Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds Review

AuthorMessage
Sashamorning
Sashamorning
Posted on 07 September 18 at 06:38
I've tried to say all along that my issue was never personal. I meant that.

However I still have concerns over the veracity of the phrase "emergent storytelling."

wink
Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 07 September 18 at 11:55
Sashamorning said:
I've tried to say all along that my issue was never personal. I meant that.

However I still have concerns over the veracity of the phrase "emergent storytelling."

wink
So do I laugh
RzrsS
RzrsS
Posted on 07 September 18 at 13:33
Imo a review should be a healthy mix objectivity and subjectivity, the score only reflects the opinion of the reviewer and his negative point should have been reflected in the score.

I'm not a hater of pubg I love this game to death... It's becoming my most played game of all time (on pc), played it on Xbox as well but this game doesn't deserve a perfect score... That should be reserved for real masterpieces, and 10/10 games don't come around often pubg is a 7/10 at best, the game is fun but it's littered with bugs poorly optimized and desperately needs a good ranking system... That being said that doesn't make it a bad game but certainly not a perfect one.
Mr Gimpson
Mr Gimpson
Posted on 07 September 18 at 14:37
I'm not going to tell the reviewer what the score for this game should have been, but here is what the score should have been.
FreshAspek
FreshAspek
Posted on 07 September 18 at 14:41
I am someone who knew nothing about this game.

I clicked on the review hoping to learn more about it because I have heard the name.

I still know nothing about this game.
Elite1111111111
Posted on 07 September 18 at 15:06
FreshAspek said:
What do people think of the idea of allowing us to vote on site reviews akin to how we can vote on user reviews?
I can almost guarantee more votes would be based on 'do I agree with this review' rather than 'this is/isn't a well-written review'.
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 07 September 18 at 15:56
FreshAspek said:
I am someone who knew nothing about this game.

I clicked on the review hoping to learn more about it because I have heard the name.

I still know nothing about this game.
I apologize for that. Read this: PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds Preview
Shadow 00 Fox
Shadow 00 Fox
Posted on 07 September 18 at 17:26, Edited on 07 September 18 at 17:30 by Shadow 00 Fox
Eurydace said:
..... To me and many others, it is the best multiplayer experience you can find anywhere nowadays.
Oh no, Oh NO!!! shock
COD MW2 backwards compatible is IT you fool!! dancedance
I tell you, I first started playing XBOX with some friends playing COD MW2--I've started playing it again BC and it has been a BLAST. I skipped playing the new DLC in Neverwinter just to play more MW2. Delightful shivers just thinking about it!

Good times indeed.

About this thread and the current direction, it sounds to me like those in charge are doing the cop thing, "nothing to see here folks, move along, move along" and just going to ignore all the reasonable complaints that arose.

Act like you're listening then still keep doing it the same knuckleheaded way you did it. If TA site reviews stand for something at all, then just remove the star rating, otherwise anyone anywhere on the internet will laugh when they see the pros/cons list at the bottom of the review and the resulting 5 stars.

Honest challenge here--can any one of you show me another game that has as many glitches as PUBG(other than Goat Simulator) but also got 5 star reviews? It can even be a game with a story!
Is there any game that comes close to "Must Play"?
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 07 September 18 at 18:38
How exactly is anyone copping out of anything? If a major change to reviews is going to happen, it’s not going to be overnight. That said, removing scores isn’t going to happen (but something might). Certainly this score won’t be changed and it shouldn’t.

As for your challenge, Skyrim has a metascore of 96 with multiple 100% scores.
SinFluxx
SinFluxx
Posted on 07 September 18 at 19:56
Why would removing scores definitely not happen? It clearly doesn't create a clear/consistent understanding for people reading the review. Also, this site's only here because there was a set of numbers that someone felt didn't accurately represent something.
Mobius Evalon
Mobius Evalon
Posted on 07 September 18 at 20:01, Edited on 07 September 18 at 20:01 by Mobius Evalon
Personally, I just don't play PUBG because it's the basic shell that an actual game should be built on top of. Having played neither it nor Fortnite, I'd rather Fortnite with its actual art style and something in place beyond basic clipping geometry and physics.
My opinions are often unpopular and acerbic.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 07 September 18 at 20:04
It’s far from basic in my opinion. Sure the premise seems basic, drop in and survive, but there’s much more to it than that. I don’t think it would reach the heights it has if it was truly so basic.
Elite1111111111
Posted on 07 September 18 at 20:06
SinFluxx said:
Why would removing scores definitely not happen? It clearly doesn't create a clear/consistent understanding for people reading the review. Also, this site's only here because there was a set of numbers that someone felt didn't accurately represent something.
It's already been argued that plenty of people just skip straight to the score. Getting rid of the score isn't exactly going to increase the visibility of the article.

By your argument it would make more sense to keep the score, since this scoring metric (apparently) doesn't follow traditional review metric.
SinFluxx
SinFluxx
Posted on 07 September 18 at 20:14, Edited on 07 September 18 at 20:17 by SinFluxx
Elite1111111111 said:
SinFluxx said:
It's already been argued that plenty of people just skip straight to the score. Getting rid of the score isn't exactly going to increase the visibility of the article.

By your argument it would make more sense to keep the score, since this scoring metric (apparently) doesn't follow traditional review metric.
An opaque metric, and if you get rid of the score and replace it with a TL:DR, or a blurb or something those who do skip straight to the end will at least get something more informative out of it - or shockingly they might actually read the review.

I don't see how my argument supports keeping the score either...
dropK1CK ninJA
Posted on 07 September 18 at 21:12
Reviewing systems are just as subjective and opinionated as the reviews themselves. There is no mathematical law on the perfect method. Evan if you did a "wait for rental", as mentioned earlier, Metacritic would still try to translate that to a 0-100 point scale.

Everyone grabs something different from a review. In this case we have a pros/cons list (which could correspond to a TL:DR section), a score, and entire written summary. There are multiple components to the piece to allow for different types to digest the information.
Ask me about my rock collection.
SinFluxx
SinFluxx
Posted on 07 September 18 at 21:30
dropK1CK ninJA said:
Reviewing systems are just as subjective and opinionated as the reviews themselves. There is no mathematical law on the perfect method.
I agree, which is why I think it's daft to be so tied to a mathematical/numerical rating system.

dropK1CK said:
Evan if you did a "wait for rental", as mentioned earlier, Metacritic would still try to translate that to a 0-100 point scale.
I wouldn't say we should stick with it just because it's always going to be converted to a numerical score by someone else, if everyone thought like that then no one would innovate.

dropK1CK said:
Everyone grabs something different from a review. In this case we have a pros/cons list (which could correspond to a TL:DR section), a score, and entire written summary. There are multiple components to the piece to allow for different types to digest the information.
I also get that different things work for different people but continuing to give out a number just because it's easy to digest - even if that means people might come away with the wrong understanding - doesn't seem logical to me.

I think Eurogamer gave a great explanation for why they dropped scores on reviews:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-10-eurogamer-has-...
Memo
Memo
Posted on 08 September 18 at 00:05
Wow, lots of disgruntled people arguing not over politics, religion or the like, but a score for a videogame. How proud our ancestors would be... roll

I have yet to dip my toe into the Battle Royale phenomena (save for one abysmal round of fortnite) though I may have to give this a go. If someone is willing to point out many flaws in a game yet still give it a glowing review (thank you btw for giving your time to do so, Kevin), I can't ignore that.
Stupid people do stupid things, smart people outsmart each other.
FiveWizz
FiveWizz
Posted on 08 September 18 at 00:43
I don't know how telling this is but even though the achievements are mostly glitched currently, I still found myself playing for 4 hours tonight. Couldn't put it down.
z neo matrix z
Posted on 08 September 18 at 02:55
Memo said:
Wow, lots of disgruntled people arguing not over politics, religion or the like, but a score for a videogame. How proud our ancestors would be... roll

I have yet to dip my toe into the Battle Royale phenomena (save for one abysmal round of fortnite) though I may have to give this a go. If someone is willing to point out many flaws in a game yet still give it a glowing review (thank you btw for giving your time to do so, Kevin), I can't ignore that.
Arguing over politics, religion and the like is hostile and mean. Arguing over a game is lighthearted and entertaining. Seems you would rather see real hate. I believe you are a troll. Just my opinion.
Memo
Memo
Posted on 08 September 18 at 12:25
endersgame58 said:
Memo said:

Arguing over politics, religion and the like is hostile and mean. Arguing over a game is lighthearted and entertaining. Seems you would rather see real hate. I believe you are a troll. Just my opinion.
Arguing over anything is, by definition, hostile! My point is that it's not really something worth people falling out over - you've missed that point, so therefore I am a troll?
Stupid people do stupid things, smart people outsmart each other.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.