Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Jurassic World Evolution Review

• The GlobalizerThe Globalizer1,021,727
    Posted on 02 July 18 at 17:35, Edited on 02 July 18 at 17:35 by The GlobalizerPermalink
    I had literally no idea that this was a dinosaur park management sim. Now I'm vaguely interested. Thanks for reviewing.
  • The CiprianiThe Cipriani436,805
    Posted on 02 July 18 at 18:22Permalink
    so glad to see this game reviewed by someone who understands park building games and how they work and play and when they are well designed.
    IGN's 4.5/10 insulting review of this game is a shambles. "Not enough dinosaur action" ... what an idiot.
    The Cipriani
  • Posted on 02 July 18 at 19:19Permalink
    What is a BEAN DIVE?
  • Posted on 02 July 18 at 19:25Permalink
    IronMonkey415 said:
    What is a BEAN DIVE?
    Bean Dive 2018 Details

Essentially you start a bunch of games to destroy your completion percentage then try to build it back up.
  • WithTheDawnWithTheDawn461,225
    Posted on 02 July 18 at 22:02Permalink
    The real question is, can you make the dinosaurs have feathers like they actually did, or do they still have to look like the smooth skinned reptilian type of dinosaurs we incorrectly envisioned them as for so many years...
  • ElyohElyoh741,347
    Posted on 02 July 18 at 22:40Permalink
    The Cipriani said:
    so glad to see this game reviewed by someone who understands park building games and how they work and play and when they are well designed.
    IGN's 4.5/10 insulting review of this game is a shambles. "Not enough dinosaur action" ... what an idiot.
    You can't spell ignorant without IGN.
    No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
  • EvandalistEvandalist347,842
    Posted on 03 July 18 at 00:05Permalink
    WithTheDawn said:
    The real question is, can you make the dinosaurs have feathers like they actually did, or do they still have to look like the smooth skinned reptilian type of dinosaurs we incorrectly envisioned them as for so many years...
    Why does there always have to be somebody like you highlighting the lack of feathers in any Jurassic Park product? Yes, we now know that our vision of dinosaurs was inaccurate for many years - It's been in the headlines quite a bit in the last few years, and if anybody forgot there's always somebody like you in the comments section on anything Jurassic Park related telling us all about how wrong the dinosaurs are because they don't have feathers.

Jurassic Park is a work of fiction with an established aesthetic dating back 25 years. They're not going to disrupt that and start from scratch again just to satisfy the 6 people on the planet who give a shit enough to complain about feathers on the internet.
    Here lies a trite quote from somebody in history you might recognize. It's delightfully witty, yet concurrently incisive, and not at all pretentious.
  • BaronVoNewmanBaronVoNewman1,025,450
    Posted on 03 July 18 at 00:40Permalink
    better than the movie!
    Bvn
  • AnxsighetyAnxsighety1,201,539
    Posted on 03 July 18 at 03:16Permalink
    Does it play like Zoo Tycoon? Enjoyed that a lot, curious how close this is.
  • Posted on 03 July 18 at 15:14Permalink
    xSRYANx said:
    Similar, but not exactly the same. You can drive around, but not walk around. You have to design your own enclosures, which gives you more freedom. You can drive into the enclosures and get as close as you want to the dinosaurs. You won't be feeding dinosaurs out of your hand or hosing them down.
  • Posted on 03 July 18 at 16:39Permalink
    The Globalizer said:
    I had literally no idea that this was a dinosaur park management sim. Now I'm vaguely interested. Thanks for reviewing.
    Same here. Read the review on a lark with no interest, then immediately perked up when I saw it was a sim game.

Also, sim games and strategy games often have lower metacritic scores in general, so take metacritic with a grain of salt. Always better to listen to someone who njoys the genre to see which of these is good. From what I'm reading, I'll probably pick this one up.
  • SlipKnoT 008SlipKnoT 008453,445
    Posted on 03 July 18 at 16:59Permalink
    I have been having alot of fun with this game.

Frontier Developments know what they are doing, just look at classics like Roller Coaster Tycoon and Thrillville and then modern games like Planet Coaster and Elite Dangerous. I have always enjoyed these park sim games so I didn't hesitate to buy it.

Someone earlier mentioned the IGN review, their reviews have been a joke for years and I agree the review was awful. They thought it was bad so a part of me knew it would be good and worth the buy.
  • NawtyCawtyNawtyCawty510,916
    Posted on 04 July 18 at 07:06Permalink
    WithTheDawn said:
    To me dinosaurs will never have feathers, end of story. What do scientists know?
  • AnxsighetyAnxsighety1,201,539
    Posted on 05 July 18 at 01:49Permalink
    FightingMegaFoo said:
    xSRYANx said:
    Similar, but not exactly the same. You can drive around, but not walk around. You have to design your own enclosures, which gives you more freedom. You can drive into the enclosures and get as close as you want to the dinosaurs. You won't be feeding dinosaurs out of your hand or hosing them down.
    Thanks for the response! I never did the walking around stuff aside from achievements, I guess I mean more the sim aspects. Do I still need food/bathrooms/etc to really make my park work or is this strictly about the dinosaurs. The review sort of explains it, was just hoping for a bit deeper dive on the sim aspects.

Thanks!
  • LohginnLohginn68,890
    Posted on 05 July 18 at 15:53Permalink
    @xSRYANx

No bathrooms needed lol. There are shops and viewing areas that you can place for the guests though.

The guests aren't the main show however, it's all about the dinosaurs.
  • LavindatharLavindathar1,342,830
    Posted on 05 July 18 at 17:48Permalink
    Hijacking the thread, but I made another with some questions if anyone far in the game knows.

Some Questions
  • Posted on 10 July 18 at 23:50, Edited on 10 July 18 at 23:53 by NITEMARECREATORPermalink
    The only gripe I could see to this game, as I don't own it yet, is that the dinosaur roster sounds like it is not what it could be.

I guess that is what the DLC will be... Dinosaur Packs!!

Regardless though, I will pick it up for my son and I rocked the RCT series, Thrillville, and I recently started Railway Empire...
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.