Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

ID@Xbox is Five Years Old This Week - Here Are The Best Games of Each Year

AuthorMessage
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 26 August 18 at 18:46
The best and second best games of each year in the program

Please click here to read the story: ID@Xbox is Five Years Old This Week - Here Are The Best Games of Each Year
iTz Canada Ehh
Posted on 26 August 18 at 18:53
Wow I've only played Outlast, Cuphead, Rocket League and What Remains of Edith Finch. I have some ID games on my wishlist that have received decent reviews, but any more recommendations of great ID games I haven't played are always welcome!
Har Miggido
Har Miggido
Posted on 26 August 18 at 19:17
I love id@xbox!!! I've been a digital download gamer since it's birth and never been happier.
ImJustYourDaddy
Posted on 26 August 18 at 19:36, Edited on 26 August 18 at 23:05 by ImJustYourDaddy
Man, OXENFREE missed this list. It's a fucking fantastic game (Rocket League takes up the majority of my gaming time right now though, to be fair). Only indie game that I could honestly argue that it may be in my top 5 games of all time
~Ya boy Santino Hartford
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 26 August 18 at 19:47
Hellblade and Cuphead should not be anywhere on this list, otherwise better than expected solely because of the Isaac inclusion. Missing a lot of stuff though, like The Sexy Brutale , The Sun and Moon , Hyper Light Drifter or maybe Chariot. Edith Finch is also a much, much better game than that overrated shitshow we call Cuphead.
What can change the nature of a man?
guns vs kittens
Posted on 26 August 18 at 20:10
Awoo said:
Hellblade and Cuphead should not be anywhere on this list, otherwise better than expected solely because of the Isaac inclusion. Missing a lot of stuff though, like The Sexy Brutale , The Sun and Moon , Hyper Light Drifter or maybe Chariot. Edith Finch is also a much, much better game than that overrated shitshow we call Cuphead.
"I don't like it, so nobody else should like it"
Devil cracked the earthly shell, foretold she was the one. Blew hope into the room and said "You have to live before you die young"
UA Ridge Reaper
Posted on 26 August 18 at 20:28
guns vs kittens said:
Awoo said:
He probably just sucks at Cuphead.
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 26 August 18 at 20:35
UA Ridge Reaper said:
guns vs kittens said:
Awoo said:
He probably just sucks at Cuphead.
I find the people who suck at Cuphead are typically the ones who give it good ratings. The graphics are neat but that's all it has.
What can change the nature of a man?
FNSUITE GHOST
FNSUITE GHOST
Posted on 26 August 18 at 20:36, Edited on 26 August 18 at 20:37 by FNSUITE GHOST
Excellent picks! For me with ones I've played I'd go with these excellent games!

PsychicChicken
Posted on 26 August 18 at 20:38
I guess only two id@xbox games were released in 2015?
iTz Canada Ehh
Posted on 26 August 18 at 20:38
FNSUITE GHOST said:
Excellent picks! For me with ones I've played I'd go with these excellent games!

TurnOn is such a fantastic, overlooked game. It blew my mind when I found out it was made by four people. That game is better than games made by studios with dozens of people.
FNSUITE GHOST
FNSUITE GHOST
Posted on 26 August 18 at 20:44
Awoo said:
I find the people who suck at Cuphead are typically the ones who give it good ratings. The graphics are neat but that's all it has.
The graphics are neat you're right! Especially taking into account the alternate filters that you can unlock! Those can really drastically change the art style and make it feel like a whole new game. As for that being "all it has" i'll have to politely Agree to disagree. The songs are ridiculously catchy and always feel new with the random prominent / lead instrument algorithm they coded. The boss battles are so intricate and well-crafted. Maybe there could be a wider variety of upgrades or RPG like elements. Yes it is tough at some times but I never felt "cheated" or that the game "glitched" on me. The only weak-part of the game is probably the run-and-gun levels. They felt perhaps slightly out of place. It's one of those games that you can't just put down and you have to "try just one more time" when you fail. Before you know it you've completed it in one sitting and 4 full mountain dew bottles...laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xwGjvpAP4Y
FNSUITE GHOST
FNSUITE GHOST
Posted on 26 August 18 at 20:47, Edited on 26 August 18 at 21:30 by FNSUITE GHOST
iTz Canada Ehh said:
TurnOn is such a fantastic, overlooked game. It blew my mind when I found out it was made by four people. That game is better than games made by studios with dozens of people.
Well said! Bard's Gold & Unepic were each both made by 1 guy too (not same guy for both games though)! I can't imagine that kind of effort especially considering they're each considerably long games (but don't have filler to make them long) when a lot of the IDs these days made by larger teams are sub 1 hour completions. AND they're both hella-cheap! 5$ I mean come on?!
iTz Canada Ehh
Posted on 26 August 18 at 20:52
FNSUITE GHOST said:
iTz Canada Ehh said:
Well said! Bard's Gold & Unepic were both made by 1 guy too! I can't imagine that kind of effort especially considering they're each considerably long games (but don't have filler to make them long) when a lot of the IDs these days made by larger teams are sub 1 hour completions. AND they're both hella-cheap! 5$ I mean come on?!
Didn't know that about Bard's Gold! That's another game I have to finish one day. One game I'd love to see how it turns out is Tunic, which is also made by one guy (from Halifax I believe), which was just announced this past E3. After doing some game development classes in school this past year, I can't fathom making a game on my own, never mind one that turns out really well.
Messiah Muffin
Posted on 26 August 18 at 20:54
RPG elements would have taken away from Cuphead. The progression comes purely from your personal improvement, rather than artificial stats. Turning what was one a controller busting difficult boss into a chump through experience is more satisfying than a +2 in damage could ever hope to be.

But, yeah. Cuphead is a boss game. On top of the design choices, the gameplay is nice and tight. Entire thing was a blast.

Also happy to see Isaac and Rocket League on the list. Forget ID@X. Two of the best games available on X1, and the past decade. Those three are still all I've played from this list. Need to wait for them sales.
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 26 August 18 at 20:56
The 2016 games weren’t up my ally so I would’nt have picked them, I would have gone with SUPERHOT. All the other years were great choices.
MthsD
MthsD
Posted on 26 August 18 at 22:10
Now this a post.

I didnt even remember there's a The Binding Isaac.
Yes, @MthsD everywhere. THNKS
bigfatwallet
bigfatwallet
Posted on 26 August 18 at 23:00
Overcooked 2? Really? Been out for 3 weeks and one of the best this year. That doesn't say much for ID.
napoearth
napoearth
Posted on 26 August 18 at 23:04
guns vs kittens said:
Awoo said:
Never said nobody else should like it. He just said that in his opinion it didn't belong on the list. You're just as bad complaining about him expressing his dissent with the groupthink on this site about that game.
RandomlyEvasive
Posted on 26 August 18 at 23:21
napoearth said:
guns vs kittens said:
Awoo said:
Never said nobody else should like it. He just said that in his opinion it didn't belong on the list. You're just as bad complaining about him expressing his dissent with the groupthink on this site about that game.
"Groupthink" is a strange way to refer to popular opinion on a popular game, not just on this site. I'm personally in the camp of Cuphead being an excellent game but even without personal bias your weird generalisation of a literal majority of people stands out.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.