Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

ID@Xbox is Five Years Old This Week - Here Are The Best Games of Each Year

AuthorMessage
Fanta Morgana
Fanta Morgana
Posted on 27 August 18 at 16:04
Awoo said:
As for Cuphead, it's an ok game as well, just nothing special under its glossy exterior. I personally just find the music repetitive and annoying, but that's obviously personal preference. If you seriously think the boss design in that game is anything special though, you must just not have played a lot of run n guns. A poor man's Metal Slug, at best. It's amateurish as hell, and the comment about groupthink is right on the money. Only gets praise because of how much unwarranted special treatment it got from Microsoft, otherwise no one would have played it.
Care to elaborate, what Metal Slug does better than Cuphead?
As far as I'm concerned Cuphead does the Run and Gun to an almost perfect degree with spot on controls, well telegraphed and patterned attacks. Great variety in levels and other gameplay mechanics to spice things up (Alteration between Boss-rush and Platforming levels, Ghost levels, Plane levels, map exploration, ...)
On top of that it has a great art-style and a score to complement that. You may not like the music, however it perfectly fits the Art-style and every other soundtrack would feel out of place. You don't like 30's&40's style music? ok.
What does this "amateurish" even mean?
I obviously also disagree with the groupthink comment, as that would imply that there is no merit in Cuphead genuinely being a good game.
KACG FeaR
KACG FeaR
Posted on 27 August 18 at 16:21
Love how this program has brought forth so many titles that we never would've seen!
eayragt
eayragt
Posted on 27 August 18 at 17:13
Surprised that people are listing games that they are surprised are missing and then listing more than 2 games from a release year...
Say everything with a smile
FightingMegaFoo
Posted on 27 August 18 at 17:38, Edited on 27 August 18 at 17:50 by FightingMegaFoo
On the one hand I'm glad about gems like Cities Skylines, Edith Finch, and Valley; on the other I long for the 360 era of quality control, when the Marketplace wasn't a copycat Steam-like cesspool of mostly crappy games.
Sashamorning
Sashamorning
Posted on 27 August 18 at 18:40
Played Planet of the Apes last night. Definitely top 2 this year.
Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
CRUM LEE
CRUM LEE
Posted on 27 August 18 at 19:08
Still love playing Warframe. Great game!
Dark Death 90
Dark Death 90
Posted on 27 August 18 at 20:22
ID @ Xbox has brought us so many great game. My time lately has been taken up by Death Road To Canada. I bought it when it first came out and it sat in my backlog, but man, it is so addicting.
#1 Resident Evil Fan.
Elite1111111111
Posted on 27 August 18 at 20:29, Edited on 27 August 18 at 20:32 by Elite1111111111
My top through the years (granted I don't think I've played many) -

2014 - Chariot
2015 - Shovel Knight
2016 - Shantae
2017 - Enter the Gungeon
2018 - Overcooked 2

Didn't realize both Shantae's came out in 2016. Not sure which one I preferred. I gave Pirate's Curse a higher rating but it's been a while.
PlayUltimate711
Posted on 27 August 18 at 21:16
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
ORIGENxGarboMan said:
Sashamorning said:
Wish there were a few more from each year.
Yeah, I've said it in many articles on this site, but once again I feel this article is only really highlighting the well known ID@xbox games. There are fucking fantastic games that just haven't been played by as many people. Overcooked does a ton of things well and is certainly worth mentioning, but not including Darkest Dungeon is kinda sad. I remember the last ICYMI article said something to the extent of "I was going to do an ICYMI article each month, but there haven't been enough good games that meet the requirements!" No, you just don't play enough of them. Nobody has time to play all of them, but there are fantastic games that always get neglected while The Turing Test, Overcooked, Rocket League, Unraveled, and the other super well known games get highlighted over and over. Those games aren't bad, but it's just sad to see other games neglected.

The TA release calendar only goes back a few months, but cool ID@Xbox games in the past few months:
Octahedron
Pillars of the Earth is complete now I believe
Darkest Dungeon
Death Road to Canada
Forgotton Anne
Yoku's Island Express
Moonlighter
20XX
Ghost 1.0
OH FUCK I FORGOT DEAD CELLS WHY IS OVERCOOKED ON HERE
Graveyard Keeper

Every single year has so many great games that never get talked about.
Just wanted to say you misinterpreted what I wrote in that ICYMI. I said I hadn’t played enough games that fit our criteria, not that there haven’t been enough good games. Huge difference, and as someone who plays a ton of games, I don’t feel there’s anything close to a good games shortage.
I don't think I misinterpreted it at all, I might have just phrased it wrong here. "I was going to do an ICYMI article each month, but there haven't been enough good games that meet the requirements!" Given that one requirement would be that you would have to be able to speak about the game to write the article I think these games count as not meeting the requirements. I wasn't stating that you said all ID@xbox games were shit. I was stating that you don't have time to play many of the games. You have a lot to do between balancing a family, a paying job (I assume), and your work here. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but you only have 43,000 GS in ID@xbox games and you haven't experienced many of the best games. You say you have played a ton of games, but you can't speak on the VAST majority of good games. The point remains that MANY of the best ID@Xbox games get neglected while we see you write yet again on the same handful of games.

Again, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with you or what you like or how you choose to spend your time, but it's sad to see so many good games get neglected.

True Marvellous said:
All good games picked but certainly nit the best no where near.
I'm sure someone will say "But it's subjective!" Sure, individual taste varies, but you're drunk if you think overcooked is better than dead cells or many other good games. Overcooked provides a fantastic and goofy coop environment and it does it extremely well, but there's just more to Dead Cells. It's just a deeper game that objectively offers more and the things it does well are also fantastic.

eayragt said:
Surprised that people are listing games that they are surprised are missing and then listing more than 2 games from a release year...
Again, sure in an article like this you can only list 2 if that's what the intent of the article is, but we consistently see the same games highlighted in articles while many of the best games get left out simply because they don't have as many players.
I AM PEKE?
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 27 August 18 at 23:28
Garbo, I haven’t even played all the games on this list so that should alert you to the fact that it’s not just me making it. I do adore Hellblade and Rocket League. I think they’re both exceptional all-time type of experiences so naturally they’ll come up in similar lists often. But I don’t think any games on this list are misplaced anyway. Surely there are dozens more deserving to be in a longer list, but that’s not what this is. And at the end of the day it is just an opinion piece. You’re free to have a different one and I welcome suggestions. smile
Boots Orion
Boots Orion
Posted on 28 August 18 at 01:47
Sashamorning said:
OXENFREE. It's a true travesty to not be included here. Period.

In a world of shit, Mrs. Morning reminds us all of the proper meaning of the word travesty. Kudos, madam.
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 28 August 18 at 07:44, Edited on 28 August 18 at 08:25 by Awoo
Fanta Morgana said:
Care to elaborate, what Metal Slug does better than Cuphead?
As far as I'm concerned Cuphead does the Run and Gun to an almost perfect degree with spot on controls, well telegraphed and patterned attacks. Great variety in levels and other gameplay mechanics to spice things up (Alteration between Boss-rush and Platforming levels, Ghost levels, Plane levels, map exploration, ...)
On top of that it has a great art-style and a score to complement that. You may not like the music, however it perfectly fits the Art-style and every other soundtrack would feel out of place. You don't like 30's&40's style music? ok.
What does this "amateurish" even mean?
I obviously also disagree with the groupthink comment, as that would imply that there is no merit in Cuphead genuinely being a good game.
The groupthink comes from how overhyped the game was, and everyone just jumping on the bandwagon without thinking. In many ways it's basically baby's first run n gun, so seeing it get perfect scores from people who woúld normally never play the genre ius quite disheartening. The boss fights are short enough that it never gets to have any buildup and only very momentary intensity, which something like Metal Slug does much better due to the structure of the game letting the action ramp up in a more natural way. The bitesized structure here just completely destroys any chance at pacing. Then again, considering how poorly designed the actual run n gun stages in the game are, maybe it's for the best that they kept those to a minimum. I forgot they even existed until after I finished typing this. The controls also never felt right to me, there's no weight to your jumps, and it boggles my mind why they didn't just let you aim with the right stick instead of the awkward solution they instead went with.

The bosses themselves, while I can appreciate the variety in visual design, just didn't feel fun to me. In part due to what I mentioned before about a lack of buildup and context to any of them, but the attack patterns for the most part aren't very interesting either. When boss battles is all your game has, I would expect a lot more ambitious stuff than just constantly jumping over the same type of stuff, Again, I'm not saying the game isn't alright, it's just absurd to me how much unwarranted praise it gets for doing nothing new.

Also, not showing the progress bars on the bosses during the fights... idiotic.
What can change the nature of a man?
Fanta Morgana
Fanta Morgana
Posted on 30 August 18 at 16:08
Awoo said:
The groupthink comes from how overhyped the game was, and everyone just jumping on the bandwagon without thinking. In many ways it's basically baby's first run n gun, so seeing it get perfect scores from people who woúld normally never play the genre ius quite disheartening.
I know what you mean with the groupthink comment, I just don't think it applies.
I still think the game has enough merit to warant people loving it. You just make assumptions. You don't know what people have played of the genre. You argue that if people had played other Run n Guns, they wouldn't like Cuphead, which I don't think is the case and would cite myself as an example.

The boss fights are short enough that it never gets to have any buildup and only very momentary intensity, which something like Metal Slug does much better due to the structure of the game letting the action ramp up in a more natural way. The bitesized structure here just completely destroys any chance at pacing.
That is highly subjective. Is it better to have more shorter levels or less longer levels? There is no right answer. You don't like how Cuphead is structured, but thats not a fault of the game, its just a design decision that you personally don't like.

Then again, considering how poorly designed the actual run n gun stages in the game are, maybe it's for the best that they kept those to a minimum. I forgot they even existed until after I finished typing this.
This point is so generic, that it doesn't even say anything. Are they poorly designed? How? In that form you could throw that point out there for any game you would irrationally want to bash.
The controls also never felt right to me, there's no weight to your jumps, and it boggles my mind why they didn't just let you aim with the right stick instead of the awkward solution they instead went with.
Another highly subjective point. I could see that maybe a twin-stick control scheme would work, however the controls are fine to me as they are and to evidently the vast mayority of people.

The bosses themselves, while I can appreciate the variety in visual design, just didn't feel fun to me. In part due to what I mentioned before about a lack of buildup and context to any of them, but the attack patterns for the most part aren't very interesting either. When boss battles is all your game has, I would expect a lot more ambitious stuff than just constantly jumping over the same type of stuff,
I don't know what else you expect of bosses other than them dealing out attacks and you dodging them.
Again, I'm not saying the game isn't alright, it's just absurd to me how much unwarranted praise it gets for doing nothing new.
How much is there to innovate in the Run n Gun genre? Cuphead does a few things different, like the level structure, having a world map, Having spread, homing etc. as switchable items and not as pickups, etc.
On top of having a really nice artstyle. So not only does Cuphead introduce new stuff, it does what it does really well, while looking and sounding really good.
Also I would state that even though Cuphead brings something new to the genre, there wouldn't even be that much need for it, in a genre that has barely seen a new release in years. What was the last Run n gun on xbox? Contra: Hard Corps uprising? Does Megaman count as Run n gun? Megaman 10 then?
So when a genre is really crowded there is more need for innovation, but if there are barely any games, a new game that just does the basics very good would also be appreacheated.
If you go at people like: "You are just sheeps groupthinking with the mainstream that Cuphead is good" you better state some more objectively bad design decisions and flaws with the game, than just something so highly subjective. It is like I would go out and say "the xbox is a bad console because its not red" which may very well be true in my case, however is so subjective and relatively irrelevant.

Also, not showing the progress bars on the bosses during the fights... idiotic.
Lots of games don't show the bosses health while you fight them, like for example Metal Slug.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.