of the average forum-goer laugh
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 29 June 18 at 16:03Permalink
    Elite1111111111 said:
    TheNickOfTime said:

There was a comment complaining about the selection within 2 minutes of the article being posted. You might think a bit too highly of the average forum-goer laugh
    Downside to being an optimist laugh
    I'm always willing to help other players boost achievements even if I already have them. Just ask!
  • misfit119misfit119910,756
    Posted on 29 June 18 at 16:15Permalink
    HolyHalfDead said:
    I’ve never understood what people expect to be included for $60 a year. Some people don’t even pay the full $60. Others probably make that back just from buying a few DwG (eg Titanfall 2 was on sale for $6). Let’s not forget Microsoft still have to run all the online services from what’s left of that $60.
    Speaking strictly for myself, I'd like something that isn't some niche indie game. The 360 games are fine but SC:C is 8 years old and I'd imagine most everyone who wanted it owns it. Virtua Fighter is fine. But both of the indie games look like nothing I'd ever touch. I'd prefer to get one more mainstream game and one niche title for the One. An example, in my mind, of good months were:

September 2017
    Forza 5
    Oxenfree

December 2017
    Vermintide
    Back to the Future

May
    Super Mega Baseball 2
    Metal Gear Solid V

I owned, or didn't want, most of these games but it's a good bit of variety as opposed to two niche indie games.
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
  • Posted on 29 June 18 at 16:54Permalink
    Not a great month
  • Posted on 29 June 18 at 17:21Permalink
    TheNickOfTime said:
    Ehh, I get your point. I would argue that not many do that kind of research though. Many just look at the titles and it ends there. I also think some of those things don't always play out well. Just look at Dead Island as an example. Trailer vs. Finished Product are vastly different...

TBH, I'd even question critic reviews too. So many early copies release with bugs, and at such a fast pace, that not all reviewers have time to go back post-patch and re-do their evaluation.

I do respect the types of research you are bringing up though. It's an educated opinion, which is more than what I think 99% of people complaining in forums have... so cheers to that! toast
  • Posted on 29 June 18 at 17:21, Edited on 29 June 18 at 17:22 by Elite1111111111Permalink
    misfit119 said:
    Speaking strictly for myself, I'd like something that isn't some niche indie game. The 360 games are fine but SC:C is 8 years old and I'd imagine most everyone who wanted it owns it. Virtua Fighter is fine. But both of the indie games look like nothing I'd ever touch. I'd prefer to get one more mainstream game and one niche title for the One.
    Yeah, even though I'm not particularly miffed about this month (compared to some), I wouldn't be surprised if folks are right about why the announcement was late. It's entirely possible they were waiting to try to get some 'better' titles on the spread.
  • misfit119misfit119910,756
    Posted on 29 June 18 at 17:51Permalink
    spankyNspronkle said:
    TBH, I'd even question critic reviews too. So many early copies release with bugs, and at such a fast pace, that not all reviewers have time to go back post-patch and re-do their evaluation.
    From the critic side of things few reviewers will go back and redo their work because it screws with stuff like Metacritic. Since Metacritic removes sites for such great reasons as "too positive" or "too negative" or "gaming company X complained about you" or "you cover too many platforms" they're not going to want to do anything to remove the traffic Metacritic provides.

Many of the people I know personally also wouldn't change their ratings post initial posting. They'd just provide an update to the review that make note of bug fixes and changes. So yeah, check the dates on critic reviews. Some people I know wait a few weeks after release to review games so they can avoid the bugs at launch and recommend their fans do the same.

Elite1111111111 said:
    Yeah, even though I'm not particularly miffed about this month (compared to some), I wouldn't be surprised if folks are right about why the announcement was late. It's entirely possible they were waiting to try to get some 'better' titles on the spread.
    It's a good idea. There's very few months where we've gotten two niche games like this. Beyond the first few months the program existed they've been pretty good with giving one popular game / series and one indie game. The weaker months have been there but this is just an anomaly.
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
  • Posted on 29 June 18 at 18:10Permalink
    D'la grosse marde.
  • Posted on 29 June 18 at 18:32Permalink
    Would be great if the people over at TA would add a title that's free as a game of the month.

You'll get a nice influx of people playing the game. Those who don't even know about this site would be playing online as well which would make online matchmaking less of a headache.
    -Kim Junk
  • PlayUltimate711PlayUltimate7111,006,351
    Posted on 29 June 18 at 18:49Permalink
    misfit119 said:
    Elite1111111111 said:
    It's a good idea. There's very few months where we've gotten two niche games like this. Beyond the first few months the program existed they've been pretty good with giving one popular game / series and one indie game. The weaker months have been there but this is just an anomaly.
    I totally get where you're coming from, although I wouldn't really call these niche indie games. There are games like Kyub that will really only appeal to a small group of people. In Kyub's case it really only appeals to the super hardcore puzzle fans that want a challenge.

Death Squared is more along the lines of something like Portal. Goofy humor and simple puzzles that most people can easily pick up and solve. Fun cooperative gameplay that forces communication and cooperation as well. It's not just about throwing more enemies on the screen and each person does their own individual thing.

Assault Android Cactus is along the lines of something like Geometry Wars. Fun twin stick shooters that are easy to pick up and play.

They're not giving out Kyub or Ethan Meteor Hunter or Chime Sharp I would say yeah that's a niche indie game that won't appeal to most people. Sure, Death Squared and Assault Android Cactus aren't the super popular indies like Rocket League, but I wouldn't call them niche games. I genuinely believe most people who are open to trying things will find some enjoyment here. I wouldn't expect most people to enjoy Ethan Meteor Hunter.

Also, as pointed out by others, maybe you don't want two indie games, but there are also months where we get two games that YOU enjoy and others don't have an interest in them. Take August 2016. We got WWE 2K16 and Warriors Orochi Ultimate 3. I see you put a fair amount of time into those. I had absolutely zero interest at all. For every month that you're upset about the selection I'm sure there's a month where you enjoy the selection and many others don't.

And again, I don't think you're being unreasonable. You're not one of the people saying "Fuck this indie shit and fuck Microsoft." You're simply saying these games don't appeal to you. That's not unreasonable. Although like I said I don't think they're quite as niche as you think and I do think you can find some fun in them if you keep an open mind.
    I AM PEKE?
  • J4CKA1J4CKA1188,499
    Posted on 29 June 18 at 19:13Permalink
    When posts are so long I skip them, just saying....

Also, thanks for the free 400gs M$! dance
  • Posted on 29 June 18 at 19:29Permalink
    Awww, I wanted CoD Black Ops V and Battlefield VI. Microsoft sucks for not giving those games to me now. My loyalty to Bill Gates entitles me to be entitled to completed games before they enter development. Looks like I will have to sell my soul to another corporation now since selling my soul to Microsoft is not paying off.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.