Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Games With Gold Titles Revealed for July 2018

• ScrapcanScrapcan600,724
    Posted on 29 June 18 at 19:47Permalink
    I've always wanted to play Splinter Cell Conviction. I am late to the party.
  • WickedDeathWickedDeath481,591
    Posted on 29 June 18 at 20:38Permalink
    x Mataeus x said:
    WickedDeath said:
    Pure crap. All 4 of them.
    Bullshit. Three top games there. It's just disappointing when you've already played 'em, but there will always be people who have, and there will always be people who haven't.
    Your as full of shit as larry herb when he gets in front of a camera and starts pimping total shitty games as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The only game worth even half a shit is Splinter cell and even then, it was one of the worst in the whole series, only one worse than that was Double agent.

Virtual fighter 5 only appeals to those that like fighting games and even then they'd buy, or play, ones far better than this turd.

The other two are throw away app games and nothing more.

So where your 3 top games are at, only you know.

I hate when all the fan boys say "Free" because none of this is free and even if it was "free" it doesn't make it great or worth having. Same sorry ass song is sung about game pass......they're "free" , no they are not.

If you look at the over all picture, Xbox users are getting the short end of the stick and have since this generation of consoles began.
  • In Gyi YoonIn Gyi Yoon213,957
    Posted on 29 June 18 at 21:39Permalink
    nothing for me :/
  • misfit119misfit119910,756
    Posted on 29 June 18 at 21:47Permalink
    ORIGENxGarboMan said:
    I totally get where you're coming from, although I wouldn't really call these niche indie games.
    Respectful disagreements incoming! laugh

Death Squared is more along the lines of something like Portal. Goofy humor and simple puzzles that most people can easily pick up and solve. Fun cooperative gameplay that forces communication and cooperation as well. It's not just about throwing more enemies on the screen and each person does their own individual thing.
    Unfortunately that makes two suppositions: One, that I'm looking for a goofy puzzle game. Honestly really not interested in those right now. Two, that I have people to play with. Neither of those really appeal.

Assault Android Cactus is along the lines of something like Geometry Wars. Fun twin stick shooters that are easy to pick up and play.
    But I hate twin stick shooters. Even the good ones. I haven't enjoyed one since the days of Smash TV. And even that my blood pressure warns me against playing again. laugh

I genuinely believe most people who are open to trying things will find some enjoyment here.
    Can't argue with that point. I personally would just rather see these two games spread out across two months and get a more mainstream game paired with them. Even if I own them it'd still be more of a universal appeal.

Take August 2016. We got WWE 2K16 and Warriors Orochi Ultimate 3. I see you put a fair amount of time into those.
    Funny thing about that. If you look at when I played them I owned WWE 2K16 before August. Owned three of those games actually, so for me that was mostly a dead month. I did complain about Warriors Orochi 3 because I'm sick of those games but it was amusing to download every version of the game even if I'm liable to never play them.smile

Although like I said I don't think they're quite as niche as you think and I do think you can find some fun in them if you keep an open mind.
    Anythings possible. I didn't want Guacamelee and it's one of my favorite games to the point that I happily stacked it. I also enjoyed Massive Chalice and Runbow. But conversely I've also loathed some of the other indie games like Superhot, Zheroes, Volgarr and #IDARB so I'm always leery of the indie games they put out there.
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
  • PlayUltimate711PlayUltimate7111,006,351
    Posted on 29 June 18 at 21:55Permalink
    Yeah, that's all fine. To be clear, I do respect and like you. I just wanted to present my case for why this isn't that bad.

And yeah, it's fine that you don't like goofy puzzle games or twin stick shooters. Just like it's fine I have no interest in WWE 2K16, but it's always good to keep an open mind. Sometimes, like you said with some games, I keep an open mind and end up hating the game. Sometimes I keep an open mind and find an incredible experience that I really love.

Either way, you're reasonable about all of this and not one of the people saying "You're full of shit for liking these turds."
    I AM PEKE?
  • Posted on 29 June 18 at 23:22Permalink
    meh month for me.. oh well, Ive gotten some good games in months past...
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 30 June 18 at 00:09Permalink
    How is Microsoft supposed to please everybody? People that are expecting the awesome games they want, every month, are not being realistic.
  • KnoellKnoell348,468
    Posted on 30 June 18 at 01:33Permalink
    misfit119 said:
    HolyHalfDead said:
    I’ve never understood what people expect to be included for $60 a year. Some people don’t even pay the full $60. Others probably make that back just from buying a few DwG (eg Titanfall 2 was on sale for $6). Let’s not forget Microsoft still have to run all the online services from what’s left of that $60.
    Speaking strictly for myself, I'd like something that isn't some niche indie game. The 360 games are fine but SC:C is 8 years old and I'd imagine most everyone who wanted it owns it. Virtua Fighter is fine. But both of the indie games look like nothing I'd ever touch. I'd prefer to get one more mainstream game and one niche title for the One. An example, in my mind, of good months were:

September 2017
    Forza 5
    Oxenfree

December 2017
    Vermintide
    Back to the Future

May
    Super Mega Baseball 2
    Metal Gear Solid V

I owned, or didn't want, most of these games but it's a good bit of variety as opposed to two niche indie games.
    See this is a good reason why it is widely subjective. I'm not a fan of those 3 months at all. Still downloaded them and maybe ill play them some day but meh.
  • sanityendssanityends335,978
    Posted on 30 June 18 at 06:42Permalink
    Quantium G said:
    OH COME ON! I just BOUGHT AAC like a month ago! Sigh. I really wish M$ would atleast offer a refund if you bought a game within a month of it becoming free. It's such a kick in the nuts.
    What? lol
    Posted on 30 June 18 at 06:57Permalink
    misfit119 said:
    ORIGENxGarboMan said:
    I totally get where you're coming from, although I wouldn't really call these niche indie games.
    Respectful disagreements incoming! laugh

Death Squared is more along the lines of something like Portal. Goofy humor and simple puzzles that most people can easily pick up and solve. Fun cooperative gameplay that forces communication and cooperation as well. It's not just about throwing more enemies on the screen and each person does their own individual thing.
    Unfortunately that makes two suppositions: One, that I'm looking for a goofy puzzle game. Honestly really not interested in those right now. Two, that I have people to play with. Neither of those really appeal.

Assault Android Cactus is along the lines of something like Geometry Wars. Fun twin stick shooters that are easy to pick up and play.
    But I hate twin stick shooters. Even the good ones. I haven't enjoyed one since the days of Smash TV. And even that my blood pressure warns me against playing again. laugh

I genuinely believe most people who are open to trying things will find some enjoyment here.
    Can't argue with that point. I personally would just rather see these two games spread out across two months and get a more mainstream game paired with them. Even if I own them it'd still be more of a universal appeal.

Take August 2016. We got WWE 2K16 and Warriors Orochi Ultimate 3. I see you put a fair amount of time into those.
    Funny thing about that. If you look at when I played them I owned WWE 2K16 before August. Owned three of those games actually, so for me that was mostly a dead month. I did complain about Warriors Orochi 3 because I'm sick of those games but it was amusing to download every version of the game even if I'm liable to never play them.smile

Although like I said I don't think they're quite as niche as you think and I do think you can find some fun in them if you keep an open mind.
    Anythings possible. I didn't want Guacamelee and it's one of my favorite games to the point that I happily stacked it. I also enjoyed Massive Chalice and Runbow. But conversely I've also loathed some of the other indie games like Superhot, Zheroes, Volgarr and #IDARB so I'm always leery of the indie games they put out there.
    This guy gets it.
    Posted on 30 June 18 at 07:03Permalink
    Mannschaft570 said:
    Kanchanaburi said:
    I too am disappointed that there isn't something here for me, but seriously, you entitled, ignorant, munsters need to eat with your mouths closed and stop complaining about Microsoft. THese are FREE games. Bill Gates and Phil Spencer do not owe you.

The service MS offers with Xbox Live is amazing. The hard work, constant updates to our feedback. The ability to connect with old friends and new, is good.

The fact that Xbox live members get FREE games is not a given, it is a blessing, a reward.

We can be sad. But seriously, bitching about MS as if they did something purposely to harm you is crap!

I say THANK YOU MICROSOFT. Thank you Xbox Live. Though i will not download any of these, I appreciate it.

PS. Bring on the next set of Gears 4 achievements! headspin
    Wow you're high. It's nice to have free games, no doubt about it, but it's just marketing strategy. To think that Microsoft gives them because they're grateful for our dedication is a bit naive.
    Can you tell me the amount of free games we got when xbox live was launched Mr. King of Capitalism?
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm308,066
    Posted on 30 June 18 at 14:41Permalink
    Personal preferences, of course, vary player to player. There are months when I am very happy and there are months when I don't have very much enthusiasm for the games. Nevertheless, if I go to objective sources like VG Chartz for Sales and an industry review site like IGN or Famitsu for reviews, I find there is at least one game on every month's list that sold in the millions and was received positively by the gaming community and critics.

This month's Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction is a case in point. One may not like stealth games. The Tom Clancy series may not appeal to some. However, this is a game that had over two million US dollars in sales worldwide on the 360. IGN's review gave it a 9.3/10. From an objective standpoint, therefore, the game is a good deal.

Last month's Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain has even greater stature. It received the coveted 40/40 Famitsu rating and IGN's official review was a 10/10. It received a number of GOTY awards including Metacritic's XBox One best game of 2015. It has sold in the millions on each of the platforms for which it has been released.

The bottom line is the Games with Gold is doing a credible job in offering well regarded games to its customers. Naturally, as I said at the beginning of this post, players' tastes differ. Not everyone is going to be happy with the selections. By objective standards, though, the program is doing a good job.
  • Boots OrionBoots Orion634,765
    Posted on 30 June 18 at 17:54Permalink
    Strange observation, but this could be the first month where the two 360 games take up more space on my external hard-drive than the XB1 games.

At first, I thought this was the worst month of GWG ever, but in looking at the two XB1 games, they actually look pretty good...albeit neither are AAA games obviously.

I have both 360 games, but they are decent offerings I suppose. SC Conviction is a great game.
  • Posted on 30 June 18 at 21:29, Edited on 30 June 18 at 22:12 by Mannschaft570Permalink
    sanityends said:
    Mannschaft570 said:
    Kanchanaburi said:
    I too am disappointed that there isn't something here for me, but seriously, you entitled, ignorant, munsters need to eat with your mouths closed and stop complaining about Microsoft. THese are FREE games. Bill Gates and Phil Spencer do not owe you.

The service MS offers with Xbox Live is amazing. The hard work, constant updates to our feedback. The ability to connect with old friends and new, is good.

The fact that Xbox live members get FREE games is not a given, it is a blessing, a reward.

We can be sad. But seriously, bitching about MS as if they did something purposely to harm you is crap!

I say THANK YOU MICROSOFT. Thank you Xbox Live. Though i will not download any of these, I appreciate it.

PS. Bring on the next set of Gears 4 achievements! headspin
    Wow you're high. It's nice to have free games, no doubt about it, but it's just marketing strategy. To think that Microsoft gives them because they're grateful for our dedication is a bit naive.
    Can you tell me the amount of free games we got when xbox live was launched Mr. King of Capitalism?
    None, and it just confirms what I said. Microsoft started to give free games because they thought it could be beneficial for them (Sony had a clear advantage with PSN AND PS+; well, just PS+, because PSN was crap). It really doesn't take a genius to understand that and there's nothing wrong with it, but once again, there is no generosity or reward behind this decision.
  • Posted on 30 June 18 at 22:54Permalink
    I am happy to have the GWG program. But when Playstation Plus is getting a bonus 7th game for the month and it's Call of Duty Black Ops 3 for PS4. Microsoft has clearly lost the free games battle this month by a longshot.
  • Dragold WDragold W347,538
    Posted on 01 July 18 at 09:12Permalink
    I see a lot of complaints about games with gold but anyone here that has been with xbox 7 years or longer would know we didn't always have games with gold we just yoused to pay for the live to play online the games with gold was just a bonus they bought out so every game you get is just a bonus from Microsoft now if they charge or upped gold when they bought this out would be different but golds always stayed same price so it is literally just a free bonus from Microsoft fro having gold
    Fallen DragonLD
  • FaSCoRPFaSCoRP338,412
    Posted on 01 July 18 at 20:58Permalink
    honestly, the additions to game pass are more interesting than these.
    for me its better to play a couple of new ones on game pass like Abzu, Human Fall Flat or Zombie Army Trilogy than owning these four.
  • GoyetteQCGoyetteQC624,936
    Posted on 15 July 18 at 00:18Permalink
    Death Squared is now available via GWG.
    [Insert signature here.]
  • Goggs25Goggs251,186,530
    Posted on 16 July 18 at 01:58Permalink
    Has anyone downloaded splinter cell yet I have tried on x360 but it's still showing price for me
    Goggs25
  • Posted on 16 July 18 at 07:11Permalink
    Goggs25 said:
    Has anyone downloaded splinter cell yet I have tried on x360 but it's still showing price for me
    Weird still showing full price for me...it's 12:11 am eastern time July 16 FYI
    Matthew
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.