Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

ID@Xbox is Five Years Old This Week - Here Are The Best Games of Each Year

AuthorMessage
Elyoh
Elyoh
Posted on 27 August 18 at 00:22
So...I haven't played a single one of these. Hellblade and Overcooked 2 are both on my to-do list though.
No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 27 August 18 at 00:33
bigfatwallet said:
Overcooked 2? Really? Been out for 3 weeks and one of the best this year. That doesn't say much for ID.
We’re just talking superlatives. It doesn’t mean there haven’t been great games all year. It just means Overcooked is one of the two very best. The very best game can come out whenever. Many will probably adore Red Dead Redemption 2 and call it the year’s best. It comes out in October. Does that mean it was a lousy year before then? Certainly not.
Sashamorning
Sashamorning
Posted on 27 August 18 at 01:07, Edited on 27 August 18 at 01:11 by Sashamorning
Wish there were a few more from each year.

2014: Agree with both, although Never Alone was one of my favorite ID titles, period. To me, it demonstrates how games can bridge the gap between entertainment and educational. Much like Valiant Hearts gives us a glimpse into what WWI was like (albeit very watered down), Never Alone gives us a traditional tale of the Iñupiaq tribe in Alaska, and allows us insight into the history of their tribe. A truly marvelous experience.

2015: I need to pull for Super Mega Baseball: Extra Innings here. SO much better than other licensed games, SMB has nuances that other sports games can only dream of. It's also damn fun.

I also like Three Fourths Home, even if practically no one else did. There's quite a poignant story there, which is something that ID can provide a much-desired outlet.

2016: The year that ID@XBOX finally took off.

Armello is SERIOUSLY underplayed. The reason I haven't played it more is that I want to play it with friends, but it never really gained the respect it deserved from such a polished card strategy game.

OXENFREE. It's a true travesty to not be included here. Period.

Also, how can we forget Firewatch??? A truly great first-person experience that needs to be experienced by EVERYONE. If you haven't played it, go out and get it. Now. Trust me.

Finally, The Flame in the Flood is such an incredible survival game, also quite overlooked.

Oh, and there's Ben-Hur, Horse Racing 2016... wait, never mind.

2017: Edith Finch is my top choice. I liked Cuphead... but Edith Finch was special.

Overlooking The Sexy Brutale is a mistake. This was an experience that none should miss. That ending... this is what indie games should be.

SOMA was a bit of a sleeper, for sure. Maybe not top 2, but worth picking up.

2018: Hellblade. #1 by a mile.

Also, just from early reports (I'm downloading it right now), Planet of the Apes: Last Frontier appears to be making a run for one of the top games of the year.

I would also include Bomber Crew for consideration. This was a super fun little game.

Super Mega Baseball 2 also deserves a look, but overall I think that the first was a superior game.
Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
MC PHILABUSTA
MC PHILABUSTA
Posted on 27 August 18 at 03:51
Is this just the article writers top picks? Just curious is all .
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 27 August 18 at 04:30
MC PHILABUSTA said:
Yes. He certainly didn't consult me or he'd have known to put Path of Exile as #1 in 2017 laugh
iMaginaryy
iMaginaryy
Posted on 27 August 18 at 04:39, Edited on 27 August 18 at 04:40 by iMaginaryy
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
it's not for the faint of her
Was this on purpose or a typo, lol?

Awoo said:
Hellblade ... should not be anywhere on this list
Just curious, what did you find was wrong with Hellblade?
Fear is the mindkiller.
Tunaleg
Tunaleg
Posted on 27 August 18 at 04:46
Isaac 4 Life, fuck the rest
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 27 August 18 at 05:05
MC PHILABUSTA said:
Not exactly, though I certainly love several of these.
matdan
matdan
Posted on 27 August 18 at 05:16
Surprised to see titles missing like:
The Escapists
Thomas was Alone
The Witness
Never Alone
Slime Rancher
SUPER HOT
Enter the Gungeon
Cities Skyline
Guns, Gore & Cannoli
Party Hard
Mount & Blade Warband
Late Shift

Point is ID@Xbox has a huge variety of titles that are gems.
Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon, Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath!
Dark Sonic X6
Dark Sonic X6
Posted on 27 August 18 at 06:17
Awoo said:
Hellblade and Cuphead should not be anywhere on this list, otherwise better than expected solely because of the Isaac inclusion. Missing a lot of stuff though, like The Sexy Brutale , The Sun and Moon , Hyper Light Drifter or maybe Chariot. Edith Finch is also a much, much better game than that overrated shitshow we call Cuphead.
Chariot? no.
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.
IVAN83LIVE
IVAN83LIVE
Posted on 27 August 18 at 07:28
Hellblade and Rocket League 5/5
PlayUltimate711
Posted on 27 August 18 at 08:22
Sashamorning said:
Yeah, I've said it in many articles on this site, but once again I feel this article is only really highlighting the well known ID@xbox games. There are fucking fantastic games that just haven't been played by as many people. Overcooked does a ton of things well and is certainly worth mentioning, but not including Darkest Dungeon is kinda sad. I remember the last ICYMI article said something to the extent of "I was going to do an ICYMI article each month, but there haven't been enough good games that meet the requirements!" No, you just don't play enough of them. Nobody has time to play all of them, but there are fantastic games that always get neglected while The Turing Test, Overcooked, Rocket League, Unraveled, and the other super well known games get highlighted over and over. Those games aren't bad, but it's just sad to see other games neglected.

The TA release calendar only goes back a few months, but cool ID@Xbox games in the past few months:
Octahedron
Pillars of the Earth is complete now I believe
Darkest Dungeon
Death Road to Canada
Forgotton Anne
Yoku's Island Express
Moonlighter
20XX
Ghost 1.0
OH FUCK I FORGOT DEAD CELLS WHY IS OVERCOOKED ON HERE
Graveyard Keeper

Every single year has so many great games that never get talked about.
I AM PEKE?
M I K 3 ID v
M I K 3 ID v
Posted on 27 August 18 at 08:53
Definitely would recommend overcooked and overcooked 2.

Both great games! Very addictive! Currently going through the second game with my nephew and he absolutely loves it, very kid friendly plus it gets them off fortnight and teaches them how to make some good food laugh
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 27 August 18 at 09:03, Edited on 27 August 18 at 09:05 by Awoo
iMaginaryy said:
Awoo said:
Hellblade ... should not be anywhere on this list
Just curious, what did you find was wrong with Hellblade?
I gave it a favorable rating, it's not a bad game at all. Just massively overrated. The gameplay is pretty stale, and while the story is fine, the same concept has been done much better in other games, that don't feel the need to constantly beat you over the head with everything that's going on. A bit of subtlety would have gone a long way.

As for Cuphead, it's an ok game as well, just nothing special under its glossy exterior. I personally just find the music repetitive and annoying, but that's obviously personal preference. If you seriously think the boss design in that game is anything special though, you must just not have played a lot of run n guns. A poor man's Metal Slug, at best. It's amateurish as hell, and the comment about groupthink is right on the money. Only gets praise because of how much unwarranted special treatment it got from Microsoft, otherwise no one would have played it.

Garbo is also correct about a lack of lesser known games. No point making an article like this if you're not going to take as many games as possible into account.
What can change the nature of a man?
XenomorphFiend
Posted on 27 August 18 at 09:57
This article will trigger the sale I've been waiting for on The Binding Of Isaac. Thank you TA! ;)
Streets Ahead
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 27 August 18 at 11:29, Edited on 27 August 18 at 11:31 by N0T PENNYS B0AT
ORIGENxGarboMan said:
Sashamorning said:
Yeah, I've said it in many articles on this site, but once again I feel this article is only really highlighting the well known ID@xbox games. There are fucking fantastic games that just haven't been played by as many people. Overcooked does a ton of things well and is certainly worth mentioning, but not including Darkest Dungeon is kinda sad. I remember the last ICYMI article said something to the extent of "I was going to do an ICYMI article each month, but there haven't been enough good games that meet the requirements!" No, you just don't play enough of them. Nobody has time to play all of them, but there are fantastic games that always get neglected while The Turing Test, Overcooked, Rocket League, Unraveled, and the other super well known games get highlighted over and over. Those games aren't bad, but it's just sad to see other games neglected.

The TA release calendar only goes back a few months, but cool ID@Xbox games in the past few months:
Octahedron
Pillars of the Earth is complete now I believe
Darkest Dungeon
Death Road to Canada
Forgotton Anne
Yoku's Island Express
Moonlighter
20XX
Ghost 1.0
OH FUCK I FORGOT DEAD CELLS WHY IS OVERCOOKED ON HERE
Graveyard Keeper

Every single year has so many great games that never get talked about.
Just wanted to say you misinterpreted what I wrote in that ICYMI. I said I hadn’t played enough games that fit our criteria, not that there haven’t been enough good games. Huge difference, and as someone who plays a ton of games, I don’t feel there’s anything close to a good games shortage.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 27 August 18 at 12:42
Awoo said:
Garbo is also correct about a lack of lesser known games. No point making an article like this if you're not going to take as many games as possible into account.
It's the two best of each year. If the article was more expansive, surely we would include more games, perhaps even some you're thinking of, but as it's just the two very best from each year, this is how it turned out. You're welcome to make your own too. smile
True Marvellous
True Marvellous
Posted on 27 August 18 at 13:18
All good games picked but certainly nit the best no where near.
Want gameplay focused reviews check out www.youtube.com/user/TrueMarvellous
NawtyCawty
NawtyCawty
Posted on 27 August 18 at 15:19
I know it’s just opinions but there are far better ID@XBOX games around than this lot
napoearth
napoearth
Posted on 27 August 18 at 15:55
RandomlyEvasive said:
napoearth said:
guns vs kittens said:
Awoo said:
Hellblade and Cuphead should not be anywhere on this list, otherwise better than expected solely because of the Isaac inclusion. Missing a lot of stuff though, like The Sexy Brutale , The Sun and Moon , Hyper Light Drifter or maybe Chariot. Edith Finch is also a much, much better game than that overrated shitshow we call Cuphead.
"I don't like it, so nobody else should like it"
Never said nobody else should like it. He just said that in his opinion it didn't belong on the list. You're just as bad complaining about him expressing his dissent with the groupthink on this site about that game.
"Groupthink" is a strange way to refer to popular opinion on a popular game, not just on this site. I'm personally in the camp of Cuphead being an excellent game but even without personal bias your weird generalisation of a literal majority of people stands out.
There is a difference between just a majority of gamers like a game and what I referred to as "Groupthink." I've found that on this site there are a handful of games that whenever mentioned the praise overflows from people and if anyone doesn't agree they are just shy of attacked for having a differing opinion.

Of the top of my head are, Read Dead Redemption and Alan Wake as well as Cuphead. I've played Read Dead and Alan Wake but not Cuphead. I really liked Read Dead, but the over the top opinion that it is clearly the best game ever on 360 is unwarranted. It's in the discussion, but it's not clear cut.

Alan Wake is, to me, the most overrated game here. It was ok at best and had the most annoying protagonist in any game I have ever played.

Cuphead looks cool, visually, but the game play doesn't look the least bit interesting to me so I will never play it and have no real opinion about it.

The fact remains, that here on TA, if you don't unconditionally love those three games, you are looked down at as not knowing anything about games and gaming.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.