Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Friday the 13th: The Game Ultimate Slasher Editions Announced

AuthorMessage
KBop a doo
313,849
KBop a doo
Posted on 20 July 18 at 16:02
Terrify your friends and family with an authentic mask

Please click here to read the story: Friday the 13th: The Game Ultimate Slasher Editions Announced
SilentRich69
659,165
SilentRich69
Posted on 20 July 18 at 16:12
Jokes on them I got the Savani for free.
I'm from Buenos Aires and I say kill em all!
The lMlan
936,921
The lMlan
Posted on 20 July 18 at 16:14
Hey our game can’t have new content because of a legal battle, what should we do?!?!

Release our game again with all the content that we do have out there with the Jason mask.

Seeing as it’s the only way they can make money off this product now that they are backed into a corner I guess I can’t blame them.

But showing kills in the trailer that are not in the game (and probably never will be now) is a huge oversight by them.
It's beginning to look a lot like glitchmas, every game I play
DancemaniaMania
Posted on 20 July 18 at 16:39
This seems like a dumb move, but most likely this physical content was planned before they were blocked by the legal issues and they couldn't move but forward with this.
reforc3
699,838
reforc3
Posted on 20 July 18 at 17:46
The most important thing, this announcement was suppossed to be the last friday, Am I wrong?
I Mindhunter I
Posted on 20 July 18 at 17:56
A $30 mask.
Dark Death 90
348,512
Dark Death 90
Posted on 20 July 18 at 18:13
That mask and poster are calling my name. I need it.


SilentRich69 said:
Jokes on them I got the Savani for free.
Savini isn't included.
#1 Resident Evil Fan.
MannedPython070
Posted on 20 July 18 at 19:01
I’ll wait for the mask to pop up on eBay
FierceMonkeyMan
Posted on 20 July 18 at 19:01, Edited on 20 July 18 at 19:43 by FierceMonkeyMan
There's a lot of rumors out there that it's the developers that are being difficult with this whole legal crap and the guy who actually started up the lawsuit to begin with, would allow new content to be created regardless of the outcome. I guess I'm just confused as to why the most solid copyright contract was not secured BEFORE they gained the rights to the ip to ensure they'd be able to create content for it.
Fanta Morgana
608,287
Fanta Morgana
Posted on 20 July 18 at 19:19
FierceMonkeyMan said:
I guess I'm just confused as to why the most solid copyright contract was not secured BEFORE they gained the rights to this to ensure their right to create content for it.
I think the legal status was always a bit wonky to begin with.
This game started out as a new IP game inspired by 80s slashers. I think it was called Summercamp or something like that. Appearently the then rightholder of the F13IP approached the devs and asked them if they want to collaborate. They agreed.
Earlier this year appearently someone else bought the licence from the initial holder and halted development on new content.
Elite1111111111
Posted on 20 July 18 at 19:31, Edited on 20 July 18 at 19:45 by Elite1111111111
FierceMonkeyMan said:
There's a lot of Dickson out there that it's the developers that are being difficult with this while legal crap and the guy who actually started up the whole lawsuit to begin with would allow new content to be created regardless of the outcome. I guess I'm just confused as to why the most solid copyright contract was not secured BEFORE they gained the rights to this to ensure their right to create content for it.
I don't think you understand what's happening. There's no 'most solid copyright contract'. The devs did whatever they needed to do to use whatever copyrighted stuff they put out. The issue is the OWNER of the copyright is up for debate right now. It was originally held by the Director of the franchise, but now the Screenwriter is disputing for ownership.

If he wins, he won't even get complete ownership. He'll only get ownership in the US, and from what I've read, he won't even get ownership of the 'Friday the 13th' name OR Jason. AND it's only for future content; nothing already produced. That's likely why they can sell this repackaging of the game, but not add anything to it.

Granted, I don't think the battle has been decided yet, so it's possible the Director keeps the rights. However, it's probably not worthwhile for the devs to work on content they might not be able to add. If the battle works out where the rights become split, any future content would likely have to go through both parties.

I could just be talking out of my ass, but that's the gist of it from what I can find. I'm having trouble finding good info since most articles I can find just focus on the fact the game is halting production of content.

TL;DR - The devs didn't do anything wrong, it's just possible the ownership of the franchise is going to split.
FierceMonkeyMan
Posted on 20 July 18 at 19:51
Elite1111111111 said:
FierceMonkeyMan said:
There's a lot of Dickson out there that it's the developers that are being difficult with this while legal crap and the guy who actually started up the whole lawsuit to begin with would allow new content to be created regardless of the outcome. I guess I'm just confused as to why the most solid copyright contract was not secured BEFORE they gained the rights to this to ensure their right to create content for it.
I don't think you understand what's happening. There's no 'most solid copyright contract'. The devs did whatever they needed to do to use whatever copyrighted stuff they put out. The issue is the OWNER of the copyright is up for debate right now. It was originally held by the Director of the franchise, but now the Screenwriter is disputing for ownership.

If he wins, he won't even get complete ownership. He'll only get ownership in the US, and from what I've read, he won't even get ownership of the 'Friday the 13th' name OR Jason. AND it's only for future content; nothing already produced. That's likely why they can sell this repackaging of the game, but not add anything to it.

Granted, I don't think the battle has been decided yet, so it's possible the Director keeps the rights. However, it's probably not worthwhile for the devs to work on content they might not be able to add. If the battle works out where the rights become split, any future content would likely have to go through both parties.

I could just be talking out of my ass, but that's the gist of it from what I can find. I'm having trouble finding good info since most articles I can find just focus on the fact the game is halting production of content.
I fixed my comment, my spelling was ridiculous laugh. In any case what you said clarifies things a bit. I just imagine that if I ever gained the rights to such a big, well known IP, like F13 I'd be able to have an attorney walk right in that court room and tell a judge *nope, sorry, this was the deal, we get to make anything we want with the game*

Also, how are we not even sure it WON'T turn out that way? For the devs to already commit to saying they will not create new content? I mean, why? For all they know a judge will allow a complete open door on this one game since it was prior to the suit.
Elite1111111111
Posted on 20 July 18 at 20:01, Edited on 20 July 18 at 20:13 by Elite1111111111
FierceMonkeyMan said:
I fixed my comment, my spelling was ridiculous laugh. In any case what you said clarifies things a bit. I just imagine that if I ever gained the rights to such a big, well known IP, like F13 I'd be able to have an attorney walk right in that court room and tell a judge *nope, sorry, this was the deal, we get to make anything we want with the game*

Also, how are we not even sure it WON'T turn out that way? For the devs to already commit to saying they will not create new content? I mean, why? For all they know a judge will allow a complete open door on this one game since it was prior to the suit.
As I said, the rights would be split for any future content produced, but only in the US. Yes, games are a weird case since you can add stuff to it after it's already made, but it's still new content. Also, the legal battle has already been going on for over a year. It doesn't really make sense for them to produce content they might not be able to use, for a decision that could be quite a ways off.

Since this game's content production is possibly shelved, the devs will likely move on to other things. They won't be able to just come back and work on this game again if and when the dispute works out for them.

Looking at the games patches, the last patch with actual 'content' was in May, when they added a counselor. Before that, they'd been regularly adding content up until January. I'd imagine that was the point they started having issues getting things added.
Moo Moo Dairy
552,634
Moo Moo Dairy
Posted on 20 July 18 at 20:52, Edited on 20 July 18 at 20:56 by Moo Moo Dairy
Don't support these devs, they've handled this whole situation horribly

They even included content in the trailer for this edition that isn't in the game then went "oops on twitter"
The Noto
339,598
The Noto
Posted on 20 July 18 at 22:17
I got to meet the devs on Friday, and they sold me on this edition and I haven't played it previously.

The hockey mask sold me too. I can't wait for it to arrive.
Fanta Morgana
608,287
Fanta Morgana
Posted on 21 July 18 at 02:21
I think I'll get this edition, however its a shame we wont see the Jason X map.
Copyright is such a clusterfuck, especially in a digital age, where games disappear from the market never to be seen again with no chance of buying a second hand copy or anything.
METALGAMER8
105,040
METALGAMER8
Posted on 21 July 18 at 03:40
Moo Moo Dairy said:
Don't support these devs, they've handled this whole situation horribly

They even included content in the trailer for this edition that isn't in the game then went "oops on twitter"
This whole situation has really upset me as I love the movies and had high hopes for the game, especially after hearing the new content being released for it prior to this fiasco. Now I'm just pissed off and sad at the way this game has turned out, and I'm not even going to mention the bugfest it was at launch because it seems every game nowadays is like that. However another red flag to me was that the original NES game was never even included. You'd think that'd be a fucking no-brainer.
METALGAMER8
rad fad
277,467
rad fad
Posted on 21 July 18 at 04:51
What about the people who bought the game for $40 when it came out...do we get the DLC as well?

Seriously f*** this game. I enjoy all types of game genres, but have never regretted a buy more than this one.
Mahgin
180,844
Mahgin
Posted on 21 July 18 at 10:52
I had, hopes, for this game. Bought it on sale and due to the horrible network issues, 50 minutes later and a match and a half actually played, I haven't touched it since. Always had the "well I guess they'll get around to fixing it" attitude about it. Again, with the hopes that the game would eventually be playable.

This though..
Put out a buggy, unfinished pre-release. Fast forward to the physical release and its still not ready, still a whole lot of missing content. Up to the present, where the last ditch to milk the game is to re-release it, knowing the game is a mess, and throw in a mask from a Spirit store?
I would assume it's the publishers trying to get all they can. But capital F whoever greenlit this. Should have pulled the plug and backed off once the lawsuit nonsense got involved.
EverybodysRival
Posted on 21 July 18 at 17:19
Company: Do to the unfortunate event of a lawsuit, we can no longer update the game or it's contents. We're sorry for the fans and wished we could fulfill all our promises. Our hearts go out to the fans...

Company: Oh, by the way, buy our slasher/ultimate pack for more of a experience of our game. Yes, spend the money...
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.