Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

The Best Xbox Strategy Games Available in 2018

• jasonlc3221jasonlc3221763,319
    Posted on 26 July 18 at 20:13
    Agreed about Aven Colony. The ONE partly discontinued achievement is still obtainable if you get your hands on a physical copy of the game, which is what I did, as I just recently popped that achievement. Just read the top solution, as it definitely works.
  • FreshAspekFreshAspek411,927
    Posted on 26 July 18 at 20:28
    I can never connect online with Worms WMD. Anyone else have this problem?
  • JORAXJORAX1,515,329
    Posted on 26 July 18 at 20:31
    I played one game of Dungeon of the Endless, had it crash on the last stage, and never went back. It seemed awesome but really unstable - has it received much in the way of patches?

Definitely agree with Deathtrap and Wasteland - great inclusions. I haven't played Aven Colony or Masters of Anima but may have to check them out. The latter especially as I loved me some Pikmin back in the day.
  • LavindatharLavindathar1,701,142
    Posted on 26 July 18 at 20:44
    Tropico, Railway Empire, sudden strike. All worthy of the list.
  • Posted on 26 July 18 at 20:52, Edited on 26 July 18 at 20:55 by Elite1111111111
    Lavindathar said:
    Tropico and Railway Empire are simulators. While obviously they require strategy, strategy as a genre is usually more geared towards combat.

As for Sudden Strike, it only released a month ago, and has a pretty small following (at least on here), so it may have just been overlooked.
  • HieronimusHieronimus446,996
    Posted on 26 July 18 at 21:18
    No XCOM ? shock
  • RedanianRedanian601,231
    Posted on 26 July 18 at 22:06
    The Escapists is cheeks, I would not recommend it at all.
  • NerdrageXNerdrageX594,784
    Posted on 27 July 18 at 01:06
    Always Blood Bowl 2!
  • BAD T0ASTBAD T0AST787,317
    Posted on 27 July 18 at 02:21
    Bloons TD is absolute trash and doesn't deserve to be on this list.

After playing the game for a couple of hours, unlocking the money buff, and finding a build that works you'll be doing the exact same build for every single stage. The pattern of enemies is ALWAYS the same. There's 0 strategy.

You have to beat each level 4 times because difficulties don't stack. Be prepared to spend hours grinding all the achievements doing the exact same build every single time. It's the very definition of insanity (and extreme boredom). There's 0 fun too.
  • Dresden N7Dresden N7451,082
    Posted on 27 July 18 at 02:59
    Hieronimus said:
    No XCOM ? shock
    I know, right?
  • LavindatharLavindathar1,701,142
    Posted on 27 July 18 at 03:23
    Elite1111111111 said:
    Lavindathar said:
    Tropico and Railway Empire are simulators. While obviously they require strategy, strategy as a genre is usually more geared towards combat.

As for Sudden Strike, it only released a month ago, and has a pretty small following (at least on here), so it may have just been overlooked.
    They aren’t simulators at all. They are management games. Which falls under strategy.
  • Charlie LimaCharlie Lima316,847
    Posted on 27 July 18 at 03:29
    Halo Wars 2! I want that game, but first I need to finish the first one. Grinding XP is not so fun...
  • LoneSt4r1836LoneSt4r1836470,983
    Posted on 27 July 18 at 04:09
    Lavindathar said:
    Agreed. I'm addicted to Railway Empire right now. Very strategy oriented, if not more so than Aven Colony, which I quite enjoyed. I pretty much breezed through Aven Colony where as I can spend a whole day on one scenario with Railway (including restarts to correct mistakes). Enjoyed Tropico 4 and 5 as well. Waiting on 6.

As to the article, the only other game from the list I've played is Halo Wars on the 360. Deathtrap and Halo Wars 2 are on my list to play eventually.
  • EAsucks4324EAsucks4324107,017
    Posted on 27 July 18 at 06:03
    LoneSt4r1836 said:
    Lavindathar said:
    Agreed. I'm addicted to Railway Empire right now. Very strategy oriented, if not more so than Aven Colony, which I quite enjoyed. I pretty much breezed through Aven Colony where as I can spend a whole day on one scenario with Railway (including restarts to correct mistakes). Enjoyed Tropico 4 and 5 as well. Waiting on 6.

As to the article, the only other game from the list I've played is Halo Wars on the 360. Deathtrap and Halo Wars 2 are on my list to play eventually.
    I highly recommend both Deathtrap and HW2. Great games.
  • Legohead 1977Legohead 19771,178,513
    Posted on 27 July 18 at 08:39
    Dresden N7 said:
    Hieronimus said:
    No XCOM ? shock
    I know, right?
    Surely the best strategy game?

Wasteland 2 looks interesting though.
    Legohead 1977
  • Posted on 27 July 18 at 09:36
    Halo wars 2 is one of the worst sequels ive ever had the misfortune to play, what a greedfest
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 27 July 18 at 12:01, Edited on 27 July 18 at 12:07 by
    Elite1111111111 said:
    Lavindathar said:
    If Tropico isn't considered strategy then wouldn't Aven Colony fall under the same category due to the shared building/simulation mechanics? What about Escapists? That plays more like a puzzle game than actual strategy.

McDroid (TD hybrid ) and Battle Worlds: Kronos (Turn based) would be closer to the strategy genre if we're using combat as genre defining (which I'd strongly agree with). The list seems a bit iffy in my opinion.
    I'm always willing to help other players boost achievements even if I already have them. Just ask!
  • Posted on 27 July 18 at 12:13, Edited on 27 July 18 at 12:20 by Mannschaft570
    I know it's damn old, but R.U.S.E. is the best strategy game I've played on console so far, hands down. A very subtle and challenging game.

More recently Drive on Moscow was good too, although slightly lacking in terms of content.
  • Posted on 27 July 18 at 12:34, Edited on 27 July 18 at 12:47 by Elite1111111111
    Lavindathar said:
    They aren’t simulators at all. They are management games. Which falls under strategy.
    Management games are a type of simulator. Yes it's probably redundant to have it tagged as both, but since there aren't sub-genres anymore they both apply.

On-site definition for Strategy specifically mentions 'enemies'. Strategy as a Genre is generally aimed towards combat. Just because something requires strategy doesn't mean it's in the strategy genre. Most games require strategy.

TheNickOfTime said:
    If Tropico isn't considered strategy then wouldn't Aven Colony fall under the same category due to the shared building/simulation mechanics? What about Escapists? That plays more like a puzzle game than actual strategy.
    For Aven Colony, I can't really say as I hadn't heard of it until now. As for Escapists, I'd say it's a bit more involved than a simple puzzle game.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.